Time for a New Narrator for "Super"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Time for a New Narrator for "Super"?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:33 pm

In past two episodes, Joji Yanami as the narrator and Kaio was a little pain to listen to. He didn't voice with much enthusiasm at all, which may be contributed to his health problems, as he is turning eighty-four next month. His voice as the narrator and Kaio two decades ago was a worlds apart from his recent work. It's little sad that it has turned out this way. So, I've been thinking that now may be good time to replace Yanami with a different seiyuu. How would Ryusei Nakao taking over the role sound to you? He has a good vocal range and talent to make a pretty good narrator.

Joji Yanami will always be the narrator in the heart of Dragon Ball franchise. But in order for the anime to continue, someone has to take Yanami's spot sooner or later. It would be a good idea to prepare in the event that he suddenly passes away. I think Nakao would be an excellent choice to replace Yanami. What is your thought on this?
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Time for a New Narrator for "Super"?

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:45 pm

We got into this a bit on the podcast, and came to much the same conclusion. While he's one of my favorite voice actors, and he'll always be the narrator and the voice of Kaio...I don't think he's in good enough health to continue. The fact that he's even involved with Super at all is probably a sign of his huge commitment to his role, and it's more than a little irksome to see people accuse him of "phoning it in", but it would probably be best for everyone to get someone new.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 pm

I don't really want them to recast Kaiō while Jōji Yanami still wants and is able to do it. I think he deserves that much for the time the character sticks around. (Though they should perhaps be considering replacements in the event of the worst occurring.)

The narrator spot though? I was on board before the series started with having Masakazu Morita take over with Whis stepping in to be the Kaio/narrator-like role for Super.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 pm

I've got a relative the same age as him whose also very frail; he really does sound his age, but as long as he wants to and still feels he can do it I say let him. Doing things like this can help someone of that age to keep going, because being unable to do what you used to physically is hard on anyone and you want to still feel like you're living life despite health issues.

That said, I can see him maybe giving up one of his two major roles. Kaio-sama's probably more fun to voice, but it takes more out of him. Kaio-sama's also not in the movie version of F, so it's possible this is the only arc in Super where his character appears and after the BOG arc he'll just be the narrator.

Once he does retire, I'm good with them having Whis take over as narrator; he's become really entertaining to me as of late.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Could Elder Kai or Whis voice actor do it? I'm sure most of the narrator's lines are already recorded but it'll be cool to see a new narrator. He kinda seems..worn out ya know? I'll say keep him as King Kai but change him as narrator. Not sure on King Kai presence but narrator is EVERY episode. Can he manage it? Not looking Good so far

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 pm

I admit I didn't notice it quite as bad in episode one (though it is noticeable), where we just had his narration, but hearing him as Kaio in episode 2...yeah...it's rough. It reminds me of the last few Lupin specials that Goro Naya got to play Zenigata in. You could tell he was giving it his all, and that he still wanted to be there doing his thing more than anything...but it just wasn't the same. And sad as it was to see him re-cast, I was actually sort of relieved when it happened, because no longer would I have to hear the shell of his former performance, and could instead remember him chiefly for his previous glory in the role.

...That sounds a little more selfish than I really mean it to, but hopefully what I mean is getting across. I think that, in all honesty, it probably is time for them to do a re-cast, or at least be prepared to do one at a moment's notice. If the roles are that important to Yanami, then I hope he's able to keep them for as much longer as possible, but it's definitely looking and sounding pretty bleak at this point. :cry:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 pm

As long as he's still willing and able to get into the recording booth, I'm happy to have him along for Super. I doubt anybody's forcing him to continue, so I think we can be pretty sure that if he's still voicing his characters, it's because he wants to be there. And if he wants to be there, then let him be there. They've slowly been replacing his more "minor" roles (Bobbidi, Dr. Brief) with other actors, and I like to think he's had a say in who his replacements are or how they're cast. I have no doubts that they've already decided on a replacement actor for Kaiō and the narrator (hopefully with Yanami's input) just in case something happens.

There's no denying that Yanami sounds very drained, and it's heartbreaking. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't smiling while listening to Kaiō bantering with Goku in the second episode of Super. He's still bringing charm to that character. As long as he can still pull that off (and he can), I want him with us.

This is hard to talk about, but it's obvious that we're all very worried about this man. None of us have any idea how long this is going to last. A new actor will have to come along eventually, but that time has not yet come and I really want everyone to cherish this as long as possible.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:29 pm

He does sound rough, but it isn't his fault, and I feel bad for him. It's his choice, and as long as he's happy doing it, then I can't object. I'd say that I don't want him pushing himself and hurting his health for the role though.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:21 am

Something tells me Toei wants him to keep doing it. There's no way the voice director couldn't have not noticed that the quality of his performance had dropped during the recordings. Or maybe they're in the process of finding a new guy right now.

