Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Episode #0483 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (Spotify version) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
1:47:06; 96 kbps, mono; 73.7 MB

Episode #0483! Mike brings various wiki gang members back together again to chat up the history of Viz's manga release in America (and various changes throughout multiple printings), music cataloging, hacking away at video games to enable lost features, and fun filler factoids! Stay tuned toward the end for various bits of future website teases!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 03:44 – Viz Manga History & Music Catalog w/ Terez
  • 30:54 – Hacking Away at Budokai 1 w/ PSP
  • 44:31 – Afterlife Tournament w/ JRP
  • 1:03:58 – Website Chat w/ Hujio
REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Episode #0483 (26 July 2020)

Post by Zestanor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Great discussion with Terez about the music cataloguing. The Kikuchi score is more or less the DB thing I still care about. Judging from the relatively quiet music subforum, I would never have expected someone to have the drive to make what sounds like several hundreds of wiki pages.

You mentioned film tracks that were not used in the film, but later got used in the series: this definitely happens with the films 1-3. There is one track that is obviously part of the film 2 score but that was only used in the TV series. It actually seems to have been composed for a certain scene in film 2 (Lunch escaping by motorcycle) but I guess they decided not to put it in.

And here’s one from the same film that never got used until DBZ!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am

Today I learnt that there's a Kanzenshuu subreddit?? When did this happen????

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am Today I learnt that there's a Kanzenshuu subreddit?? When did this happen????
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's not that Kanzenshuu explicitly has anything to do with it, but rather that Terez and the other /r/dbz mods (another location that Kanzenshuu has no ownership of) acquired /r/dragonball a while back, and decided to put it to use for discussion-only topics now.

I know it's weird since Terez is one of our wiki admins here, so I guess there is and can see why people might think there's some Kanzenshuu "control" over it, but myself/Heath/Julian have absolutely nothing to do with its administration, and just think it's all well-maintained and like to pop in every so often!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am Today I learnt that there's a Kanzenshuu subreddit?? When did this happen????
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's not that Kanzenshuu explicitly has anything to do with it, but rather that Terez and the other /r/dbz mods (another location that Kanzenshuu has no ownership of) acquired /r/dragonball a while back, and decided to put it to use for discussion-only topics now.

I know it's weird since Terez is one of our wiki admins here, so I guess there is and can see why people might think there's some Kanzenshuu "control" over it, but myself/Heath/Julian have absolutely nothing to do with its administration, and just think it's all well-maintained and like to pop in every so often!
Ah gotcha! Personally I'll always prefer forums such as this one because everything can be organized appropriately. I don't like the "everything in one place, popularity goes first" approach Reddit uses.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am

Just finished the episode! Fun and insightful to hear about the wiki as always. I am wondering: how are you capturing the images from the video games? Emulators?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am Just finished the episode! Fun and insightful to hear about the wiki as always. I am wondering: how are you capturing the images from the video games? Emulators?
Combination of emulators, external hardware capture, and internal hardware/software solutions (like CFW on 3DS). If an emulator is being used, we’re going for the best/highest compatibility and accuracy and screenshots at native resolution.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am
KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am Just finished the episode! Fun and insightful to hear about the wiki as always. I am wondering: how are you capturing the images from the video games? Emulators?
Combination of emulators, external hardware capture, and internal hardware/software solutions (like CFW on 3DS). If an emulator is being used, we’re going for the best/highest compatibility and accuracy and screenshots at native resolution.
Gotcha, that's good to hear! After becoming a fan of My Life in Gaming I've become a bit of a stickler for hardware accuracy, which is why I play my PS1 games through an OSSC*. PS1 in particular I see mis-represented a lot when it's emulated because people bump up not just the rendering resolution, but the colour depth as well (which removes dithering), and it isn't authentic to what those old games look like as that's more than the system was capable of. Not to mention being stretched to widescreen...

*What's an OSSC? Weeeeell...

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Pretty good episode, I was curious if you are planning on dedicating an entire podcast towards the Harmony Gold dub now that the whole thing has finally been found? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on that dub versus the Funi/Blue Water dubs of DB.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm Pretty good episode, I was curious if you are planning on dedicating an entire podcast towards the Harmony Gold dub now that the whole thing has finally been found? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on that dub versus the Funi/Blue Water dubs of DB.
Maybe he's waiting until I finish the reconstruction, haha.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:02 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm Pretty good episode, I was curious if you are planning on dedicating an entire podcast towards the Harmony Gold dub now that the whole thing has finally been found? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on that dub versus the Funi/Blue Water dubs of DB.
Oh you're working on reconstructing those episodes? Cool.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:14 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:02 pm
Oh you're working on reconstructing those episodes? Cool.
Oh yeah! It's in the original HG dub thread, but I've replaced all the video footage with better sources from the Dragon Box, redid the eyecatch animations and the credits, stuff like that.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Great podcast and topics, but something has been bugging me. I've been reading comics for most of my life and I don't think I've ever heard them referred to as "floppies." Not sure if this is some kind of East Coast term I could be unfamiliar with? Whenever I hear the word "floppies", my mind goes to floppy disk. I get why they could be called that, but just have never heard them referenced as such.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:11 am

