DBKai: Overall Saiyan Saga Opinion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

DBKai: Overall Saiyan Saga Opinion

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm getting ready to do a video review of the first saga of Dragon Ball Kai, and for script ideas I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting your opinions on how well Dragon Ball Kai handled the first saga, in terms of redrawn scenes, pacing, voice acting, music, whatever! Thanks a lot!

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Actually, I thought that the Saiyan Saga, in general was handled great.

Oe of my complaints was that some of the filler relating to Gohan's training, by being taken out, made his character devolpment way too fast. He turned from constant crybaby to a well-worn child I suppose, in like, one episode, and that really bothered me.

Also, some of the voice actors sounded really off. Like, Hiromi Tsuru, who does Bulma. I don't even watch the Japanese version, and she felt like she forgot how to do Bulma, especially when she cries or yells.

Other than that, Kai was good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. Censoring is bad!!! I wish they would stop that.
Last edited by VenomSymbiote on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Immensely enjoyable. Minor nitpicks like Tanaka's Yajirobe and missing manga scenes, but other than that, it's more or less what they should have done twenty years ago.

They could have also paid more attention to their edits. The Kikoho isn't checkered.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm

B wrote:They could have also paid more attention to their edits. The Kikoho isn't checkered.
Wasn't that fixed for the actual episode, though?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Overall it was pretty good, but some voice acting bothered me, like Ryu's(Vegeta). His voice acting was really off in episode 14, like when he was angry and yelling he sounded like some old man who can't yell enough, so he used all of his might..Bulma's voice acting also was pretty off even though I don't pay much attention to her.

The editing of the Raditz episodes kind of bothered me in some area, like in episode 3 they finished the whole battle in 1 episode and they had to sacrifice a lot of manga material to end the battle, the biggest thing that bothered me was Goku's death from a bruise and Nappa and Vegeta's introduction.

Tien's kikohou also lost its impact, I know that its the Pokemon syndrome but they could have put more effort in making it a bit flashy so it can give the viewer some impact.

The music isn't as good as DBZ but in some episodes the music is a lot better than the actual Z episodes, so its ok.

Overall redrawn scenes were pretty horrible, especially in episode 3, its like they were drawn in flash. I really hope the redrawn material will get good and serious for the Namek saga.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Vino wrote:
Overall redrawn scenes were pretty horrible, especially in episode 3, its like they were drawn in flash. I really hope the redrawn material will get good and serious for the Namek saga.
Oh god, I remember that, its when Raditz did a double-flying-back-kick-attack-thing on Goku and Piccolo and then later when Raditz was about to blast Gohan. I was thinking to myself, wait, did they just use footage from Budokai 1?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
B wrote:They could have also paid more attention to their edits. The Kikoho isn't checkered.
Wasn't that fixed for the actual episode, though?
Yes. Yes it was.

Anywho, I liked the Saiyan arc overall. Bulma was a little weak but she barely has a part in the Saiyan arc so it didn't bother me much. Maybe it'll bother me a bit more during the Namek arc since she has a bit bigger of a part there.

The only other thing that bothered me was, in the episode Goku was wished back, Gohan was all beat up wearing his orange dougi, the scene switched to something else, then it went back to him and Piccolo less than a minute later and he was looking great and wearing his purple dougi. Weird things like that make the pacing feel kinda weird.

Really, though, overall I really like Kai so far and that's no surprise to anyone. I'm sure I'll like it even more as the arcs that have more filler get underway and get their proper cuts.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:10 pm

The only thing that bothered me was he Makkankosapo scene and the fact that a few scenes from the manga was missing, while some filler was left in (I know it wasn't a lot)

And the very first re animated scenes were done horribly

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Kendamu wrote:Anywho, I liked the Saiyan arc overall. Bulma was a little weak but she barely has a part in the Saiyan arc so it didn't bother me much. Maybe it'll bother me a bit more during the Namek arc since she has a bit bigger of a part there.
I figure she'll have a similar presence in the next arc because weren't most of her adventures on Namek filler? I seem to have forgotten. :S

I really enjoyed the Saiyan arc too, I especially love the Goku vs Vegeta beam struggle. The reanimated parts of that particular scene looked stunning.
At first I didn't like the BMG. It felt way too video game like for me but as the series has progressed I've really begun to enjoy it. I liked Over the Star as an insert song very much.

