Would you be more forgiving towards the dub if....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Would you be more forgiving towards the dub if....

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:40 am

Would you judge the Funimation dub less harshly if instead of a full Kai style redub they simply did some George Lucusing to their old Z dub and removed the really OOC stuff like "the hope of the universe" speach, incorrect statements like "he's faster than the speed of light" etc.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you be more forgiving towards the dub if....

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 am

ringworm128 wrote:Would you judge the Funimation dub less harshly if instead of a full Kai style redub they simply did some George Lucusing to their old Z dub and removed the really OOC stuff like "the hope of the universe" speach, incorrect statements like "he's faster than the speed of light" etc.
Ill be honest, if we never got Kai, id have likely stopped watching DBZ. At the most id give the Japanese dub a shot (not a huge fan of it, but its growing on me).
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 am

It would still have some pretty poor casting, wonky, substandard acting, and replacement music. And even if they took out "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" and the like, there's still dozens of scenes they'd have to redo entirely.

I mean, it's not that the dub is just somewhat bad and I've been exaggerating for effect. It's rotten down to the keel. Even the Kai dub isn't spectacular, though a good number of the cast has improved.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:06 am

Well if they just re-dubbed certain lines, the actors would have to deliver the replacement line just like how they did the original line. Can't have the actor sound awkward from an old line from 1999 then suddenly a perfectly delivered line from 2014 shows up outta nowhere. The Orange Brick season 2 has a similar case to this.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 am

My biggest problem with the old dub is inaccuracy. If the script itself were more faithful, I could live with the voices I'm not a fan of.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 am

I'm fine with the dub as it is, I own the manga if I cared that much for accuracy I'd just read that.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:38 am

The putrid dub would still be awful regardless of precision.

Poor voice acting of Schemmel, Sabat, Linda Young and the rest would still be flawed, music would have too and plenty more issues. FUNimation's Kai dub was an overall improvement but Sabat still made Vegeta sound too deep, Schemmel turned Goku to a Superman and Colleen's nailed it to the coffin by making Gohan to sounding like a high-pitched annoying college girl.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 am

Isn't the partial redub of Season 3 and early Season 4 sort of a George Lucasing thing? Anyway I'm glad they didn't really go too far with that route. Much like the partial redub of Season 3 making changes here and there it just wouldn't' please anyone. Fans who loved the original dub the way it was wouldn't be happy and fans who wanted a completely new faithful dub wouldn't be happy. The Funimation dub of DBZ was exactly what it set out to be and was already popular so why make a half-assed attempt at making it more faithful?

I think the way they saw Kai as an opportunity to take that direction instead of further messing with Z worked out for the best. This way we have Z and we have Kai with no confusion and no fans complaining they can't see the version they grew up with.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 pm

I was about to say the same thing - they already kinda-sorta did that a little bit with the Season Sets, which I believe has been the exact same 'English version' ever since, on every release. It's already awkward enough in some spots hearing a newer, better Sabat compared to the old audio for pretty much everyone else. In all honesty, it probably would have been for the best if they had just left the dub as is - most anyone interested in the dub already loves or at least knows what they're getting into with it, and most others wouldn't be interested in anything less than a from-the-grounds-up re-dub (that we get anyway, somewhat, in the form of Kai).

I fail to see how Schemmel's Kai performance is anything 'Superman'-like though...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 pm

I would have loved it if they had gone back and re-written/re-recorded more of the Z dub to be more accurate. The problem with that is... where exactly do you draw the line? Yeah, the biggest offenders like the "hope of the universe" speech are easy enough to pick out, but unless they thoroughly comb over the entire dub, they're bound to leave in a lot of inaccurate lines. And at that point, you're essentially redubbing the entire series.

Anyone who's ever seen my signature knows that I'm (slowly) doing dub/sub comparisons for Detective Conan / Case Closed. I once tried this with the "uncut" dub of the first Dragon Ball Z arc and some of the movies. A revised version of DBZ Uncensored, if you will. And... I had to stop. I just couldn't take it anymore. I was essentially transcribing entire episodes. Voices and dub music aside, some of the scripts are just that bad.

Something like that can't be fixed with just as little "George Lucas-ing." It can be improved, yeah, but it comes to a point where you just have to abandon ship. Kai gave them the perfect opportunity to do that. Personally, I have a TON of nitpicks about the Kai dub. I made it to the end of the Freeza arc before switching back to Japanese. But the majority of the (informed) fandom seems to be more than satisfied with it, and it is a vast improvement over the Z dub, so I'm good. I've "forgiven" FUNimation.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:08 pm

The reason I don't watch the Funi dub is because I think the voices are bad and the music is bad. Also, I think the anime as a whole is pretty bad compared to the manga, so I don't watch any version of the anime all that much. Given all that, a version of the Funi dub with a more accurate script wouldn't tempt me too much.

