Majin Boo's arc of Kai has 69 eps and DBZ has 71..?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Majin Boo's arc of Kai has 69 eps and DBZ has 71..?!

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Dragon Ball Z's Majin Boo arc had 71 episodes (220-291) and in Dragon Ball Kai it's 69 episodes so the difference is just of 2 episodes.. So what actually makes this better?

Picture quality? No.
Music? No.
Voice acting? It'll be nice to hear the Japanese cast (with some re-casts) again with clean high quality audio but inferior to the 90's performance.

To be honest, I was expecting for this batch of the series to be 30-40 episodes long but 69 episodes? Why even bother it's just as big as the Z edition.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Majin Boo's arc of Kai has 69 eps and DBZ has 71..?!

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Uh... Z's is 91 episodes. Kai starts from Z 200, and Z is 291 episodes long.

It's definitely not as large of a cut as I would like, but 22 episodes being removed is still better than nothing. Plus, I personally like the new English dub. Still, if I watch it in Japanese, I likely would stick with regular Z.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm

200 - 291, not 220 - 291. 22 episodes of content cut.

Also, did this really need to be it's own topic?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Boo arc Kai is going to be 69 episodes long? Where did this information come from?
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Buu was the longest story in the series, so naturally it would have more episodes. Great Saiyaman, World Tournament, Babidi, Buu, Super Buu, Fusion and then Kid Buu.

You can't cut out much of the Buu episodes imo, they are all linked together quite well.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 am

As others have said, the Boo arc starts at 200, so it's 92 episodes, not 71. And even if it did start at 220, that's 72 episodes, not 71. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:45 am

kenisu3000 wrote:Boo arc Kai is going to be 69 episodes long? Where did this information come from?
Toei's website.
LordCrumb wrote:Buu was the longest story in the series, so naturally it would have more episodes. Great Saiyaman, World Tournament, Babidi, Buu, Super Buu, Fusion and then Kid Buu.

You can't cut out much of the Buu episodes imo, they are all linked together quite well.
Well, counting all those then it explains why it's larger than I expected it to be. I was thinking from 220 to 291 which is Babidi's & Majin Boo's arc.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 am

If you read the actual Manga of the Buu arc, you'll understand that it has an incredibly quick pace at many points - to the extent where if you were to replicate exactly what happens panel-by-panel in an animated series without any padding out, the result would be almost un-watchable.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this isn't just another case of Toei trying to string out as much product as possible - as I'm sure that has played a part, but I think the 69 episodes will make a lot more sense when you get to the 'Ultimate Gohan' fight and beyond. Most of the jarring filler and poor pacing in the Buu arc is towards the beginning, and Z is actually quite well rounded after the Gotenks fight.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 am

Blade wrote:If you read the actual Manga of the Buu arc, you'll understand that it has an incredibly quick pace at many points - to the extent where if you were to replicate exactly what happens panel-by-panel in an animated series without any padding out, the result would be almost un-watchable.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this isn't just another case of Toei trying to string out as much product as possible - as I'm sure that has played a part, but I think the 69 episodes will make a lot more sense when you get to the 'Ultimate Gohan' fight and beyond. Most of the jarring filler and poor pacing in the Buu arc is towards the beginning, and Z is actually quite well rounded after the Gotenks fight.
That string of fights was dull as hell in the anime. There were so many episodes in which literally nothing changed. That was what I really wanted to be chopped down a lot :(

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:02 am

Fizzer wrote:There were so many episodes in which literally nothing changed. That was what I really wanted to be chopped down a lot :(
I have to disagree. Even in Z it's a whirlwind cascade of increasingly stupendous forms, fusions and absorptions.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 am

kenisu3000 wrote:Boo arc Kai is going to be 69 episodes long? Where did this information come from?
Toei Animation Europe sort of spilled the beans on it last week.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::