Introducing others to DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Introducing others to DB

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Well, recently, I was watching DBZ on my basement TV after school, when it occured to me how terribly..... lonely it was. My parents don't know what it's about, my friends only watch it occasionally, and most other students think of it as "Stupid and Gay and Stuff. You should just watch Pro Wrestling where grown men get oiled up grab each other."

My question is, how can I introduce my parents or other students to like DB/Z? Also, don't suggest anything to do with the dub, as I generally can't watch that without my brain trying to escape from my head.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Sprite Satan
Regular

Re: Introducing others to DB

Post by Sprite Satan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Well, recently, I was watching DBZ on my basement TV after school, when it occured to me how terribly..... lonely it was. My parents don't know what it's about, my friends only watch it occasionally, and most other students think of it as "Stupid and Gay and Stuff. You should just watch Pro Wrestling where grown men get oiled up grab each other."

My question is, how can I introduce my parents or other students to like DB/Z? Also, don't suggest anything to do with the dub, as I generally can't watch that without my brain trying to escape from my head.

Now now, don't bash pro wrestling. It's not like that's so super popular these days either. :(

If you're cutting the dub out entirely, you're severely limiting your options. Usually, usually, if your parents/fellow students/that raccoon that keeps eating out of your garbage don't already watched subbed anime, they're not likely to get into it now.

If you're just looking for a starting point, on the other hand, hmmm... Garlic Jr. saga.

No, I really mean 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament. Or just make them read the manga from the beginning. While you wield a big stick.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm

My first idea involves rope and chloroform, but I suspect that discussion would take another route. So anyways....I doubt your parents will be up for watching it since I don't know many parents who would be willing to watch shows like this with their kids, never mind some silly Japanese cartoon. As for your friends/other students, just invite them over to your place to hang out, then run over to the TV and put in DragonBall and tell them you'll kill them if they go anywhere.

Maybe the ropes idea is better.
Not a problem.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:Well, recently, I was watching DBZ on my basement TV after school, when it occured to me how terribly..... lonely it was. My parents don't know what it's about, my friends only watch it occasionally, and most other students think of it as "Stupid and Gay and Stuff. You should just watch Pro Wrestling where grown men get oiled up grab each other."

Now now, don't bash pro wrestling. It's not like that's so super popular these days either. :(

If you're cutting the dub out entirely, you're severely limiting your options. Usually, usually, if your parents/fellow students/that raccoon that keeps eating out of your garbage don't already watched subbed anime, they're not likely to get into it now.

If you're just looking for a starting point, on the other hand, hmmm... Garlic Jr. saga.

No, I really mean 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament. Or just make them read the manga from the beginning. While you wield a big stick.
Sorry if I bashed something you like. It's actually really popular at my school.

Why the 23rd Budokai? Why not the Pilaf arc? It just seems to me like they would have NO idea who anyone was, particularly Tao Pai Pai.

My first idea involves rope and chloroform, but I suspect that discussion would take another route. So anyways....I doubt your parents will be up for watching it since I don't know many parents who would be willing to watch shows like this with their kids, never mind some silly Japanese cartoon. As for your friends/other students, just invite them over to your place to hang out, then run over to the TV and put in DragonBall and tell them you'll kill them if they go anywhere.

Maybe the ropes idea is better.
The wierd thing is, my dad actually likes cartoons. He's just not the biggest fan of Subbed anything, drawn out fights, swearing, or immature humor.

As for inviting people over, I'm extremely shy and nerdy, so we can toss that out the window.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:18 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Sorry if I bashed something you like. It's actually really popular at my school.

Why the 23rd Budokai? Why not the Pilaf arc? It just seems to me like they would have NO idea who anyone was, particularly Tao Pai Pai.
Hah, it's okay. Wrestling is homo-erotic as hell, no doubt.

I feel it's a good place to get a feel for what they like, if they like, about the series and you can run from there.

If they're all "Woah, epic fighting with energy beams. Two thumbs up." you can serve them up some Dragon Ball Z. Sure, it's breaking the order but it is how most people in the west, including myself, got into it and it never did me any harm.

If they're all about "Comedy! Wackiness! Goku is a moron!" then you can slam down some Pilaf and have them chow down on that.

The thing is, if people around your area really do think of it as "stupid and gay and stuff" then I don't think you're going to win them over with child Goku feeling people's balls as an impromptu gender test, some truly groan-worthy puns and all of that.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:23 pm

I'll watch Dragonball with you man, I'll be right over wait for me by the door. Tell mama Overlord to bake some cookies too.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I'll watch Dragonball with you man, I'll be right over wait for me by the door. Tell mama Overlord to bake some cookies too.
HaHa! If only, If only. If it were possible, I'd invite all the Daizexers over. But Hell, why would we watch it at my place, with my shitty old DB VHS and faux "remastered" sets when we could hang out Mr.EX's and enjoy some quality Dragonbox!

But Alas.....
Hah, it's okay. Wrestling is homo-erotic as hell, no doubt.

I feel it's a good place to get a feel for what they like, if they like, about the series and you can run from there.

