Kai Episode 46 (28 February 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Kai Episode 46 (28 February 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:23 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 46, aired 28 February 2010

これが最後の切り札だ!悟空の特大元気玉
Kore ga Saigo no Kirifuda da! Gokuu no Tokudai Genki-dama
This is the Last Trump Card! Goku's Extra-Large Genki-dama

Please save discussion for after the episode!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 46 (28 February 2010)

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm

This episode covered the last 3 and a half page of chapter 314, all of 315, and the first page and a half of 316, for a total of 19 pages. Probably the most filler-heavy episode of Kai yet, with the first half being almost all filler, and the second half having a good deal of filler fighting between Goku and Freeza and Piccolo and Freeza.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Was it unavoidable filler? Like with the Bulma and Ginyu thing? Or was it easily-removable filler that was for some reason left in?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:45 pm

I think it was "left in for pacing" filler.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:26 pm

B wrote:I think it was "left in for pacing" filler.
Yeah, likely to make for a smoother pace so it isn't so jaggedly edited together. Next week will likely end with #95.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 am

I always said that the Japanese had a very bad habit of spoiling the Dragonball story with the next episode previews.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:52 am

Son Wukong wrote:I always said that the Japanese had a very bad habit of spoiling the Dragonball story with the next episode previews.
I completely agree. Thats why I don`t like next episode previews.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 am

Maybe they assumed people had been reading the manga and saw that already?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 am

Son Wukong wrote:I always said that the Japanese had a very bad habit of spoiling the Dragonball story with the next episode previews.
I am relieved that they didn't "redraw" the SSJ scene. Now for the music...

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 am

penguintruth wrote:Maybe they assumed people had been reading the manga and saw that already?
People like me? Who still complain? :)
Vino wrote:
I am relieved that they didn't "redraw" the SSJ scene. Now for the music...
Only one way to find out for sure.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:34 am

So the next episode preview actually showed Goku going SSJ?
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Luka

Post by Luka » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 pm

yes..

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:42 pm

They spoiled SSJ in the opening and the OST disc, might as well spoil it in the preview. :P

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm

How annoying :? .
Oh well not like I've ever watched it in order or anything. Still! For the new fans :( . Do the Kai blu-ray boxes have next episode previews/previous episode recaps?
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:Do the Kai blu-ray boxes have next episode previews/previous episode recaps?
Yes, they're both left as-is and are included on both the DVDs and Blu-rays. ...And I'd be super mad if they didn't. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Any redrawn scenes to note?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Luka

Post by Luka » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't remember where I read about this, but it is my understanding that the Japanese, culturally, don't think about "spoilers" in the same way we do.

For the Japanese, it's not so much about what happens as it is about how it happens. If anything, spoiled details (like an episode called "____ Dies!") are more likely to whet their appetite.

And in the case of Dragon Ball Kai, that's probably moot anyway. There isn't a single Japanese person watching the show who doesn't know that Freeza kills Kuririn and it causes Goku to go Super Saiyan. This is the most popular manga of all time. That's like "spoiling" that Peter Parker becomes Spider Man by being bitten by a radioactive spider.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Hujio wrote:Yes, they're both left as-is and are included on both the DVDs and Blu-rays. ...And I'd be super mad if they didn't. :)
Thanks man, are there any features to skip them? I damn hope FUNimation has a marathon feature type thing like the season sets in their release.
Kai_fan wrote:There isn't a single Japanese person watching the show who doesn't know that Freeza kills Kuririn and it causes Goku to go Super Saiyan.
Maybe you're exaggerating a bit there, Kai is now for the new generation of anime fans - the ones that didn't have a chance to enjoy DragonBall like we have. I really do think a good portion of Kai fans are new to DragonBall, most probably have seen super saiyan but possibly don't know how/when.

I'm not sure where episode 46 left off, but as Kai is more condensed than what Z was; what cannot be beaten is that surprise "Oh? It's this episode?!" feeling - even if they have seen the super saiyan transformation before.

I need to get the episode number out of my head! o.0
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Kai 46 ended with Freeza readying a blast to kill Piccolo, having just beaten him up when he was buying time for Goku's Genki Dama.

--Sailor Moon spoilers coming up--

As for the spoiling episode titles, I can definitely see where they're coming from. When I was watching Sailor Moon for the first time, I wasn't aware of too many plot details. Nephrite's and Safir's deaths are both announced in the titles of the episodes where these deaths occur, and that definitely gave me a "whoa, really?" feeling making me more interested in seeing just what happens than some random non-descriptive title would have.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!