"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by thaman91 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:28 pm

If it was really canceled due to Super, then why would they have Sean finish up recording for it earlier this year? Surely if it were canned, then they'd have ceased production last year. Also, since Toei seems to want Super in an after-school time slot, it probably won't end up being on Toonami. Therefore, since it probably wouldn't interfere with Super, it makes no sense not to continue Kai on Toonami with The Final Chapters, especially since we know for a fact that dubbing is complete.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 am

thaman91 wrote:If it was really canceled due to Super, then why would they have Sean finish up recording for it earlier this year? Surely if it were canned, then they'd have ceased production last year. Also, since Toei seems to want Super in an after-school time slot, it probably won't end up being on Toonami. Therefore, since it probably wouldn't interfere with Super, it makes no sense not to continue Kai on Toonami with The Final Chapters, especially since we know for a fact that dubbing is complete.
Right word would be priority not cancelled. Buu Kai has a lower priority for Toei and FUNi now yeah I agree letting Buu Kai sit on Toonami is probably what they want while they try and get Super on nicktoons/CN/XD or whatever kid friendly station.

Remember BoG and "F" were dubbed and release prior to Buu Kai so it's not like Super has to air after Buu Kai. Especially since the first episode starts with a recap.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
thaman91 wrote:If it was really canceled due to Super, then why would they have Sean finish up recording for it earlier this year? Surely if it were canned, then they'd have ceased production last year. Also, since Toei seems to want Super in an after-school time slot, it probably won't end up being on Toonami. Therefore, since it probably wouldn't interfere with Super, it makes no sense not to continue Kai on Toonami with The Final Chapters, especially since we know for a fact that dubbing is complete.
Right word would be priority not cancelled. Buu Kai has a lower priority for Toei and FUNi now yeah I agree letting Buu Kai sit on Toonami is probably what they want while they try and get Super on nicktoons/CN/XD or whatever kid friendly station.

Remember BoG and "F" were dubbed and release prior to Buu Kai so it's not like Super has to air after Buu Kai. Especially since the first episode starts with a recap.
I agree, there's no chance Buu Kai will be cancelled but we may be lucky enough to get it by the end of the year.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I agree, there's no chance Buu Kai will be cancelled but we may be lucky enough to get it by the end of the year.
I'm 90% sure we're getting in Decemeber on Toonami then a few months after that I reckon we'll see FUNi slowly release them on BD/DVD, now they've almost caught up with Fairy Tail that'll leave a hole for their long running show/shonen releases just leaving OP so Kai would fit that bill perfectly then hopefully we'll see Super after. (Strictly talking home releases here)

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 am

Dec 17th is the supposed date we're expecting Buu Kai to air. I have been waiting years and check this forum daily hoping for an update.

As we believe we are closer than we have ever been, I decided to start a countdown. Weekly, I will come on here and post how many days till Kai starts. While some of you are as confident as "90%" sure, I am more like 60-70% confident. Either way, it seems to make the most sense.

So today being September 18th, that means 90 days till the first episode of Kai airs. We've made it years, waiting patiently, or impatiently depending on who you ask, but there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly don't mind waiting till 2018 for Super, if it means getting a complete version of Kai dub (on Blu-ray)

Here is to hoping! 90 Days!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:43 am

LettuceJUMP wrote:Dec 17th is the supposed date we're expecting Buu Kai to air. I have been waiting years and check this forum daily hoping for an update.

As we believe we are closer than we have ever been, I decided to start a countdown. Weekly, I will come on here and post how many days till Kai starts. While some of you are as confident as "90%" sure, I am more like 60-70% confident. Either way, it seems to make the most sense.

So today being September 18th, that means 90 days till the first episode of Kai airs. We've made it years, waiting patiently, or impatiently depending on who you ask, but there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly don't mind waiting till 2018 for Super, if it means getting a complete version of Kai dub (on Blu-ray)

I stopped caring a while ago. The Boo Arc is pretty meh anyway. If I really want to watch it, it's not that different from Z. The only redeeming factor for it is that it looks a little better than Funi's Z releases (due to cheap remastering), and it will have a good dub.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
LettuceJUMP wrote:Dec 17th is the supposed date we're expecting Buu Kai to air. I have been waiting years and check this forum daily hoping for an update.

I stopped caring a while ago. The Boo Arc is pretty meh anyway. If I really want to watch it, it's not that different from Z. The only redeeming factor for it is that it looks a little better than Funi's Z releases (due to cheap remastering), and it will have a good dub.
Actually I'd wager FUNi's looks better cuz no green tint.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Actually I'd wager FUNi's looks better cuz no green tint.
From what I've heard, the green tint was only on the Japanese release.
Retired.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From what I've heard, the green tint was only on the Japanese release.
Sadly, the tint is in the International Version. It was present in both the Korean & French TV airings.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:59 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From what I've heard, the green tint was only on the Japanese release.
Sadly, the tint is in the International Version. It was present in both the Korean & French TV airings.
Oh well, that even furthers my point that the whole thing is a waist, anyway. I fail to see how anyone is excited for Boo Kai, the only thing is has to its name is a better dub.
Retired.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Oh well, that even furthers my point that the whole thing is a waist, anyway. I fail to see how anyone is excited for Boo Kai, the only thing is has to its name is a better dub.
I'll be happy with the dub, and 23 less episodes of filler. I just want my BluRays.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Yeah, the dub is pretty much the only reason I'm looking forward to this, but I care way more about having a good dub than I do about the green tint.

