Kai Episode 110 (22 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 110 (22 June 2014)

Post by Hujio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 110, aired 22 June 2014

天下一は誰の手に!?バトルロイヤル決定戦!!
Tenka'ichi wa Dare no Te ni! Batoru Roiyaru Kesshō-sen!!
Who is the World's Greatest?! A Battle Royal Match to Decide!!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 110 (22 June 2014)

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Interesting. I'm guessing this was another one of the International Versions episodes, as they decided to leave the filler in. I suppose it's because Dabura doesn't come out immediately in the anime as he does in the Manga.
Decent episode, though I felt some of the filler was unnecessary: notably, the "shower scene" with Mighty Mask.
Have they added in another episode? it seems that they never showed any footage of Dabura Vs. Gohan at all in the next episode preview.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 pm

What an absolute joke of an episode. Did they forget the point of Kai is to remove filler and create something closer to the manga? Apparently so considering that felt like 60% filler material. I do not understand why they're dragging this tournament part out at all.

They left in the Mighty Mask changing room scene with announcer. There's a bunch of extraneous dialogue thrown in the midst of canon material that just serves to make this episode draaaaaag.

I was on Skype to my partner at the time and apparently my annoyance was clear enough in my face for her to take screenshots. If that doesn't convey how ridiculous that was then I don't know what will.

Christ, this is the fucking cut down version too. The international version must be an absolute joke. What a mess.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:49 pm

What I don't get is why they'll over-edit certain scenes, shaving off a few seconds from each shot until you're left with an almost seizure-inducing barrage of images, but then they'll go and leave in filler like the shower scene. Wouldn't it have been easier to just cut the shower scene and instead let the opening scenes with Goku (aka the stuff that actually contributes to the plot) have some much-needed breathing room?
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:What an absolute joke of an episode. Did they forget the point of Kai is to remove filler and create something closer to the manga? Apparently so considering that felt like 60% filler material. I do not understand why they're dragging this tournament part out at all.

They left in the Mighty Mask changing room scene with announcer. There's a bunch of extraneous dialogue thrown in the midst of canon material that just serves to make this episode draaaaaag.

I was on Skype to my partner at the time and apparently my annoyance was clear enough in my face for her to take screenshots. If that doesn't convey how ridiculous that was then I don't know what will.

Christ, this is the fucking cut down version too. The international version must be an absolute joke. What a mess.
Good lord. This makes me worry for the international version.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:42 pm

It was sooooo boring...given what we've seen in the Next Episode Preview, it'll be the same next week. :cry: I prayed about 25 minutes "something is GOING to happen..." ... I had the -very bad- impression of watching Dragon Ball GT :TROLL:.
And the music choice & placement doesn't help...

OK, these moments are as annoying in the manga, but taking into account that fact, their decision to leave all those filler scenes makes things even worse. :thumbdown:
If the TV ratings becomes bad, don't come whining, Toei.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:26 am

Dogasu wrote:What I don't get is why they'll over-edit certain scenes, shaving off a few seconds from each shot until you're left with an almost seizure-inducing barrage of images, but then they'll go and leave in filler like the shower scene. Wouldn't it have been easier to just cut the shower scene and instead let the opening scenes with Goku (aka the stuff that actually contributes to the plot) have some much-needed breathing room?
This has been the #1 problem with Kai, trumping even the music placement. I can't say it any better than you just did, but I'm going to ramble anyway. For some reason, they feel the need to trim each cut to be as short as possible so that almost nothing is longer than a second or two. Dialogue is rushed and shots go by so quickly they barely register with the audience. And for the sake of what? They're still leaving entire filler scenes intact. It's been a problem since the very first episodes back in 2009. "Sorry, we can't dedicate ten seconds to properly show Kuririn getting up after he was knocked into Kame House by Raditz. We wanted to make sure you still got all of that stuff with Gohan falling into the river one episode prior."

I never got the impression that the staff behind Kai were ever aware of that "make it closer to the manga" idea. I think they just want to make "The Best Of Dragon Ball Z" and are just choosing scenes they like. Maybe someone had nostalgia for the shower scene and wanted to see the actors re-record it?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:12 am

Hey look, they changed the next episode title at the last minute, again! Doesn't match what was published in V-Jump or Saikyo Jump. Yippee.

So in this episode they combined 4 episodes, so to speak. We start off at the end of 223 and go straight into 224, but then backtrack to the two filler scenes from 221 and 222 before jumping back to 224 again. And based on the titles of the next two episodes, it doesn't look like we're gonna be covering a whole lot of material. The next episode title of Kai almost exactly matches that of Z's 225. I was hoping they'd move a little quicker through this section, because frankly it has always bored me.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:06 am

Hujio wrote:The next episode title of Kai almost exactly matches that of Z's 225.
I think the majority of the international version is going to be like this
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
This is why all the shit Kai gets, notably that it's pointless, or a "best of" clip show arguments get utterly destroyed. Here we have signs that the Buu arc is getting slowed down, causing many in here to complain about how boring it is. The sad matter of the fact is, even slowed down, this version of the Buu arc will STILL not be as slow as the Z cut. If that doesn't prove once and for all how abysmal the pacing of Z is and how Kai is needed I don't know what is. Overall though, for all the mistakes Funi has made in the past with this property, Toei is proving to be far worse as far as I'm concerned. There was no artistic integrity put into all this filler material to begin with, bottom line, Dragon Ball Z was rushed and cheaply produced, Kai was also rushed and cheaply produced, but with better pacing. I'll take the lesser of two evils please, at least up until the Buu arc debacle.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Hujio wrote:Hey look, they changed the next episode title at the last minute, again! Doesn't match what was published in V-Jump or Saikyo Jump. Yippee.

