These DBS prefecture puzzles/posters

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

These DBS prefecture puzzles/posters

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:27 pm

How many types are there and where can you buy them?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: These DBS prefecture puzzles/posters

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:42 pm

...Uhhh...wait, I have a question as well. Is there any particular reason the Tokyo one has the Statue of Liberty in it, as well as that very familiar looking bridge that I can't quite place? :shock:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:...Uhhh...wait, I have a question as well. Is there any particular reason the Tokyo one has the Statue of Liberty in it, as well as that very familiar looking bridge that I can't quite place? :shock:
Herms and Tanooki Kuribo sorted that out here: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/671857168669249536

It turns out:
Herms wrote:Odaiba has a small, fairly unimpressive replica of the Statue of Liberty
and
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:looks just like the Verrazano bridge we have here connecting Brooklyn to Staten Island
I'd watch a animated short about Gokû and friends somehow sight-seeing around Japan (or NYC) despite DB Earth not containing the countries of rl Earth.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 am

Oh wow, I'd never heard of any place having a replica of the Statue of Liberty, especially outside of the US. Is there any historical reason for it being there, I wonder? Guess that's something for me to try checking into myself though. ^_^;

Neat puzzles though, I hope someone's able to find a place where they can be bought.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:looks just like the Verrazano bridge we have here connecting Brooklyn to Staten Island
It's actually the Rainbow Bridge, also in Odaiba and visible behind the Statue of Liberty replica, just as the puzzle depicts.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 pm

There are a few Statue of Liberty replicas in Japan (and, indeed, all over the world). On my last trip there I visited two of them: the aforementioned one in Odaiba, and another one in the "American Village" shopping district in Osaka. Meaning I've been to more Statues of Liberty in Japan than I have in the US :P (and I've never been to the "real" one, only the replica in Las Vegas).

Anime regional goods are fun to collect. Unfortunately, a lot of times they can only be purchased in the specific region they're depicting, or at online stores that are unlikely to ship overseas. Although some stores that sell those goods for their own area will also sell ones from neighboring areas, as well. That's how we were able to collect some of the series of Titans eating local specialties phone charms for places that we didn't visit, like Chinatown and Shizuoka. My favorite bizarre local merchandise I found was the Golgo takoyaki from Osaka (I'll link the picture under the spoiler tag, since it's not Dragon Ball related in the slightest, but it's too hilarious not to share :P)
As for the regional puzzles/file holders being discussed here, they look super cute, and I hope they're still for sale when I make my next trip to Japan (hopefully this coming spring). Look at Vegeta eyeing that takoyaki suspiciously. Don't pretend you're not a master takoyaki chef, lol. And what's with Kuririn's face as he and the kids jump off Kiyomizu? Like, are they racing down the side or something?

Anyway, after seeing this thread, I decided to research these, and I found a few more designs!

Mt. Fuji:

Chinatown (Yokohama):

And this user on Twitter posted one found in Hokkaido:

This store has the Tokyo, Chinatown, and Mt. Fuji designs in both the puzzles and file holders. But I doubt they ship outside of Japan.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:09 pm

...Based on her reaction there, I think Videl's the only one that notices what it almost kinda looks like is happening, the same way I do. Goku...Goku, NO. :lol:

I like that in the Mt. Fuji one, Goten is using Kintoun though. Poor thing never really gets seen anymore.
Twitter

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah, Gokuu's definitely in the danger zone there...watch your hand, man!

I also belatedly realized Videl is flying in the Chinatown design. Wow, so she didn't lose all her skills after all!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Oh wow, you're right, she is. Neat!

Hmm...did Dragon Ball or Z (or even GT or Kai) ever have similar puzzles to these in the past? You'd think this wouldn't just be a recent trend.
Twitter

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:40 pm

I tried deleting "super" from my search to see if anything for the previous series would pop up...and as a result found another design from Super :lol: A user on Twitter found one in Okinawa:

Everything else in my searches regarding DB regional goods all showed results for Super related merchandise. So maybe it is a more recent phenomenon? Or any regional tie-ins from the past are so old now that they'd be incredibly difficult to find.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 pm

sailorspazz wrote:
The closest we'll get to seeing a Dragon Ball beach episode.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:07 am

Wow, these are so great. I wish Super had chilling scenes like this in the show.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:10 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:
The closest we'll get to seeing a Dragon Ball beach episode.
I like that "The Driving Episode" outfit is still a thing. (Though between them, Piccolo's Post Boy outfit was my favorite; Gokû's "geometric shapes" shirt is still very entertaingly early 90's though.) I wonder if we'll get to see Gokû's "driving" outfit make a comeback in Super.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:22 am

Ah I saw those puzzles in the flesh.

When I went to Japan this May I saw that Liberty Statue along with the Rainbow Bridge and its not far off where the Fuji TV headquarters is. At the top of that building they had all Dragon Ball Z merchandise including those puzzles.

I didn't get one but I almost bought that one. Pretty expensive I think it was.