Anyway, at this point I am fully expecting December to come and go with absolutely no appearance or acknowledgement of Buu saga Kai. We'll be lucky if we see it sometime in 2017. But I won't be surprised if 2017 goes by with still nothing.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Muffin Man wrote:Yeah, the dub is pretty much the only reason I'm looking forward to this, but I care way more about having a good dub than I do about the green tint.

Anyway, at this point I am fully expecting December to come and go with absolutely no appearance or acknowledgement of Buu saga Kai. We'll be lucky if we see it sometime in 2017. But I won't be surprised if 2017 goes by with still nothing.
Why? The natural starting point is after the Cell Games, and we know the release depends on a TV deal. More than likely, it will come in December.
Retired.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 pm

I really want this. Proper dub, Stereo Sub, and (Dont hate me for this) I don't Like Dragon Ball Z, I've watched DB,GT, Movies,Kai,JP Kai 99+, and. Super. Only a couple episodes of Z but I just don't like it. But I LOVE Kai.
Last edited by simtek34 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 pm

Burn the WITCH!

LOL nope, your secret is safe with us!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:05 pm

simtek34 wrote:I really want this. Proper dub, Stereo Sub, and (Dint hate me for this) I don't Like Dragon Ball Z, I've watched DB,GT, Movies,Kai,JP Kai 99+, and. Super. Only a couple episodes, But I don't like Z. I LOVE Kai.
I don't blame you. Even though Z is pretty well made, it can be really hard to watch, especially once Freeza shows up.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 pm

simtek34 wrote:I don't Like Dragon Ball Z. I LOVE Kai.
I agree with this, after watching Kai it's very hard to go back to the filler filled, bad inaccurately dubbed Z.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I fail to see how anyone is excited for Boo Kai, the only thing is has to its name is a better dub.
And 28 (or 30) less episodes than Z.

I do wish it didn't have the green tint but it's not the deal breaker that some fans make it out to be.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Burn the WITCH!

LOL nope, your secret is safe with us!
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion based on Toonami's ratings.
Muffin Man wrote:I am fully expecting December to come and go with absolutely no appearance or acknowledgement of Buu saga Kai.
I hope you're wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

sintzu wrote:
simtek34 wrote:I don't Like Dragon Ball Z. I LOVE Kai.
I agree with this, after watching Kai it's very hard to go back to the filler filled, bad inaccurately dubbed Z.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I fail to see how anyone is excited for Boo Kai, the only thing is has to its name is a better dub.
And 28 (or 30) less episodes than Z.
I watch the subbed version of Z, I prefer the more direct terminology and the vocal performance, so the incoming Dub is meh for me.

If you watch both versions of the Boo Arc, you'll notice that even though there are less episodes, the pacing has barely changed at all, aside from the Saiyaman Arc. In the international release, I'm pretty sure they even kept a lot of the extra Saiyaman stuff.

There are times when less is more, but when you take everything into account; the tint, the poor remastering, the still-bad pacing, Boo Kai is an example of when less is just... less.
Retired.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:38 pm

simtek34 wrote:I really want this. Proper dub, Stereo Sub, and (Dont hate me for this) I don't Like Dragon Ball Z, I've watched DB,GT, Movies,Kai,JP Kai 99+, and. Super. Only a couple episodes of Z but I just don't like it. But I LOVE Kai.
I understand why someone would like Kai better. In addition to lots of filler, many mistakes were made in the home releases. The good audio masters were ditched, so the Japanese audio is pretty low quality. Funimation has botched every release they've ever made of DBZ. To be fair, Kai did graze off lots of junk from the original, but they also grazed off some great additions that enhance the story arcs, that make them memorable. Sure, we didn't have to sit through Garlic Jr. or Fake Namek, but we also missed out on Gohan's childhood adventures, a decent tournament, and as a bonus, Z had much better music throughout.

It's all about trade-offs in the end, but I'd go so far as to say that the Orange Bricks are a better bang for your buck than any iteration of Kai.
Retired.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:55 pm

As far as anime goes, Dragon Boxes for Japanese, and Blu Ray Kai (in Parts) for Dub. Period. For what they are effectively made for those are the best one can get and get the whole thing. Everything else is either simply for collectors sake or something. Which is fine. I collect all of them. But I never watch that shit. Just the first two. Everything else is either incomplete, technically inferior, or focuses on original English dub which..... Umm....