If they're all "Woah, epic fighting with energy beams. Two thumbs up." you can serve them up some Dragon Ball Z. Sure, it's breaking the order but it is how most people in the west, including myself, got into it and it never did me any harm.

If they're all about "Comedy! Wackiness! Goku is a moron!" then you can slam down some Pilaf and have them chow down on that.

The thing is, if people around your area really do think of it as "stupid and gay and stuff" then I don't think you're going to win them over with child Goku feeling people's balls as an impromptu gender test, some truly groan-worthy puns and all of that.
You make a good point, but if we chose to go backwards, wouldn't it totally ruin the Daimao arc? I mean they'd know that everyone gets revived and Pic survives...

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Well, I actually recently introduced a friend who had zero interest in the series to it- the way it worked was that we played an exchange game. Basically I wanted her to see Dragonball and she wanted me to see a show she liked that I thought was ridiculous, so we agreed to hang out one day and watch both. Play an episode of my show, an episode of her show, and it was really pretty fun. Maybe that could work for you to convince an unwilling person to give it a shot?

As to the part of the series... it depends on the things the person you're showing likes. The beginning is usually a good place to start, but.. eh, it's very easy to see how the sort of humor in the first eps of DB could turn some people off so perhaps elsewhere. I'd say something powerful where you don't have to know the whole story to appreciate it, like... maybe somewhere where they're first on Nameksei and the characters are lost too (like the viewer probably is), three are a few cool fights scattered between a lot of intense intrigue. Ask Kunzait to ramble about this section if you want a better explanation of how cool it is ^^
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 pm

For your parents I'd suggest watching some Saiyan arc Gohan filler like the robot episode.
Velasa wrote:Well, I actually recently introduced a friend who had zero interest in the series to it- the way it worked was that we played an exchange game. Basically I wanted her to see Dragonball and she wanted me to see a show she liked that I thought was ridiculous, so we agreed to hang out one day and watch both. Play an episode of my show, an episode of her show, and it was really pretty fun. Maybe that could work for you to convince an unwilling person to give it a shot?
Did you both get into each others shows?

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 am

She came out admitting that there was indeed more to the show than blonde people punching each other. I came out admitting her show was a little more complicated than card games on motorcycles. So neither of us were immediately transformed, but we were willing to give the other's show a better shot than we were before.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:25 am

Velasa wrote:I came out admitting her show was a little more complicated than card games on motorcycles.
Wait, what show is this?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:27 am

Herms wrote:Wait, what show is this?
I'm guessing it's Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:32 am

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you are "shy and nerdy" exactly how are you planning to get other people into DB? I mean...wouldn't you need to watch it with them? I mean, somewhere along the way you'd have to either invite them over or go to someone else's house...
Not a problem.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:38 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Indeed ^^; We both had heavy biasses against each others' favorite shows so this was the only way we'd agree to watch them at all.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

wicked86

Post by wicked86 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 am

FuniYamcha wrote:I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you are "shy and nerdy" exactly how are you planning to get other people into DB? I mean...wouldn't you need to watch it with them? I mean, somewhere along the way you'd have to either invite them over or go to someone else's house...
I was actually wonder the same...

I actually have similar instances with this kinda thing, not having anybody to watch with/discuss with. Thats fine most of the time, though sometimes sharing interests would be nice. Funny thing is most of my friends have seen and like the show, but when it comes to actually discussing it or having any kinda meaningful conversation its always "next topic".

I'd say just be glad you at least have a forum to talk about it on. Gotta remember the world's pretty close-minded when it comes to things it doesn't understand.
Last edited by wicked86 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:05 am

Velasa wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Indeed ^^; We both had heavy biasses against each others' favorite shows so this was the only way we'd agree to watch them at all.
Wow...that's her favorite show? I'm just going to go ahead and assume she has seen only two shows in her entire life.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:48 am

I always go with one of the films...they're easy to follow and get to the point quickly. Path to Power, Mystical Adventure, Dead Zone...those three are really effective introductions. After that I lend them some of my Viz Tankobans and hope for the best.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I've actually gotten a bunch of my friends into it by accident. One of them was over at my house playing video games with me, and he popped in Sparking! Meteor and started playing. Since then, he's been reading my manga.

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Do not give them Z. Give 'em Dragonball. :)
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Velasa wrote:Well, I actually recently introduced a friend who had zero interest in the series to it- the way it worked was that we played an exchange game. Basically I wanted her to see Dragonball and she wanted me to see a show she liked that I thought was ridiculous, so we agreed to hang out one day and watch both. Play an episode of my show, an episode of her show, and it was really pretty fun. Maybe that could work for you to convince an unwilling person to give it a shot?

As to the part of the series... it depends on the things the person you're showing likes. The beginning is usually a good place to start, but.. eh, it's very easy to see how the sort of humor in the first eps of DB could turn some people off so perhaps elsewhere. I'd say something powerful where you don't have to know the whole story to appreciate it, like... maybe somewhere where they're first on Nameksei and the characters are lost too (like the viewer probably is), three are a few cool fights scattered between a lot of intense intrigue. Ask Kunzait to ramble about this section if you want a better explanation of how cool it is ^^
This method actually works quite well. It's how I got my brother to watch Death Note & Bleach.