Murasaki name pun?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Murasaki name pun?

Post by ssjcj » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 pm

All the Red Ribbon leaders had puns, so my question is did Murasaki have a name pun and if so what was it?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Murasaki name pun?

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 pm

ssjcj wrote:All the Red Ribbon leaders had puns, so my question is did Murasaki have a name pun and if so what was it?
Murasaki () means Purple.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:34 pm

He's also the only Red Ribbon Army member to have his name be from a Japanese word for a color rather than the English one, probably because he's a ninja and all.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:36 pm

Well, I guess I can't add anything...

But I can tell you that, instead of translating his name, Viz calls him "Sergeant Major Purple", which is kinda weird since he now has no trace of being a ninja in his name. When I read "Sergeant Major" I think of a stiff old military guy in uniform (kinda like General Ross, I guess) instead of a ninja...

Who is dressed in purple...

:o
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:But I can tell you that, instead of translating his name, Viz calls him "Sergeant Major Purple", which is kinda weird since he now has no trace of being a ninja in his name. When I read "Sergeant Major" I think of a stiff old military guy in uniform (kinda like General Ross, I guess) instead of a ninja...
That's be a correct translation of his name and rank: ムラサキ曹長 /murasaki souchou/Sergeant Major Purple. I'd argue that 'Murasaki' should be left as-is though, since like I said earlier he's the only RR member named after the Japanese word for a color (not to mention it's written in katakana, so the pronciation is important and not the meaning, more or less).

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Herms wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:But I can tell you that, instead of translating his name, Viz calls him "Sergeant Major Purple", which is kinda weird since he now has no trace of being a ninja in his name. When I read "Sergeant Major" I think of a stiff old military guy in uniform (kinda like General Ross, I guess) instead of a ninja...
That's be a correct translation of his name and rank: ムラサキ曹長 /murasaki souchou/Sergeant Major Purple. I'd argue that 'Murasaki' should be left as-is though, since like I said earlier he's the only RR member named after the Japanese word for a color (not to mention it's written in katakana, so the pronciation is important and not the meaning, more or less).
... I suck.

Isn't he referred to as "Ninja Murasaki" sometime, somewhere? In the dub, perchance, perhaps?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Isn't he referred to as "Ninja Murasaki" sometime, somewhere? In the dub, perchance, perhaps?
"Ninja Murasaki" is the title of chapter 60.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Herms wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:Isn't he referred to as "Ninja Murasaki" sometime, somewhere? In the dub, perchance, perhaps?
"Ninja Murasaki" is the title of chapter 60.
The dub did call him that. It also gave him a Japanese accent, which probably made a lot of fans of the original Japanese happy.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:57 pm

I just learned in my world history class the other day that the worlds first novel (The Tale of Genji) was written by the Japanese noblewomen Murasaki Shikibu. I know that there is no correlation between the two people, but my heard definitely shot up in class when I heard the word Murasaki and thought it was something worth mentioning here. :)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:44 pm

I wonder how many people who read the VIZ manga know that "Murasaki" means "purple." Probably not a lot.

So, rather than making some sort of footnote, they just translated his name.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Kendamu wrote:I wonder how many people who read the VIZ manga know that "Murasaki" means "purple." Probably not a lot.

So, rather than making some sort of footnote, they just translated his name.
That could very well be their reasoning, but it's one thing I don't like about translation companies. Things like that don't have to be in your face and obvious. Sometimes it's nice to find out years later that there was a pun there you didn't know about.

But that might just be me.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:02 am

Herms wrote:He's also the only Red Ribbon Army member to have his name be from a Japanese word for a color rather than the English one, probably because he's a ninja and all.
Yep, all of the others (in Japanese) have names in English.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 am

Even in Arabic dub he was called Murasaki

BTW... is his sword ((Sasanishiki)) named after something?

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:BTW... is his sword ((Sasanishiki)) named after something?
The kanji translates out to "bamboo grass brocade". I think it's just supposed to be a stereotypical ninja sword kind of name.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 pm

ササニシキ is type of Japanese rice as well.