Kai Episode 24 (20 September 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Hujio wrote:Man, I haven't done this in awhile, but I figured what the hey, right? I'm only going to touch on one thing, the final re-animated scene with Freeza and Zarbon. I can tell you right off the bat why this was re-animated; Zarbon's head was originally out of the frame, and to crop that would have been a nightmare. Though at the same time, why not make it look better?! This just looks like utter shit (pardon my French). In fact, the way the scene is set up is a little different. After Vegeta crawls out of the "lake" he created, it fades to this scene. However, in Z it doesn't fade at all, but simply switches scenes. Also, in Z, it started with just Freeza on the screen and zoomed out to reveal Zarbon's forms. In Kai, they started partially zoomed out, so we don't get a "nice" close-up of Freeza.

This shot alone makes me 100% confident they don't care what it looks like. Why in the world would you not update Freeza?! Toei, don't you have animators that are skilled enough to redraw these scenes? I mean, you could trace most of it, just redraw his face and fat tail. It is pure laziness if you ask me.

You'll notice that they've shifted Zarbon down so that he fits nicely in the cropped frame. However, you'll also notice that they made his face on the right look much worse than it originally was. I thought we were tracing?! I also love the now totally obvious giant dots on his armor, the top of monster Zarbon's head has no bumps (it's all smooth up there), and his little ornament is magically dangling from nothing... Who needs consistency, right?

Anywho, this was fun. Maybe I'll have to try to do this every once in awhile. Now to get the pages done for Kanzentai... :P

~ Heathjio
I missed comparison images like that. X3
Thank you!

I wish Toei had noticed that in the redrawn shot, that Zarbon's headband is missing. It makes it look like the jewelry bead is just hovering over his face. o_O

(Though its probably because in the original, that part would've been off-frame, but still. @_@ )
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Chuquita wrote:I missed comparison images like that. X3
Thank you!
Well, I guess I'll have to start posting more comparisons on the forums then. Though I won't go as detailed as I did in the past. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:06 am

Well, I guess I'll have to start posting more comparisons on the forums then. Though I won't go as detailed as I did in the past
I love these comparison shots you do (did?). When you stopped doing them, I started posting all the re-drawn shots here because there was nowhere to see all the re-drawn shots in one place anymore and I figured people wanna see them. But even if you just choose one scene a week instead of killing yourself with the whole episode, that would be awesome. :wink:
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 am

Hujio wrote:Man, I haven't done this in awhile, but I figured what the hey, right? I'm only going to touch on one thing, the final re-animated scene with Freeza and Zarbon. I can tell you right off the bat why this was re-animated; Zarbon's head was originally out of the frame, and to crop that would have been a nightmare. Though at the same time, why not make it look better?! This just looks like utter shit (pardon my French). In fact, the way the scene is set up is a little different. After Vegeta crawls out of the "lake" he created, it fades to this scene. However, in Z it doesn't fade at all, but simply switches scenes. Also, in Z, it started with just Freeza on the screen and zoomed out to reveal Zarbon's forms. In Kai, they started partially zoomed out, so we don't get a "nice" close-up of Freeza.

This shot alone makes me 100% confident they don't care what it looks like. Why in the world would you not update Freeza?! Toei, don't you have animators that are skilled enough to redraw these scenes? I mean, you could trace most of it, just redraw his face and fat tail. It is pure laziness if you ask me.

You'll notice that they've shifted Zarbon down so that he fits nicely in the cropped frame. However, you'll also notice that they made his face on the right look much worse than it originally was. I thought we were tracing?! I also love the now totally obvious giant dots on his armor, the top of monster Zarbon's head has no bumps (it's all smooth up there), and his little ornament is magically dangling from nothing... Who needs consistency, right?

Anywho, this was fun. Maybe I'll have to try to do this every once in awhile. Now to get the pages done for Kanzentai... :P

~ Heathjio
Oh man that first one of freeza looks horrible. Why are they re-drawing certain scenes?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 am

piccolo-san785 wrote:Why are they re-drawing certain scenes?
If you're referring to this scene, I think I answered that in the post.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:26 am

oops my mistake

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 am

piccolo-san785 wrote:oops my mistake
Forgive me for singling you out, but this reply doesn't apply only to you.

For the sake of people like Hujio or Mike who make an effort to convey all the relevant information in a single post (or page on their respective sites) that's easy to digest, please read the information they provide (or, if you're especially lazy, use Ctrl-F and search for the keywords that you're looking for) before you ask questions that may have already been answered. It stops people from feeling frustrated and thinking that their efforts are wasted, keeps us from going in circles and as an added bonus it gives you the information you're seeking without any additional wait.

See the contradiction? People don't want to waste time by reading, but they waste time in a different way by waiting for someone to respond with the same exact information already given ;)

-Corey

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:07 am

Kendamu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
sangofe wrote:Wow, do I see blood in the redrawn scenes?
Because blood has been popping up all along?
Yeah. Where're we goin' with this? Last I remember, the impalement in Episode 3 was the only violence censorship.
I can't remember exactly which episode, but I do remember a redrawn scene being redrawn without blood vs. the original one... I think a few others have been as well.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 am

*sigh* I lost hope in those "redrawn" frames, they look like utter shit, and those "professionals" aren't even above amateur level, hell even Newgrounds flash movies have better tracing.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm

That comparison is hilarious :lol:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:23 pm

sangofe wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Because blood has been popping up all along?
Yeah. Where're we goin' with this? Last I remember, the impalement in Episode 3 was the only violence censorship.
I can't remember exactly which episode, but I do remember a redrawn scene being redrawn without blood vs. the original one... I think a few others have been as well.
I'd love to see some examples. I like Kai, but I'm not dogmatic or delusional about it. I'd really like to see these scenes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 am

Rod wrote:Lol Krillin looks funny in every single Kai related original picture
I ask myself why Krillin looks like of the same age as Gohan. :P