OLD Fandom Terminology/Romanizations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

OLD Fandom Terminology/Romanizations

Post by Thouser » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I've seen some pretty cool/interesting/bizarre translations of character names and other things while looking at old fansub clips, old fansites, and stuff on Takarajima's very cool site. Stuff like Kuririn being called "Killyin" and Genki Dama being translated as "Lifeforce Sphere". Even weird stuff like "Kami" becoming "Kame" and "deity" in the same translation.

I've become interested in what kinds of translations were used in the earlier days of the fandom. What are some examples of older translations and romanizations we don't see very often today? What were some popular ones? Weird ones you only saw once? Were there "intense debates" over how to translate or romanize something in particular (like the whole Tullece/Tales/Turles/Taurus thing)?
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: OLD Fandom Terminology/Romanizations

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Not exactly a romanization, but "Kushami" used to spread through the fandom as the name for Lunch's evil half. This is due to Curtis Hoffmann, who had summarized most of the volumes of the DB manga for the English-speaking community, long before we'd ever gotten an official release, calling her that in his texts. Kushami is actually the word for sneeze, so he apparently used it as more of a linguistic shorthand to distinguish between the two (incidentally, he referred to the good half as "Ranchi"). Of course, the Rumor Guide on the site dealt with this one long ago, but since the summaries was how I was introduced to much of DB that FUNimation hadn't gotten to yet, that was ingrained in me early on as well.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Thouser wrote:Stuff like Kuririn being called "Killyin"
"Klilyn" was (and still is, I think) the standard alphabet spelling used on Japanese merchandise.

"Doubler" for "Dabra" used to be pretty common.

Besides "Super Boo", I remember it used to be pretty standard for people to call Gotenks-absorbed Boo "Super Boo 2" and Gohan-absorbed Boo "Super Boo 3", but I haven't seen those in ages.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm not sure if this fits your criteria, but does anyone else remember the "Mystic Gohan" terminology? I never really understood where that was from. Was it due to translation or just purely a creation of the fans?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Oh wow, I'd forgotten all about "Doubler". I first saw that spelling back on Planet Namek.

I think it's actually kind of surprising that "Blooma" never appeared way back when. At least not that I recall.
"Vejita" or even "Bejita" are spellings you never see anymore but I remember from fanfiction.net long ago.
The variations on Goku's name, replacing the "u" with "ou", "uu", "uh", or "û" have kind of disappeared too.
"Chichi" as a single word without the - .
"Mirai Trunks".

EDIT: Some more to add that I'd forgotten about earlier.
"C-17" and "C-18".
Referring to DB Earth as "Chikyuu".
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 am

Chibi Boo!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 am

I remember Broly being called Broli or Brolli or Brolly.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:29 am

Jackal puFF wrote:I remember Broly being called Broli or Brolli or Brolly.
"Broli" (to bring out the "i" from "broccoli") is our spelling of choice here at Kanzenshuu, and has been around for a long, long time. FUNimation went with "Broly" for their English version. Neither "Broli" nor "Broly" (or its double-"L" variant) are particularly "old" or "modern", I'd say, since they span the entire fandom's time.

"Brawley" is one of those spellings that North American fans pretty quickly shoved aside from the olden days (comparatively speaking, anyway) I'd say. "Ginew" (the spelling from Japanese merchandise and video games) is in the same vein.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 am

Well, there were the weird renders of certain characters’ names in the English version of Ultimate Battle 22 (e.g. “Likum” (Recoom), “Genious” (Ginyuu), “Super Bou”), and the (in)famous “Son Gokou”.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 am

atm5508 wrote:I'm not sure if this fits your criteria, but does anyone else remember the "Mystic Gohan" terminology? I never really understood where that was from. Was it due to translation or just purely a creation of the fans?
I'm pretty sure it was originally a straight-up fan creation, but it did end up getting used on some US action figures and whatnot (although there it just seemed to be used to refer to Gohan in his Kaioshin outfit).

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

Herms wrote:I'm pretty sure it was originally a straight-up fan creation, but it did end up getting used on some US action figures and whatnot (although there it just seemed to be used to refer to Gohan in his Kaioshin outfit).
ImageImage :wink:
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 am

Holy crap, I forgot all about that "Maijin" typo on that line of figures. Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am

I know somewhere on the forums I saw a picture of a figure labeled "Super Saiyan Mystic Gohan", which was Super Saiyan Gohan in his Kaioshin outfit. Good to know they also used the term "properly", such as it is.

Edit:Well, there's no images, but in this thread they mention the use of "Super Saiyan Mystic Gohan" on US merchandise.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Interesting. I had no idea that the term was used on any official merchandise.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Herms wrote:Besides "Super Boo", I remember it used to be pretty standard for people to call Gotenks-absorbed Boo "Super Boo 2" and Gohan-absorbed Boo "Super Boo 3", but I haven't seen those in ages.
I still use them. It's so much faster than "Super Buu with Gotenks absorbed," or "Super Buu with Gohan absorbed" and it takes up a lot less space on the side of the screen/page when making a PL list. :lol:
atm5508 wrote:I'm not sure if this fits your criteria, but does anyone else remember the "Mystic Gohan" terminology? I never really understood where that was from. Was it due to translation or just purely a creation of the fans?
Purely a fan thing. I think it came from the idea that the power he'd gained was from a 'mystical' origin, being from the Elder's ritual and all.
Last edited by Xyex on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Herms wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was originally a straight-up fan creation, but it did end up getting used on some US action figures and whatnot (although there it just seemed to be used to refer to Gohan in his Kaioshin outfit).
They also used "Mystic Gohan" in the booklet for the Season 9 Orange Brick. I don't normally talk like this, but I seriously LOL'd when I saw that.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 am

I remember Mystic Gohan was also on the Tazo-style collection way back in the day.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:The variations on Goku's name, replacing the "u" with "ou", "uu", "uh", or "û" have kind of disappeared too.
"Chichi" as a single word without the - .
I've been using "Gokuu" forever, and I know I've seen at least a few other people who currently use it, too. I guess I'm not completely neutral, but if anything, I'd say that one is actually modern, since "Goku" and "Gokou" (Bandai's favorite spelling) are what I remember being most common in the old days.

As for "Chichi," I thought that one was still fairly common, too. There's no real logic for a hyphen to even be there, beyond "That's what FUNimation did." I'm fairly certain "Chichi" is what's used in the official subtitles, too.
-Rachel

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Chuquita wrote: "C-17" and "C-18".
That's dub terminology, from France I believe, not fandom names.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!