He's so unique as a Narrator though. Kinda hard imagining someone else. I guess the guy who Narrates Hunter x Hunter can do it.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:59 am

Nah. No way. As a narrator, he still sounds fine to me. He still sounds like the familiar narrator we've always had, just older. I don't think any potential benefits of getting an exciting new narrator would trump the nostalgia, familiarity and authenticity we get from hearing Yanami.

The Kaio role, however, should probably be recast if he is going to be making regular appearances throughout the series. He really doesn't seem to be able to emote strongly enough anymore to portray the character in the necessary way.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 am

I agree with AM Reflection. I don't think that he should be recast as the narrator, since I only hear him as older in the role.
Kaio, on the other hand, seems to demand too much of him. I would be OK with him leaving the role of Kaio. It's sad, but Toei could find a proper way to bid him farewell.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 am

I'm okay with him continuing as the narrator if he's able to do so, since the narrator rarely has to deviate into overly expressive ranges. Sure, he needs to sound enthused, but he doesn't have to hit ranges of anger or other emotions that other characters need to. However, his performance as Kaiou in this second episode really shows the lack of energy he's able to give nowadays, especially when you look at the scenes when Kaiou was angry or laughing. It didn't fluctuate very much, and that hurt the character as a result.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

After Satoru Iwata death (And at age 55, my dad pased at 56, seriously, f.ck cancer :( ) i'd say he should be allowed his roles as long as he can, it really help people to know they are useful, and we don''t know day and time... :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 pm

I don't mind if they keep him as narrator but I can't stand listening to him as Kaio, it's just horrible.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:55 pm

It is unfortunate that he's sounding so weak in Super. But there's likely a sense of "obligation" that's led to him continuing to voice these roles. Toei certainly wasn't NOT going to ask him to come back, because he's been with the show since the beginning, and even after hearing that his performance isn't like it was back in the day, I can't imagine anyone at Toei pointing it out or suggesting he retire. And Yanami himself probably feels an obligation to continue, since he knows fans are expecting to hear his voice again. Voice replacements in anime seem to be pretty rare, after all. Most of the ones in Dragon Ball have been due to the actor's death, a couple of times due to apparent retirement, and a couple others because of scheduling conflicts. So if he's not inclined to retire, then he'll probably stay with the series until he becomes physically incapable of doing it anymore. Which is kind of sad, because I feel like we'll be listening to his performance deteriorate more and more as the series goes on :( So even though it would make sense for him to be replaced, I don't see it happening until it becomes absolutely necessary.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't really want them to recast Kaiō while Jōji Yanami still wants and is able to do it. I think he deserves that much for the time the character sticks around. (Though they should perhaps be considering replacements in the event of the worst occurring.)

The narrator spot though? I was on board before the series started with having Masakazu Morita take over with Whis stepping in to be the Kaio/narrator-like role for Super.
Yeah, as long as he's able to, i don't want the character to be recast. I just can't picture Kaio with a different voice, and i don't think the character will stick around much longer after this early arc anyway.
But it's really sad how much healthier he sounded in Kai, and that was recorded just a few years ago.

Morita's Whis would be a great choice for the narrator indeed.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:20 pm

He's fine as the narrator since the slow voice fits him, I'd like him to continue until he, not Toei nor the fans, thinks he can't take it anymore. For Kaio, however... Kaio is such a lively character, and Jouji Yanami can no longer bring justice to the character, every time he's on screen it's just unbearably sad to listen to him, I really wouldn't mind a re-cast.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:33 pm

I think this is his best performance as the narrator.

I agree with most of you that his Kaio was difficult to listen to, but I still don't feel his narration has a lot of energy. I feel like he's pushing it just to come back for Dragon Ball Super, which he probably shouldn't given his heath issues. He has been with the franchise for so long that he should feel satisfied with all the energy he has given to voice the narrator and Kaio. He just doesn't sound the same, and I don't want him to continue his roles. The fire has already burned out and there's no sense in forcing it any further.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't think they should get a new narrator for Super because, really, he is the true narrator of Dragon Ball and finding a replacement for him would be a near improbable task. But I would lying if I said that Yanami's voice hasn't been sounding quite rough recently.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm

I think that his performance as Kaio is a result of how the series is animated. I suppose that it's done the same way as the original series: the animation is done, and then the actors record their parts over it.
If it were done the other way round, as with American animation, Kaio's movements and body language could be better suited for his performance: no big mouth screams while his voice sounds flat, for instance.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts