What if Funimation did a faithful redub of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

B wrote:I'm just sick and tired of dub bullshit getting in the way of in-universe series discussion.
The answer is "Toriyama and/or his editors."

If such a thing were to be done with Kai it might lure me into buying its release. Maybe. ...It'd have to be damn good and different though.

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Question for those how experienced it: Do you remember how you felt when they switched from the Ocean cast to FUNimation's in-house cast?
I was one of those raging pre-teens/teenagers who hated Funimation and everything they were for. They had replaced MY favorite voice actors that I really liked, with some weird cast that could sure, "imitate" the Ocean actors to some extent, but they all hadn't really learned how to VOICE ACT as well as the Ocean cast did.

But I wasn't alone on that front either, as it was obviously a hotter topic back then as it is nowadays. We all raged about it on the various message boards, all the while the older fans of the Japanese version (who were lucky enough to have you know, VHS fansubs/VCDs/LDs of the original) groaned back and told us to shut the hell up already about it. At least that's how I remember it. (Again, I was kinda young- so the memory is a little fuzzy)

Gee, at least THAT sounds like a common issue even today....except that now I'm on the opposite side from which I started from....:lol:

saiyangerl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyangerl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:19 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Question for those how experienced it: Do you remember how you felt when they switched from the Ocean cast to FUNimation's in-house cast?
I read about it on the internet before the season with the new voice actors even started so I knew it was coming and I was enraged! I was like I just got into this series and like it and now you're going to change everything?! I'll admit I had a bitter attitude when I started watching it with the new voices and nitpicked at everything but gradually they got better and it grew on me.

I did buy some fansubs out of curiousity. Just a couple. I was of course a teenager with not much money back then and I didn't really feel partial to either version just which ever was cheaper (Funi being aired for FREE on CN) as long as I got to see what happened. Though technically I knew what would happen because I read the entire plot on the internet but still not the same as seeing it. Anyways, since I grew up watching the Ocean cast and then the change over to the Funi cast that's how I like it. Sometimes I'll watch some of the original just for the heck of it too.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:38 pm

The voice actors will propably be a thing the dubbies will be concerned if they changed them to an all new ones.
A good point. For better or worse, the current DBZ English dub doesn't "belong" to me as a fan.

But I don't remember being that wild about most of the Ocean cast (except Vegeta and Piccolo) before the change. All I know is that some voices got worse (Goku) and others didn't get better or worse.

In some cases, we went from one bad voice for a character to a different bad voice for them. Freeza, for instance. Yamcha. Kaio. Tenshinhan.

I would keep Justin Cook as Raditz. It's something Funimation did right in the re-dub.

Maybe one of the reasons I liked Brian Drummond as Vegeta was that I can do a perfect imitation of his speaking style. No joke.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm

I don't see why Funi wouldn't put the faithful redub on the Dragon Box since it's the same series. Anyway, I'd keep everyone in the current cast because they're all just fine.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Maybe. It depends on what it would be released as. If they ever dub Kai like this, I might buy it, but probably only if it has an option for the Japanese audio. Otherwise I probably wouldn't, unless it would be released with the Dragon Box footage. I just don't feel like paying extra for a dub.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Maybe. It depends on what it would be released as. If they ever dub Kai like this, I might buy it, but probably only if it has an option for the Japanese audio. Otherwise I probably wouldn't, unless it would be released with the Dragon Box footage. I just don't feel like paying extra for a dub.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:07 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: I'd keep everyone in the current cast because they're all just fine.
...in my opinion

kay' we're cool now.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

That being said, I don't think they should fire all of the current dub voice actors for shits and giggles, some of them do their jobs fairly competently in my eyes. I'd hope they'd leave the following roles alone.

Chris Sabat-Piccolo
Sonny Strait-Kuririn
John Burgmeier -Tenshinhan
Kyle Hebert- Buu arc Gohan
Meredith Mauldin-18
Chuck Huber-17
Chris Sabat-Zarbon
Dameon Clark-Cell
Chris Rager- Mr.Satan
Lura Bailey-Dende
Eric Vale- Mr. Announcer
Kent Williams- Kaioshin
Last edited by Freeza.exe on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:45 pm

The last two are Eric Vale and Kent Williams.

And I want Kenny Green to be Cell...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:47 pm

B wrote:The last two are Eric Vale and Kent Williams.
Thank you very much Mistah B.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Don't know if it would work. Remember G-Force? It was closer to the original Gatchaman than Battle of the Planets was, including less censoring and no US-only footage of that stupid robot. It got really hated by Battle of the Planets fans, big time.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Don't know if it would work. Remember G-Force? It was closer to the original Gatchaman than Battle of the Planets was, including less censoring and no US-only footage of that stupid robot. It got really hated by Battle of the Planets fans, big time.
US dub of first Gundam series is true to original for example..... That really surprised me, it's dubbed by Ocean
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:06 pm

MCDaveG wrote:US dub of first Gundam series is true to original for example..... That really surprised me, it's dubbed by Ocean
That's because it was dubbed after true-to-the original dubs had become the standard.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:24 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:US dub of first Gundam series is true to original for example..... That really surprised me, it's dubbed by Ocean
That's because it was dubbed after true-to-the original dubs had become
the standard.
Yep. I was wondering why he quoted me though.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:59 pm

RogueA007 wrote:All the while the older fans of the Japanese version (who were lucky enough to have you know, VHS fansubs/VCDs/LDs of the original)...
Are there such things as Dragonball LDs?

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:08 pm

From what I am aware of, at least some of the movies got LaserDisc releases. I mean, for example, Dead Zone in the US got a LD release. *post a convenient link to a thread with a picture*

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=11726

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:15 pm

All of the movies in Japan were released on Laser Disc. At least I think.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:All of the movies in Japan were released on Laser Disc. At least I think.
You're correct, sir. All of the movies were at one time released in Japan on Laser Disc. However, they're very hard to track down, or so I hear. I've never actually looked myself.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm

A faithful redubbing of the script would be great! That's always been the major fallout for the dub in my opinion.
I don't know why everyone dislikes the VAs so much though. They're actually really good for the most part. I guess most people just don't like them because the're used to the original VAs.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."