Son Gara wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm Great podcast and topics, but something has been bugging me. I've been reading comics for most of my life and I don't think I've ever heard them referred to as "floppies." Not sure if this is some kind of East Coast term I could be unfamiliar with? Whenever I hear the word "floppies", my mind goes to floppy disk. I get why they could be called that, but just have never heard them referenced as such.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_ ... Comic_book
A comic book, also known as a comic or floppy, is a periodical, normally thin in size and stapled together. Comic books have a greater variety of units of encapsulation than comic strips, including the panel, the page, the spread, and inset panels. They are also capable of more sophisticated layouts and compositions. A floppy comic is also known as an American comic book.
And while most of my English discussion of comics has been online rather than in person, I can attest to "floppy" having been the standard term everywhere I've seen. It's handy to have a term that refers specifically to those comic periodicals and can't be confused with anything else.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Weird, just never heard that term anywhere online or in person in my experience.
Adamant wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:11 am It's handy to have a term that refers specifically to those comic periodicals and can't be confused with anything else.
I mean besides the aforementioned floppy disk, which I know those were referred to as, thus the confusion.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 am

Son Gara wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm I mean besides the aforementioned floppy disk, which I know those were referred to as, thus the confusion.
Obviously, but that's a separate topic entirely. But when people are talking about, say, buying floppies as they come out or waiting for them to get collected in a trade, it's handy to have a more specific word you can use than just "comic book".

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Sorry for zombie-posting in this thread when we have a new podcast out but I kinda only vaguely knew that there was a subforum here for discussing podcasts and it somehow never occurred to me to check it after episodes I was on so I am also sorry for being late.
Zestanor wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm Great discussion with Terez about the music cataloguing. The Kikuchi score is more or less the DB thing I still care about. Judging from the relatively quiet music subforum, I would never have expected someone to have the drive to make what sounds like several hundreds of wiki pages.
I think if I was more of a forum person these days then I probably would not have the time for any of it. I definitely have the drive for it but I have a tendency to only come up for air when I need help with something specific (and you and kenisu both have been very helpful). I had to take a break from music stuff for a bit to finish grinding out Super chapter pages and now I'm doing some work on some other ongoing projects. I want to get back to Kikuchi soon; I drove to Chicago the other day to buy V-Jump and I had intended to loop the Kikuchi stuff I've catalogued already but I ended up skipping off before I got to Movie 1 and bingeing Mori's SDBH soundtrack instead. It just came out, and I already catalogued it—it took two days—but that was the first time I just listened to it straight through.

It will take more than a year for me to catalogue Kikuchi, and that's with most of the work already being done. Even if I was just copying kenisu's work to the wiki as-is, it would be a lot of formatting work, but I'm going through everything to make sure it's right (so far, it's mostly right) and giving everything sequential catalogue numbers. And every track will have its own page with usage tables and analysis, eventually. Theme groups will have individual pages. One day!
Zestanor wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pmYou mentioned film tracks that were not used in the film, but later got used in the series: this definitely happens with the films 1-3. There is one track that is obviously part of the film 2 score but that was only used in the TV series. It actually seems to have been composed for a certain scene in film 2 (Lunch escaping by motorcycle) but I guess they decided not to put it in.

And here’s one from the same film that never got used until DBZ!
I learned all this from the kenisu tables and talking with y'all after I went through the movie over on the music forum.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 amI know it's weird since Terez is one of our wiki admins here, so I guess there is and can see why people might think there's some Kanzenshuu "control" over it, but myself/Heath/Julian have absolutely nothing to do with its administration, and just think it's all well-maintained and like to pop in every so often!
Can confirm. They just gave us "control" over their wiki! Emma (who owns r/dragonball and is #2 on r/dbz and is my boss on Reddit generally) did a lot of work porting site guides to wiki pages (and Heath also did a ton of the fundamental work) but I have been doing most of the grinding since between the two of us and I am cool with that. Emma has always been a fan of the Kanzenshuu way of doing things; I was a dubbie until 2015 unless you count my worn-out bootleg of movies 11-13, which I loved with my whole soul. Between 2005 and 2015 I only read the manga (though I did watch the 2008 special).
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 amPersonally I'll always prefer forums such as this one because everything can be organized appropriately. I don't like the "everything in one place, popularity goes first" approach Reddit uses.
Same tbh. I have always been a forum person. I spent years on Wheel of Time forums that were very much like this one. When I found out in 2015 that there was new DB content I came here and looked around and decided that I was way too casual a DB fan to contribute anything here and that was how I ended up using my Reddit account for the first time since I registered it for a Brandon Sanderson AMA in 2011. I knew that it was only a matter of time before I went all-in hardcore nerd on Dragon Ball like I did in the WoT fandom, but I was very much not there yet in late 2015 so I just started showing up for r/dbz episode discussion threads at the point where I caught up, which was DBS episode 24.
Son Gara wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pmGreat podcast and topics, but something has been bugging me. I've been reading comics for most of my life and I don't think I've ever heard them referred to as "floppies." Not sure if this is some kind of East Coast term I could be unfamiliar with? Whenever I hear the word "floppies", my mind goes to floppy disk. I get why they could be called that, but just have never heard them referenced as such.
This is one of the ongoing projects that I have started getting back to. We're calling them the Viz Monthly Comics on the wiki. I was buying VHS tapes at a comic shop from about 1999-2004, but I don't remember ever seeing them. I'm sure I did; I just have no memory of it. But now I own all of them and I am making pages for every issue, and when I call them "floppies", it's because that's what Mike calls them.