Overall now it's settled down it's shaping up to be a great adaptation of the series.
Hearing Freeza's chuckle this week gave me chills!
I can't wait for more! :)
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Sunlight & City Night wrote:I figure she'll have a similar presence in the next arc because weren't most of her adventures on Namek filler? I seem to have forgotten. :S
In the manga, Bulma basically spends all of the Namek storyline hiding in various locations, out of sight and out of mind.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Herms wrote:In the manga, Bulma basically spends all of the Namek storyline hiding in various locations, out of sight and out of mind.
I thought that was the case. Thank you for the reminder Herms.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Knowing Kai, they'll throw in a few things here and there from filler just to give Bulma a couple seconds to whine in between scenes, similar to how they left a tiny bit of the "side-characters watching TV" stuff in the Saiyan arc.
(they/she)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Wonderful, Essentially, Kai's pacing is what it should have been in the first place.

there were some MINOR nitpicks, Tsuru's performance as Bulma left something to be desired, among a few other things, but overall thanks to the Pacing, I REALLY love this version, MUCH better than Z.

And Namek Can only be LEAGUES better! That's when the filler truly got unbearable.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:17 pm

Not only is the pacing great, but I really like the music, too! I would've liked to hear the original DBZ music just for that extra kick of nostalgia because, believe me,I really like the Z music. However, the Kai music is pretty amazing, too! I especially like the music from when Goku first shows up at the Saiyan battle. They play it a few more times while he's fighting, but it's heard best when he first shows up. The Saban/FUNi dub, the original version, and Kai all have good music for that scene. I hope they play it again when he shows up on Namek.
(they/she)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Kendamu wrote:Knowing Kai, they'll throw in a few things here and there from filler just to give Bulma a couple seconds to whine in between scenes, similar to how they left a tiny bit of the "side-characters watching TV" stuff in the Saiyan arc.
I believe the TV filler was left in to show us that they were watching the battle on TV, since the "the group finds out who was killed" scene had been rewritten into a "they already knew" scene by Z, and the video didn't really allow for the original manga dialouge to be worked in.

Had DBZ been reworked to make the hologram moon episode actually work with the "Goku's spaceship" stuff in the Freeza arc instead of ignored completely, they'd have left that in, too.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Kai is good enough so far that, once it's out, it's unlikely that I will ever bother with DBZ again.

There are plenty of irritating, even maddening, issues (editing choices, some of the voice acting, repetitive music cues), but the bottom line is that DBZ had absolutely horrendous pacing, and only did so due to the necessity brought about by an ever-present "real life" issue (the speed of the manga). Kai liberates Toriyama's story from that constraint, and it plays SO much better now. As has been said, that effect will be even more pronounced in the current and future sagas.

As Kai goes on, and the controversies around it fade, I really think that fans are going to come to regard Z as inferior by comparison.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Kai_fan wrote:As Kai goes on, and the controversies around it fade, I really think that fans are going to come to regard Z as inferior by comparison.
Perhaps the new fans... :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Hmm, so everyone here is supportive of Dragon Ball Kai? Anyone here who isn't liking how its turning out?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Hmm, so everyone here is supportive of Dragon Ball Kai?
No.
ShinRogafuken wrote:Anyone here who isn't liking how it's turning out?
/me raises hand

I'm just... so thoroughly disinterested.

More to come next week on the podcast.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:I'm just... so thoroughly disinterested.
I lost interest at around episode 3 or 4... :(

I still watch it every now and then, but only out of sheer curiosity of the handling of certain scenes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash