FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

johnboy1 wrote:I've seen people listing the resolution of the DBoxes as 640x480. Isn't standard DVD definition 720x480?
NTSC DVDs are almost always encoded as 720x480. Note that this frame size is neither a 4:3 nor a 16:9 ratio. There are flags in DVD data that tell the DVD player or your computer whether the image encoded into the 720x480 frame should be displayed as 4:3 or 16:9 on the TV screen. The final shape of the picture on the TV screen is called the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR). So when people post screen shots, they choose which DAR to use. In the case of the Dragon Box, people are posting screen shots as 640x480 because that's the standard 4:3 aspect ratio.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Resizing the images from 720 to 640 makes you loose 38,400 pixels of the image information. Besides, there are multiple ways of reducing image sizes: proximity, bilineal, bicubic, bicubic sharper, bicubic softer...
I don't think it's a good idea to resize the frames. If you are posting PNG because you think a JPG can alter the colours and detail then you shoud compare DBoxes frames at their original resolution, too.
There's no need to see the screenshots at their correct aspect ratio. We are here to compare image quality.
This is just my humble opinion

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm

biohazard wrote:Resizing the images from 720 to 640 makes you loose 38,400 pixels of the image information. Besides, there are multiple ways of reducing image sizes: proximity, bilineal, bicubic, bicubic sharper, bicubic softer...
I don't think it's a good idea to resize the frames. If you are posting PNG because you think a JPG can alter the colours and detail then you shoud compare DBoxes frames at their original resolution, too.
There's no need to see the screenshots at their correct aspect ratio. We are here to compare image quality.
This is just my humble opinion
As was brought up earlier, and explained in detail, unless you are simply doing a pixel by pixel comparison, you need screencaps to be in the proper aspect ratio.

Hence the guide I posted earlier in the thread explaining how to do so. http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... ht=#312266

Pixel by pixel comparisons in regards to screencaps generally just don't work, because for one... well it just doesn't look that way in motion.

The general goal for taking a screencap is to have it be as 'close' as possible to 'watching it.'

So anyone can really do whatever they want, but anyone who understands that concept will ignore it.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:51 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Armymanis wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I just pre-ordered the second box from Amazon.

I don't care enough about getting it early to verify my credit card with Rightstuf :P.
Do you mind posting the link of Amazon.com to where you pre-ordered the Second Set? I can only find the first set on there.
Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y0 ... oh_product

And just in case you wanted it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y0 ... oh_product
Thanks dude! I am going to pre-order it after I get Christmas money! :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm

No problem. Just doing what I can :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:51 pm

*Vaguely wonders why the preorder price for DBox #2 is more expensive than the preorder price for #1.*

Anyway, I finally did get around to watching the first two episodes on my DBox (If I didn't want to get to the gym so badly I would've watched more; in this format its addicting to watch and I probably could've gone through the entire first disc in one run.) and I really like it. X3

When I finish I do want to write my own review somewhere, but for now I will say that I adore the music on this set. Granted I'm a fan of orchestra music in general, but it sets the tone SO well for the show.
Also, the fact that said music plays during the menus is wonderful.

The video itself is so nice and clear and pleasant to look at; much better (imo) than earlier, over-saturated releases. :3
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm

I didn't pay attention, but I know that the preorder price for Dragon Box 1 on Amazon was roughly $55 and then about a month ago it dropped. That's what might be going on with this one too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:59 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I didn't pay attention, but I know that the preorder price for Dragon Box 1 on Amazon was roughly $55 and then about a month ago it dropped. That's what might be going on with this one too.
I hope so. I liked preordering the first one, and that I don't need to preorder super early (if I decide to buy the 2nd set, I'll probably be preordering after the holidays).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I didn't pay attention, but I know that the preorder price for Dragon Box 1 on Amazon was roughly $55 and then about a month ago it dropped. That's what might be going on with this one too.
I hope so. I liked preordering the first one, and that I don't need to preorder super early (if I decide to buy the 2nd set, I'll probably be preordering after the holidays).
Yeah, they dropped in price at both Amazon and RightStuf close to the release date. I went ahead and paid the higher price in order to get it earlier.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:03 pm

I'll definitely pre-order the second one from Right Stuf on their next Funimation sale. I'm sure it'll be $48~ again on the next sale (assuming there will be one in the next 3 months).

And getting it so early was awesome. 8)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Mine automatically got brought down to the low price. That is their preorder guarantee :)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Mine automatically got brought down to the low price. That is their preorder guarantee :)
I would've gotten that had I stayed with Amazon, but I went with RightStuf since it was shipping out earlier... which was worth the $10 that I would've originally used on shipping to get it to my house on Nov 17th.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:12 pm

When I got my Dragon Ball Season 1 set, it got to my house the day it came out in stores. For Dragon Box, there was an issue with my payment method (I forgot that I canceled the credit card that I used to buy it) and it got shipped after the release date. So I don't know, maybe it gets there on the first day?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am

I didn't think this was worth posting a new thread over, but today I picked up the Fullmetal Alchemist movie on Blu-Ray from Madman, and as I was flipping through the trailers there was indeed a Dragonbox one trailer included.

I would assume it's because Madman aren't actually pressing any of their Blu-Ray releases and are simply just re-stamping them with their logo, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:59 am

I would assume it's because Madman aren't actually pressing any of their Blu-Ray releases and are simply just re-stamping them with their logo, but I found it interesting nonetheless.
Unless it had an M15+ or PG before the trailer, I'd probably agree... did it?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:15 am

Chuquita wrote:*Vaguely wonders why the preorder price for DBox #2 is more expensive than the preorder price for #1.*
Because the retailers now have proof that the Dragon Boxes will sell?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:19 am

G1Ravage wrote:
Chuquita wrote:*Vaguely wonders why the preorder price for DBox #2 is more expensive than the preorder price for #1.*
Because the retailers now have proof that the Dragon Boxes will sell?
Nah, it's the exact same price that the first was when I first preordered it.

I'd say there's a good chance it will end up being the same price.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:58 am

I pre-ordered back in September and it arrived on Thursday. As far as buying anything regarding watching this series - I think it is the best decision I've ever made!
Just Saiyan...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:59 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote: Unless it had an M15+ or PG before the trailer, I'd probably agree... did it?
No, it was a carbon copy of the original trailer, albeit upscaled to 1080p.

I poked around the disc some more, there isn't even a mention of Madman, the only place they are mentioned is on the packaging, so it would seem my initial assumption was correct.

Not that it matters to me, Madman would only screw it up and ask for double the price.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am

Having started the collection with the Region 1 boxes, the set would look inconsistent if it changed to Madman.

And one thing I must always have in a set is consistensy... nothing irritates me more than when spines don't match.