So in this episode they combined 4 episodes, so to speak. We start off at the end of 223 and go straight into 224, but then backtrack to the two filler scenes from 221 and 222 before jumping back to 224 again. And based on the titles of the next two episodes, it doesn't look like we're gonna be covering a whole lot of material. The next episode title of Kai almost exactly matches that of Z's 225. I was hoping they'd move a little quicker through this section, because frankly it has always bored me.
So basically Toei got even lazier and stopped cutting out the filler. Great -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I was out with family last night so I missed this week's episode. From the sound of things I might not even bother to try to watch it. This episode should have wrapped up the Tenka'ichi Budoukai and shown some of Gohan's battle with Darbra. Hell, we could have covered up through the events of Chapter #452-455 if this episode had been done from scratch instead of Dragon Ball Z's animation. :(
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:31 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Hujio wrote:Hey look, they changed the next episode title at the last minute, again! Doesn't match what was published in V-Jump or Saikyo Jump. Yippee.

So basically Toei got even lazyer and stopped cutting out the filler great -__-
Uhm... they're still... cutting episodes. And leaving filler in would eventually end up in a longer episode counts which equals more work... I'm sorry, but I don't see how "lazier" enters into that at all.

I admit though, this episode should've ended the whole Budokai stuff. Probably would've worked had they cut out the shower scene. I guess they put it in for a reason, probably so that it would eventually fit the episode count? Or end an episode at some specific cliffhanger point. Also, this makes me want to see the Budokai stuff intercut between the Babidi fights even more! A whole episode is just too much. But I do agree with Mr. Mark though. The cut for Z was probably about twice as long. And of course you probably complained back then when you saw it, constantly asking yourself "when are we gonna cut back to Goku and the others". Well... I think this is quite a bit the manga's fault. Not entirely, the shower scene was pointless, but I would imagine they had a reason for it :/ The ONLY solution that would've worked is intercut it. And I heard someone previously say "But I don't want them to start a fight but before the first fist is thrown cut to the Budokai, because I don't want to be teased like that". Well that's TOTALLY better than watching an entire episode of stuff that's inconsequential to the plot :o This is a B-story, and it shows.

Something I realized when watching the "previously on Kai" part is that the narrator must have different lines in Japanese cut as opposed to the International cut. So that's about double the work for the narrator (of course some episodes probably end the same way either cut though :p).

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Okay, here's a crazy theory that has 9 chances out of 10 to be untrue.

BUT thinking about why they would make the Tenkaichi Budokai two episodes when they could have made in into one, I'm thinking (careful, spoilers for those who don't know the plot):
Now the fact that there's 9 chances out of 10 to be untrue comes from the fact that they never seemed to really care about the correlation between openings/endings and the plot (Super Saiyan Goku appearing in the opening when the fight with Reacum is about to start, etc...). Also, the fact that there's very little chance the new ending would have the theme I imagine because there's like 50 other kind of themes to explore for an ending - and more generic ones involving whole groups -, so what are the chances it would be this one?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Now the fact that there's 9 chances out of 10 to be untrue comes from the fact that they never seemed to really care about the correlation between openings/endings and the plot (Super Saiyan Goku appearing in the opening when the fight with Reacum is about to start, etc...). Also, the fact that there's very little chance the new ending would have the theme I imagine because there's like 50 other kind of themes to explore for an ending - and more generic ones involving whole groups -, so what are the chances it would be this one?
I'm curious to see what this'll look like considering the current opening and ending pull almost everything from the International animations. They added a few shots, mostly stills, but still. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Bored as hell watching this episode...sigh :yawn:
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 am

Well, at least the added filler content means more Dragon Ball content will finally receive a respectable dub... you got to look for the silver lining, folks. 8)
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:45 am

This episode was so bad it reminds me of the first batch Of Buu Kai episodes, sans the crappy music.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:50 am

I had forgotten how much filler this part of the story had. Dabra in his little meditation chamber, all the stuff at the tournament, etc. The manga version of this just flies by. I really like this part of the story since it gives #18 some much-deserved time to shine. Honestly, though, I really expected this episode to at least wrap up the Mighty Mask fight. I think we were all shocked to find out that it would continue into next episode (possibly even the next... :? ).

I still really like that fanfare piece that plays as the remaining contestants walk into the ring. I think this is the second time they've played it. Sumitomo's really channeling Kikuchi in this one with the blaring horns and bouncy composition. It's a very welcome change, even if I can't say much for the rest of the score. Why can't we have happy music anymore?

Can we get new eyecatches? Please? There are so many other characters they could be featuring and they're missing their chance...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 am

I really enjoyed this episode and liked the music & placements a lot as well, I've not read the manga so I'm not sure what is considered filler and what isn't but I could take a guess at what is, though since it was entertaining I don't really mind, although Kai's purpose was to be closer to the manga.

Majin Boo can't come soon enough! :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray