Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Episode #0483 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (Spotify version) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
1:47:06; 96 kbps, mono; 73.7 MB

Episode #0483! Mike brings various wiki gang members back together again to chat up the history of Viz's manga release in America (and various changes throughout multiple printings), music cataloging, hacking away at video games to enable lost features, and fun filler factoids! Stay tuned toward the end for various bits of future website teases!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 03:44 – Viz Manga History & Music Catalog w/ Terez
  • 30:54 – Hacking Away at Budokai 1 w/ PSP
  • 44:31 – Afterlife Tournament w/ JRP
  • 1:03:58 – Website Chat w/ Hujio
REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

Post by Zestanor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Great discussion with Terez about the music cataloguing. The Kikuchi score is more or less the DB thing I still care about. Judging from the relatively quiet music subforum, I would never have expected someone to have the drive to make what sounds like several hundreds of wiki pages.

You mentioned film tracks that were not used in the film, but later got used in the series: this definitely happens with the films 1-3. There is one track that is obviously part of the film 2 score but that was only used in the TV series. It actually seems to have been composed for a certain scene in film 2 (Lunch escaping by motorcycle) but I guess they decided not to put it in.

And here’s one from the same film that never got used until DBZ!

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am

Today I learnt that there's a Kanzenshuu subreddit?? When did this happen????

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am

KBABZ wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's not that Kanzenshuu explicitly has anything to do with it, but rather that Terez and the other /r/dbz mods (another location that Kanzenshuu has no ownership of) acquired /r/dragonball a while back, and decided to put it to use for discussion-only topics now.

I know it's weird since Terez is one of our wiki admins here, so I guess there is and can see why people might think there's some Kanzenshuu "control" over it, but myself/Heath/Julian have absolutely nothing to do with its administration, and just think it's all well-maintained and like to pop in every so often!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am
KBABZ wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's not that Kanzenshuu explicitly has anything to do with it, but rather that Terez and the other /r/dbz mods (another location that Kanzenshuu has no ownership of) acquired /r/dragonball a while back, and decided to put it to use for discussion-only topics now.

I know it's weird since Terez is one of our wiki admins here, so I guess there is and can see why people might think there's some Kanzenshuu "control" over it, but myself/Heath/Julian have absolutely nothing to do with its administration, and just think it's all well-maintained and like to pop in every so often!
Ah gotcha! Personally I'll always prefer forums such as this one because everything can be organized appropriately. I don't like the "everything in one place, popularity goes first" approach Reddit uses.

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am

Just finished the episode! Fun and insightful to hear about the wiki as always. I am wondering: how are you capturing the images from the video games? Emulators?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am

KBABZ wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am
Just finished the episode! Fun and insightful to hear about the wiki as always. I am wondering: how are you capturing the images from the video games? Emulators?
Combination of emulators, external hardware capture, and internal hardware/software solutions (like CFW on 3DS). If an emulator is being used, we’re going for the best/highest compatibility and accuracy and screenshots at native resolution.

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am
KBABZ wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am
Combination of emulators, external hardware capture, and internal hardware/software solutions (like CFW on 3DS). If an emulator is being used, we’re going for the best/highest compatibility and accuracy and screenshots at native resolution.
Gotcha, that's good to hear! After becoming a fan of My Life in Gaming I've become a bit of a stickler for hardware accuracy, which is why I play my PS1 games through an OSSC*. PS1 in particular I see mis-represented a lot when it's emulated because people bump up not just the rendering resolution, but the colour depth as well (which removes dithering), and it isn't authentic to what those old games look like as that's more than the system was capable of. Not to mention being stretched to widescreen...

*What's an OSSC? Weeeeell...