On the other hand, an accurate dub would be something I could safely not watch and then not have to concern myself with at all. As is, I don't watch the Funi dub but I still have to deal with all the really stupid character names, backstory, and whatnot that the Funi dub made up.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:32 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Would you judge the Funimation dub less harshly if instead of a full Kai style redub they simply did some George Lucusing to their old Z dub and removed the really OOC stuff like "the hope of the universe" speach, incorrect statements like "he's faster than the speed of light" etc.
As some others have stated in this thread the dub problems with the original Z dub is much more fundamental and intrusive than any cursory editing can fix. My hope is that one day (probably decades from now) Funimation re-dubs the original DBZ series with a script much closer to the original Japanese. The only way they can rectify the problems with the dub is to simply re dub it.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:34 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The putrid dub would still be awful regardless of precision.

Poor voice acting of Schemmel, Sabat, Linda Young and the rest would still be flawed, music would have too and plenty more issues. FUNimation's Kai dub was an overall improvement but Sabat still made Vegeta sound too deep, Schemmel turned Goku to a Superman and Colleen's nailed it to the coffin by making Gohan to sounding like a high-pitched annoying college girl.
I think this is the first time I've seen someone be so negative to three of the biggest voice actors of Funimation's dub. I really enjoy their voice work and my only problems lie with the wonky script that was provided to them. They did a heck of a job and put in a lot of passion and hard work into the episodes, can't we at least appreciate their attempt? Anything coming after the original Japanese voice performances isn't going to measure up but they did a valiant job.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't see dbboxkaifan personally attacking the individuals or otherwise inferring that they did not make a worthwhile/valiant attempt.

I also think they made valiant attempts for the time, but I wouldn't ever subject anyone - let alone myself - to having to sit through it, either. I thought it was a horrible product in 1999, and I think it's still a horrible product. Incidentally, so do many of the people we're actually talking about.

The two viewpoints can co-exist (thinking they did their job, and not liking their actual output).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 pm

A lot of the major inaccuracies with the Z dub's dialogue would've been fixed by just removing lines (or muting them out) from the OB/Dragon Box DVDs, rather than then re-recording everything....

Roshi's dialogue for the Red Ribbon Army flashback during the Android arc could've been muted entirely, just playing the music and SFX, and the whole "Gero leading the RRA" nonsense would've been erased for good.
RocktheDragon wrote:I think this is the first time I've seen someone be so negative to three of the biggest voice actors of Funimation's dub.
Welcome to Kanzenshuu, my pal. :P
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Herms wrote:The reason I don't watch the Funi dub is because I think the voices are bad and the music is bad. Also, I think the anime as a whole is pretty bad compared to the manga, so I don't watch any version of the anime all that much. Given all that, a version of the Funi dub with a more accurate script wouldn't tempt me too much.

On the other hand, an accurate dub would be something I could safely not watch and then not have to concern myself with at all. As is, I don't watch the Funi dub but I still have to deal with all the really stupid character names, backstory, and whatnot that the Funi dub made up.
The whole music thing shouldn't be an issue nowadays since the Funi dub can be watched with the Japanese BGM.

BurakkuForesuto

Post by BurakkuForesuto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Which dub? The French dub? The Portugal dub? The Spanish dub? Didn't I say this before? You cannot use the term "the dub" in such a vague manner, in the context of DBZ. There are plenty of DBZ dubs with dub errors, censorship, bad voice acting and inaccurate scripts. Same thing with Cowboy Bebop. When people say the dub is better than the sub, you have to point out that Cowboy Bebop has about half a dozen dubs, added on to the fact that the English dub of Bebop isn't all that great. Granted in the case of Bebop at least, the English dub predated all other adaptations. The English dubs of Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT did not.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm generally in the same boat as you with "clarify which dub you're talking about", but the first post literally spells out "the Funimation dub" and then further goes on to clarify which part of their production they specifically mean.

If you're not willing to read the actual post content itself and instead base your response on the title alone, you're not prepared for the discussions on this forum.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't see dbboxkaifan personally attacking the individuals or otherwise inferring that they did not make a worthwhile/valiant attempt.

I also think they made valiant attempts for the time, but I wouldn't ever subject anyone - let alone myself - to having to sit through it, either. I thought it was a horrible product in 1999, and I think it's still a horrible product. Incidentally, so do many of the people we're actually talking about.

The two viewpoints can co-exist (thinking they did their job, and not liking their actual output).
Come on now....it's not That! bad now is it? :P I've watched old kung fu movies where the voice acting is just god awful and when I hear people say things that their old dub is unbearable to sit through I kinda get a little laugh. even though there's times where you're like ''wuut?'' I don't believe I would say ''but I wouldn't ever subject anyone - let alone myself - to having to sit through it, either.'' :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Well...the old dub certainly is unbearable if you don't have some level of attachment to it, like I do, so it is kinda 'that bad'. But I would agree that old live-action dubs (and most live-action dubs in general, really) are far more unbearable. It's part of the reason I still haven't watched any of the Bruce Lee movies I have in this one box, because it turns out all it has is the overdubs. Urgh.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)