Ginyu Squad: Freeza's top goons, or outsourced fighters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Ginyu Squad: Freeza's top goons, or outsourced fighters?

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:19 pm

After recently reading most of the Namek saga, I came across the idea that maybe that Ginyu's team wasn't the highest ranking warriors in Freeza's army, so much as they were hired by him like the Saiyans were.

What's your take on this?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:29 pm

I don't see why they couldn't be the highest ranking. At that time, the only one more powerful twas Frieza himself. All of Frieza's other goons were nobodies. Well, at least at that point.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

I always thought they were Freeza's men but did their own thing in a sort of assassin like business on the side.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 pm

I think they were Freeza's best fighters. His own private band of killers that he used like a cool toy set.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:46 pm

I think that the Ginyu Tokusentai is the strongest Freeza had to offer. I think it was stated that they were the strongest in the universe only comparable, to what they knew, of Freeza. Ginyu even said that he thought that his strength was second to Freeza's when Goku's 180,000 Kaio-Ken was surpassing his 120,000 Battle Power.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:21 pm

Yea, their bizarre powers and techniques was another indicator for their uniqueness to Freeza (Baata's speed, Gurudo's telekinesis, Gynu's change technique). Kaio even feared them and looked at them as a threat just as dangerous as Freeza.

Kinda.
Last edited by Mike D on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:45 am

I'm not aware of anything in the series itself or the guides that refers to them as anything other than Freeza's underlings.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 am

I think they're an elite special force football team. Who dance the Hare Hare Yukai. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMd5dDP--1s (9:00)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:07 am

I think as Freeza as the most powerful drug lord and he has his private assasins for whoever betrays him and then he's got the workers (the saiyans and other weird aliens) who is passing the drugs.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:12 am

It seems to me that the Ginyu force is something of an independent assassin team, but at the same time they're loyal to Freeza... so if ever Freeza has something for them to do, their his; otherwise, they do whatever the fish they want.
... Like be the mascots for the universe's most heavily traffic'd Dairy Queen.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Terra-jin
Regular

Re: Ginyu Squad: Freeza's top goons, or outsourced fighters?

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:43 am

Dayspring wrote:"...they were hired by him like the Saiyans were.
I guess you could say that the Saiyans were hired, since they worked voluntarily for Freeza and got something very valuable to them in return - good fights all over the Universe.
It's only because the Saiyans happily accepted working for Freeza that they weren't forced to work for him. Most other races just got an offer they couldn't refuse. I think this is also where the hatred against Saiyans (within the empire) comes from. Since the Saiyans were the only ones in the empire who were able to keep their world and their way of life. Life even got better for them in the empire. If I had my home-planet and life destroyed, I'd be pretty pissed off at someone who didn't have.

Of course, the are some people in Freeza's army that were so evil that they wouldn't give a shit about their home-world. Ginyu's squad are probably like that, as well. They were born as mutants in their world, so they probably didn't feel quite at home anyway.
It's all GOOD

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 pm

It's obvious they respond to Freeza's orders, but I figured they had their own thing going too. Maybe it's just status for being the best. Captain Ginyu has authority over who is in it. I imagine the average squad is assembled by Freeza or some regional commander, but Ginyu gets to hand pick. He seems to have leeway in how he conducts a mission.

Maybe it's like Fable. You've got Academy Heroes who mill about in standard gear doing whatever is ordered, and you've got Heroes (or Villains) like your character and some notable NPCs who choose their missions like job postings, taking assignments they want. But every now and then the Guild Master or an elder Hero will have a specific task you need to complete.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Re: Ginyu Squad: Freeza's top goons, or outsourced fighters?

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Terra-jin wrote:
Dayspring wrote:"...they were hired by him like the Saiyans were.
I guess you could say that the Saiyans were hired, since they worked voluntarily for Freeza and got something very valuable to them in return - good fights all over the Universe.

Didn't the Saiyans sell the planets after they killed all the life on it? I'm pretty sure Vegeta chastised Nappa for his big first explosion because it's stupid to damage a planet you're trying to sell and it'd also be stupid to destroy one of the Dragonballs if one was in the area.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Well the plot by the Saiyan saga revolved around the Saiyans being on top of the planet trade. However, by the time Freeza was introduced it became clear that he was the head of the trade instead. In this light, it becomes strange that Vegeta would care for a planet he wasn't originally supposed to get ready for sale. If Vegeta were the head of the trade, I can imagine him being careful with planets, but if Freeza is the man, Vegeta wouldn't care about it.
It's all GOOD

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 pm

I personally got the impression that the Saiyans sold the planets to Frieza, who would either use them or trade them, etc. Y'know, the Saiyans were the wholesalers, and Frieza was a retailer, if I were to generalize the relationship.

It seemed to me that the Saiyans didn't think of themselves as goons. I thought this was further cemented with Vegeta saying to Dodoria that he did not regret the death of his family or friends, but that he was a slave his entire life "without even knowing it".

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Well the plot by the Saiyan saga revolved around the Saiyans being on top of the planet trade. However, by the time Freeza was introduced it became clear that he was the head of the trade instead. In this light, it becomes strange that Vegeta would care for a planet he wasn't originally supposed to get ready for sale. If Vegeta were the head of the trade, I can imagine him being careful with planets, but if Freeza is the man, Vegeta wouldn't care about it.
Kwi says that the Saiyans didn't get Freeza's approval for the whole Earth expedition. Vegeta may've been hoping that even if the Dragonballs fell through, he could present a planet to Freeza - a planet apparently on the list somewhere, since Kakarot was sent there in the first place.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Yeah, as a means to justify the expedition in case the Dragonballs didn't work out. That sounds like our crafty Vegeta, allright.
It's all GOOD

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Yeah, as a means to justify the expedition in case the Dragonballs didn't work out. That sounds like our crafty Vegeta, allright.
That doesn't sound right at all, to me anyway. Vegeta didn't report back to Frieza before heading to Earth.

Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz were hanging out in OUTER SPACE.

They had a planet to work on, as per Raditz's monologue.

It's apparently gonna be a pretty big job, so Raditz thinks "Oh yeah! I got a brother out there somewhere! I'll just go to earth, pick him up, and we can add another member to our genocidal party team!"

Vegeta signs off on it, off goes Raditz.

Raditz gets killed, Vegeta and Nappa hear about the Dragon Balls. So they head to earth. They possibly stop by Arlia on the way, presumably to pick up some black hair dye and correctly-colored armor for Vegeta.

Vegeta hopes to find the Dragon Balls, wish for Immortality, and then sell the planet. I'm assuming before he did that, he'd kill Shenlong like Piccolo Daimou did, if he didn't already kill Piccolo and make someone say "the balls are inert".

Well, his plan gets fucked up. So that's when he gets crafty and decides to find some deaf, dumb, and blind Namekain kid to be a Dragonball wizard.

Seemed to me that Vegeta always felt like he was freelancing.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:22 pm

But Vegeta doesn't sell planets. He just works for Freeza - he gets assignments, carries them out and gets the next one. One constraint to this assignment is that he can't damage the planet. If it's damaged, it's less valuable to Freeza.

Now, before going to Earth for the Dragonballs, Vegeta knows that Freeza won't like him going off on his own. If the plan with the Dragonball works, he can declare open war to Freeza and it won't matter, but if it doesn't he'll have to stay with him. In the latter scenario, Freeza would be pissed off at Vegeta, but he knows that if he presents an undamaged planet it may calm Freeza's wrath. Just view it as a safety measure.
It's all GOOD