Goku vs. Freeza (number of anime episodes / its length)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku vs. Freeza (number of anime episodes / its length)

Post by Soul » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 am

Why on Earth is that fight 18 episodes long? Is it really just long-drawn out power-ups, stare downs, and recycled animation?
Last edited by Soul on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Goku vs. Freeza..

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 am

Son arrives in episode 86. They don't really fight then, since the episode mostly concentrates on Vegeta.
86-105; if you count Goku's arrival and the brief little bursts here and there.
18-19 episodes. I dunno where you're getting 20+
It's really a spectacular fight even with the filler, I enjoyed it.
I think one thing I enjoyed the most was watching the scenery change from a planet that's slightly in ruins to the point of where lava is shooting out into the heavens!
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:18 am

Ha, I edited the episode number estimation then.
But seriously, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't get redundant.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:16 am

Soul wrote:Ha, I edited the episode number estimation then.
But seriously, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't get redundant.
Well I skimmed through each episode and here's what I got:
#087: Lots of action, tint of comedy. Overall great episode.
#088: Things heat up a bit, towards the end things take a bit of more serious tone.
#089: Things seemed to be evenly matched, Freeza seems to be showing slight fatigue along with Goku. We also maybe see a little too much time with Bulma and Ginyu, but I enjoyed it.
#090: Freeza proves to be more than Goku can handle.
#091: Goku is outclassed by Freeza but doesn't let that stop him and gives everything he has to try and defeat him.
#092: Goku puts his faith into the Spirit Bomb after being beaten down into the ground by Freeza.
#093: Goku is tormented by Freeza's blows while charging the Spirit Bomb but is soon given a chance to rest due to Piccolo joining the fray.
#094: The Spirit Bomb is fired and Freeza takes it on full force.
#095: The Ginyu Force is defeated on Kaio-sama's planet. The once thought dead Freeza seemingly returns from beyond the crave and kills Krillin, triggering Goku to transform into a Super Saiya-jin!
#096: Freeza and SSJ Goku commence battle, only for Freeza to slowly realize there's someone stronger than him (while he's in his current state).
#097: Freeza becomes desperate and sends a small Death Ball at Planet Namek, stating at the time that it's not always the strongest that wins the battle.
#098: Goku allows Freeza a chance to power up to his maximum strength as Planet Namek becomes even more unstable.
#099: Goku and Freeza fight to the death in an epic struggle for power. Kaio-sama and Kami-sama at the same time orchestrate a plan to save everyone.
#100: Freeza temporarily knocks out Goku, but Gohan returns to briefly fend off Freeza. Guru is revived along with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
#101: Freeza attempts to make his wish with the Dragon Balls but fails, again. Everyone that was previously revived and on Namek (excluding Goku and Freeza) are sent to Earth
#102: Goku and Freeza battle as the planet's end draws near. Vegeta starts trouble on Earth, verbally.
#103: Freeza comes to the realization that he's no longer the strongest in the universe as Goku's words torture him from the inside out.
#104: Freeza is sliced in half by his own attack, but Goku lends him some of his chi to allow him to live.
#105: Freeza is seemingly defeated by Goku and not seen again until he comes to Earth.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am

I missed the airing of the SSJ transformation on Toonami because I got that bored with the fight.
I dunno, one-on-one fights lasting for ages doesn't really seem to work without something particularly special happening.
Which might be why I don't care for either Goku/Vegeta fight or Goku Vs. Cell. Quite a few places in the Buu fighting were kinda draggy as well (Gohan's prolonged beating by Gotenks Buu, and Buu's prlonged beating at the hands of Vegetto... Eh.).

The need for such lengths... gah...

[edit] 8 episodes = 5 minutes... fortunately that 8 isn't on its side. :O.
One of these days, we need to determine exactly how much of that counts toward the SPACE minutes. [/edit]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 am

Aside from the talking, I just consider what we are seeing to be slowed down to a percentage of the speed that they are really fighting at.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Aside from the talking, I just consider what we are seeing to be slowed down to a percentage of the speed that they are really fighting at.
Well yeah, that's really with anything later on in the series. Plus all the other things happening at the exact same time. :P

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:01 am

I'd recommend just reading the fight in the manga and not bothering with all the overly drawn out nonsense in the anime. Same thing with any other fight that drags in the anime.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 am

Herms wrote:I'd recommend just reading the fight in the manga and not bothering with all the overly drawn out nonsense in the anime. Same thing with any other fight that drags in the anime.
That is physically out of my ability (yay Manga Review of Awesomeness~!).
... But somehow, everything I've read here leads me to agree. =P
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am

Perfect wrote:*screenshot recap snip*
Gotta praise your enthusiasm. Eye-candyish.

Well for what it's worth, the first time I saw this fight....I was glued all the way through.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 am

Goku vs Cell was a lot faster and better than Gohan vs Cell, which REALLY dragged. Not quite as much as the Frieza fight though.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Goku vs Cell was a lot faster and better than Gohan vs Cell, which REALLY dragged. Not quite as much as the Freeza fight though.
Eh, not going to deny that. XD.
I suppose they just kind of run together in my mind, so I kind of stopped paying attention just like with the Freeza fight. Except people told me about SSJ2 ahead of time, so I didn't miss it like the previous arc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Goku vs. Freeza (number of anime episodes / its length)

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, the anime and comic were pretty close to one another so they had to do something. :p

When I watched Dragon Box Volume Three I actually didn't mind the length of the fight. The music, actors, and visuals kept me entertained throughout. The latter half of the Super Saiyan fight has some really great art and animation direction. There's also the great filler of Gokû's nightmare, or Gokû and Freeza pretty much blowing islands to smithereens. All very fun. Even the Ginyû Special Force filler isn't too bad if you watch it in Japanese (and probably only once every year or so, depending on how often you rewatch stuff).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Goku vs Frieza lasted 18-19 episodes? lol It seemed longer than that, anyway this is one of those reasons why Dragon Ball Kai was made.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Perfect wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Aside from the talking, I just consider what we are seeing to be slowed down to a percentage of the speed that they are really fighting at.
Well yeah, that's really with anything later on in the series. Plus all the other things happening at the exact same time. :P
Maybe they both fell asleep and Goku was the subject, with Freeza being the dreamer during the fight or something.

I find it far easier to watch all these shows with the DVDs and DVRs. That way it's on my time and not their's. I can watch as many episodes as I want at a time and no get stressed about wanting to know what happens next and getting interupted by some filler.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I loved the fight so the length didn't matter to me. As a matter of fact, I'm going to rewatch it tonight.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 am

How many times does Freeza look shocked by Goku's strength, only to reveal that he's been holding back? I feel like that fight had too many instances of "I know something you don't. I'm not left-handed!" As a whole, it gets a little repetitive. It has some great moments, though.
I can see their parachutes.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 am

While Z takes 18 episode, Kai only takes 11 episodes. Just sayin'