"Dragon Ball SD" in Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed+Released)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

"Dragon Ball SD" in Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed+Released)

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... g-for-kids

That's a small article about a new magazine from Shueisha featuring various spin offs from series like One Piece, Naruto, Reborn, etc. No Dragon Ball spin off is listed, but it seems like some people think there's going to be one. Namely, the guys at mangastream.

http://forum.mangastream.com/showthread.php?t=10172

Nor sure if that counts as illegal activities or whatever, but as you can see there's a Dragon Ball spin off listed. "Dragon Ball SD" sounds fairly dodgy as a title though, and it's not mentioned anywhere else that I can find.

So, BS rumour?

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Re: Saikyō Jump and Dragon Ball SD?

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Neko Majin, Mr. Satan, and Arale get together and has another tea party for Mr. Satan. I'm calling it.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55 pm

>SD
>super deformed

So... chibi Dragon Ball characters? I hope Ooishi can write, 'cause that concept sounds old and tired.

EDIT: Of course, the above is pessimistic conjecture. If "SD" stands for something else, cool, but I did see that Jump scan promoting Super Strong, and the One Piece and Naruto spin-offs didn't exactly look promising.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

I think it's a rumor. There was no DB title listed in the official announcement. I'd love some more comedic DB stuff (especially if it involves Goku and Vegeta) but I think this is just wishful thinking on Mangastream's part. :(

Of course, if it is true, I'll definitely give it a read. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 pm

It's real.

Coming from Naho Ooishi, who did the two-manga manga adaptation of 2008's Jump Super Anime Tour Special.

Needless to say, site updated.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Interesting...can't wait to find out more about it!
Trans rights, now!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's real.

Coming from Naho Ooishi, who did the two-manga manga adaptation of 2008's Jump Super Anime Tour Special.

Needless to say, site updated.

OH. O_O

Awesomeness! And it looks like it's starring child Goku and child Kuririn? Very fun times. :3
(I would've liked some Vegeta in there too, but I'm not complaining; child Goku always leads to humorous situations.)
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 pm

This is very good news. I'm always excited for anything new to come out of the DB franchise. Now that rumor is confirmed to be true, we can use this thread for predictions. Or should we start a whole new thread?
Last edited by Scarz on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball SD" Coming To Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Discuss / predict away! Changed the thread's title.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Takuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Takuy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 pm

To another 26 years, eh?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Sounds cool, I will check it out for sure. I wonder if this was the manga that BleedingCool News got confused with?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Looks like it'll be some fun stories from Son's youth. I look forward to how this pans out.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Well then, I hope it focuses on Goku and Vegeta (I can never get enough of these two) but as Chuquita said it might be about young Goku and Krillin. Perhaps a "The lost adventures of..." kind of story?

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Remember that webcomic where Goku and Kuririn went to school together? I wouldn't mind one bit if that went professional and the artist is making new strips now. However....that prediction seems rather unlikely. Can't get too excited at this point but I'll be sure to check in for updates.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 pm

The page says the manga will be in all color and feature Goku running wild with Kuririn and the rest of his friends. Also, "that popular character is set to appear". Maybe we'll get to see kid Vegeta? Or kid Satan?

That page also makes me think this will just be a one-shot and not a continuing series. It's listed at the bottom in a separate section than the One Piece and Naruto one-shots and whatnot, in the section labeled "more and more startling contents", right with the One Piece 3D chess and cards and other special things that presumably are exclusive to the first issue.
Last edited by Herms on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 pm

Herms wrote: Or kid Satan?
Yes please, now. Can't wait, Scarz please make fan art.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm

As Hellspawn28 already mentioned, I'm assuming this is what BleedingCool News was talking about. I wouldn't mind both, though.
And just a one-shot would be fine with me. The other popular character should be Arale. :D
Last edited by Makaioshin on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Herms wrote:The page says the manga will be in all color and feature Goku running wild with Kuririn and the rest of his friends. Also, "that popular character is set to appear". Maybe we'll get to see kid Vegeta? Or kid Satan?

That page also makes me think this will just be a one-shot and not a continuing series. It's listed at the bottom in a separate section than the One Piece and Naruto one-shots and whatnot, right with the One Piece 3D chess and cards and other special things that presumably are exclusive to the first issue.
Now I'm trying to imagine Mark without his facial hair, but I keep thinking of that Gokule fusion instead.

But still, please let it be Vegeta, please let it be Vegeta. X3
Kid Vegeta having to deal with Kid Goku does have potential.

Also, Vegeta could conceivably be taller than Goku in this, that would be interesting.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 am

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:Remember that webcomic where Goku and Kuririn went to school together? I wouldn't mind one bit if that went professional and the artist is making new strips now. However....that prediction seems rather unlikely. Can't get too excited at this point but I'll be sure to check in for updates.
Was that the Peanuts version of DB? Because I remember a DB webcomic that was like Peanuts, but with DB characters.

If this is anything like that, awesome.

I hope Roshi and Lunch are both in it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:05 am

I hope this will be a on going series then a mini series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/