Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.11)

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Herms wrote: Minute: 16
Context: Beerus sits on Goku’s chest and starts punching him.
Beerus: “I’m so tired…tired tired tired tired tired tried tired tired tired tired I can’t stand it!”
Significance: Don’t ask me.
I took it as Beerus was punching him out of frustration, because the Saiyan God he saw in his dream turn out to be weak.
He wake up for that challenge and was starting to think it wasn't worthy.

Tired of fighting weaklings. Not physically tired.

Some fansubs used "sleepy" which also works here. Sleepy/Bored. The context is the same.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 眠くて refers to actually being sleepy.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:14 pm

But what’s Piccolo’s excuse?
He's this chillout guy, who doesn't bring his driver's license, so he can drink the hell out and others drive him around.
He's so cool, it's part of his style. He did it the first time in Yo! Son Goku etc. standing on the top of the hovercraft.

''Piccolo doesn't fly - others fly Piccolo.''
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:19 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 眠くて refers to actually being sleepy.
I was thinking this too, as Japanese uses the word 疲れる for tired. Though the effect of the language might be the same. Suppose we imagine Beerus being still sleepy from going aeons with no challenging fights. If we follow that reasoning, the only way he could be truly "awake" is with a good challenge.

This is just my theory.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Also, every wondered about Piccolo's outfit with those wing like shoulder pads?
It's actually what flies him, as Piccolo doesn't fly himself. Muhaha, you never knew that did you?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 眠くて refers to actually being sleepy.
Yeah, it means sleepy not bored. I took it to mean that he cut his sleep short (only 39 years) because he was foretold a great fight. And he isn't getting one and he is sleepy and cranky because of it. But that is just my theory.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 pm

I admit, I was lumping "tired" and "sleepy" together in my mind...even though they're really not exactly the same...and I totally overlooked that in English "tired" has the double meaning of being mentally tired/bored of something rather than just physically tired.

Rats.

Went and changed it to "sleepy". Sorry for any confusion.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Herms wrote:I admit, I was lumping "tired" and "sleepy" together in my mind...even though they're really not exactly the same...and I totally overlooked that in English "tired" has the double meaning of being mentally tired/bored of something rather than just physically tired.

Rats.

Went and changed it to "sleepy". Sorry for any confusion.
So...do you think he means Gokuu is so boring that he wants to go back to sleep? :eh:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:56 am

I think it's pretty clear Beerus is saying he's bored with the fight during that scene (as in, "You're putting me to sleep"). I'm not really sure how people could interpret that any other way.

Also, Herms, nice little jabs at some of the plot laziness in the episode 11 annotations.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:58 am

Cipher wrote:I think it's pretty clear Beerus is saying he's bored with the fight during that scene (as in, "You're putting me to sleep"). I'm not really sure how people could interpret that any other way.
I took it as him being tired because he didn't get much sleep and now he feels like he might have wasted his time waking up for the Super Saiyan God. So less that he's bored with the fight and more angry that he wasted his time waking up early.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:33 am

Cipher wrote:I think it's pretty clear Beerus is saying he's bored with the fight during that scene (as in, "You're putting me to sleep"). I'm not really sure how people could interpret that any other way.
Yeah, I think it ultimately boils down to that, one way or another. In Japanese nemui isn't used to say "I'm sick of this" the same way we can say "I'm tired of this" in English, but I still think that's what he's getting at. After all, if you have time in a fight to complain about being sleepy, it can't be too challenging a fight. And nemui is merely "sleepy" rather than "exhausted" or anything drastic like that, so again if Beerus is complaining of being "sleepy" he can't be having too hard of a fight. But it's just not quite as direct as saying "I'm tired of this fight".
Puto wrote:
Herms wrote:Japanese Wikipedia spells it as ウォートリン, and since ウォー is used in kana spellings to approximate the English "wa" sound, going by this spelling the planet's name would be romanized as "Watorin" or "Watrin". However, some people (such as Julian) heard it as more like オートリン, romanized as "Ōtorin" or "Ōtrin", and the former is what Kanzenshuu has gone with so far. We'll probably just have to wait for a spelling from an official source, and until then it's probably best to hold off speculating about name puns.
For what it's worth, the Japanese closed captions have:
惑星ウォートリンの\N焼きじゃけと→
第65星雲のチキン南蛮ばっかりで。
Ah, thanks. I had totally forgotten about that whole issue.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:58 am

Regarding the before-last quote, judging from your literal translation and the way you actually put it in the quote, I would go with something like this: "Don't you think of human lives?"
Sounds more like Goku rather than "value", without going much into the heroics of it all.

It's just a suggestion based on what you wrote there and zero japanese knowledge, so apologies in advance if something is off about it.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 am

herms this is a misstranslation?
Since it says that the energy ball is "heavy." ?!!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:19 am

^ That was the translation that I saw. I took it as Beerus was mocking Goku saying if that attack was heavy/too much for him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:38 am

It's not a mistranslation, but it's trying to say "It's a bit of the heavy side for you to deflect it", essentially.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:20 am

Draconic wrote:Regarding the before-last quote, judging from your literal translation and the way you actually put it in the quote, I would go with something like this: "Don't you think of human lives?"
Sounds more like Goku rather than "value", without going much into the heroics of it all.

It's just a suggestion based on what you wrote there and zero japanese knowledge, so apologies in advance if something is off about it.
Reading that bit, I was thinking maybe "What do you take human lives for?" ...I suppose using that phrasing would have a bit of an issue where it could easily be misinterpreted as Goku meaning "why are you taking human lives?" rather than "what sort of value do you place on human lives?", though.

Herms

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.12)

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Updated with episode 12 stuff. All the universe-destroying you could ask for!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 pm

So then they really can destroy the Universe after all I suppose.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:03 am

I guarantee somewhere in Universe 6, something like this is going to happen again and then "oh snap, all the universes are gonna die"

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:12 am

Herms wrote: Minute: 26
Context: Goku narrates the Next Episode Preview.
Goku: "Hey, what's that technique? Has Beerus-sama been hiding his power again? But I'm a bit different than before too. I ain't gonna lose! Let's keep on fightin'!
Significance: An early summary of ep.13 talked about Beerus "transforming", so this is probably a reference to the same thing, whatever that is.[/spoiler]
If this is what I think it is, then I'll probably be quitting Super after the next episode. :wtf:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.