Herms watches the show (update: DB 29)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 4)

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 am

Adamant wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I think that a logical way to do it would be translating "Murasaki" into whatever language the show is being translated.
That's indeed what the Norwegian manga translation did. It's pretty flawed in general, but that was a nice touch.
Correction: They translated his name some of the time. I'm pretty sure in volume... 5? where he first appeared, he was called Murasaki, only for them to switch to calling him "Lilla" (the Norwegian word for purple) in volume 6.

Consistency. The Norwegian manga was absolutely worthless at it. Of course that is only one of roughly a thousand things wrong with that release.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 7-8)

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:56 pm

And just wondering, did the Norwegian comic translate the English names to Norwegian (Red, Black, et cetera)?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:And just wondering, did the Norwegian comic translate the English names to Norwegian (Red, Black, et cetera)?
No.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Episode 9
Boss Rabbit’s Special Skill

--I’ve previously only seen the last few minutes of this episode, back when the Funi dub first aired on Toonami. I missed most of it due to having to get a haircut. “Seen once, dubbed on Toonami years ago” is my experience with most of this section of the anime, but it wasn’t too long after seeing these episodes that I started reading the Viz manga.

--The episode starts off showing Yamcha trailing Bulma and co. from about six feet behind them. How unobservant are they?

--Great moments in filler: Bulma’s cute voice causes Yamcha to foam at the mouth.

--The gibberish writing seen throughout the town this episode (and in the manga) looks suspiciously similar to Namekian. And Namekian looks suspiciously similar to the language of the Dr. Slump aliens who run over Turbo with their spaceship. And the robot who translates for those aliens in Dr. Slump looks suspiciously similar to the Big Gete Star guide robot in DBZ movie 6. My point? I forget.

--It’s probably not a coincidence that one of the buildings in town is called “Toriya Motors”.

--The Rabbit Gang (Usagi Dan) has the same naming scheme as the various criminal “teams” from Pokemon (Rocket Dan, Plasma Dan, etc). Dan can refer to all sorts of groups or teams, or gangs when referring to these kinds of stock villains. Nintendo presumably thought “Team Rocket” sounded more family-friendly than “Rocket Gang”. On the flipside, “Team Rabbit” sounds a tad strange.

--One of the Rabbit Gang thugs introduce the group by saying that they “even make crying babies shut up”, which is a stock phrase thugs like this always use to hype up their ruthlessness in anime and whatnot. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume no actual Japanese gang member has ever said this to anybody.

--After the townspeople all flee when they hear Boss Rabbit’s coming, there’s an incredibly long pause leading into the eye-catch. I know they’re trying to emphasize the quietness of the deserted street, but it’s a bit over the top.

--The leader of the Rabbit Gang’s name is…well, this gets slightly complicated. It’s written 兎人参化, the characters for “rabbit”, “carrot”, and “change”. The idea being that he’s a rabbit who changes people into carrots. In the manga this is read as “To Ninjinka” (like most Japanese kids’ books, there’s little furigana script above the characters to indicate how they should be read). In the anime though, the 兎/rabbit character gets read as usagi rather than to, so he’s called “Usagi Ninjinka”. It’s not exactly wrong per se, since usagi and to are both possible readings of the character and either can be valid depending on context, but it goes against what the manga had established as how the guy’s name should be read.

--Anyway, the thing about “To Ninjinka/Usagi Ninjinka” is that it basically treats “To/Usagi” as if it were the guy’s surname and “Ninjinka” as his given name. So he’s Mr. Rabbit Who-Turns-People-Into-Carrots”. Or “Rabbit Carrot-Transformer” as the Funi subtitles put it. I kinda like to call him the “Carrotizer Bunny” as a joke on “Energizer Bunny” (is that guy still around?). Apparently the dub calls him “Monster Carrot”? I can understand them not wanting to bother with all the “Rabbit Carrot-Transformer” nonsense, but if I heard that a character was called “Monster Carrot” and he turned out to just be some rabbit, I’d be severely disappointed.

--In the anime, Puar turns the tables by shape-shifting into To Ninjinka and threating to turn him into a carrot. Can he really do that? Turn him into a carrot, that is. It’s eventually established that since Puar properly graduated from Shape-Shifting Kindergarten that he can take on not only the form but also the abilities of whatever he shape-shifts into. So he can turn into a magic carpet and cart Yamcha around. Contrast this with Oolong, who can turn into a motorbike but still can’t give Bulma a ride, since he’s no stronger than he was as a pig and so just collapses under her weight. But can Puar really get any power just by turning into the relevant person or thing? What happens if he shape-shifts into Vegetto?

--The joke at the end where Goku takes the Rabbit Gang to the moon is of course a reference to the “rabbit in the moon” of Asian folklore. The Japanese see the moon rabbit as making mochi, just as the Rabbit Gang start doing once on the moon. Cultural reference aside, it’s not really clear why the Rabbit Gang are doing that though. Did Goku make them as punishment? Also, you can see in the background that there are several rabbits already living on the moon.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 9)

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 pm

So, Herms, did this episode remind you of the Oolong episode? They go into a village that's being terrorized by someone.

The Usagi references caught me off-guard when I saw this episode, kept reminding me of Usagi Tsukino, from Sailor Moon.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 5-6)

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Herms wrote:--Gamera is really neat. Gamera is filled with meat. We all love you, Gamera.
Someone's getting classy like Michael Feinstein with the Gamera song.

.....Kill him, Frank. :mrgreen:

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Kid Buu wrote:So, Herms, did this episode remind you of the Oolong episode? They go into a village that's being terrorized by someone.
Yeah, though that is kind of a stock plot in general. Maybe the most interesting part of it is how there's no dragon ball or anything in town; it's just an adventure they get into along the way. I guess you could say that makes it filler (even in the manga!), but on the other hand the story arc would get a little too repetitive and predictable if every adventure they have ends up netting them a dragon ball.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Anything else notable on there? Like his height/weight? If I'm not mistaken, Yamcha's height and weight were displayed in the anime when 19 read him, so I'm wondering how many of those heights and weights the SEG got from here.
Nah, it's just his name and birthday.

As for Yamcha's height and weight, technically those first appeared in the Adventure Special (as far as I know), so the anime just got them from there.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:16 pm

That's true, but I did always enjoy Boss Rabbit as a villain due to his creative power, he reminds me of Buu a bit. And hey, at least Yamcha got to be relevant in a scenario! :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 4)

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:40 am

Herms wrote:--Oolong’s house wagon has 烏龍, the written characters for his namesake Oolong tea, written on the side. Oolong’s name itself though it always written in katakana (as ウーロン). The tea name is actually Chinese for “black dragon” (“long”=dragon, just like with Shenlong). 烏/Oo usually means “bird” (it’s used to write the “Tori” in “Toriyama”, in fact), but here means “black”; basically the meaning shifts from “bird” to “raven” to “black” in a game of free association.
Actually, they're separate kanji.

鳥 (chō / tori, 11 strokes) means "bird", while 烏 (u / karasu, 10 strokes) means "crow". They look identical apart from the extra cross-stroke in the former, and actually share the same pictographic origin, but have come to represent different pronunciations and meanings.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 am

Kid Buu wrote:The Usagi references caught me off-guard when I saw this episode, kept reminding me of Usagi Tsukino, from Sailor Moon.
Well "Tsuki no Usagi" does literally mean "Rabbit in the moon". (Though the kanji used is slightly different...) The manga even had a joke about that once where they actually go to the moon and Venus points out that "Now you literally are 'the rabbit on the moon!'"... Or something like that. Tokyopop and Kodansha translated that joke entirely differently and as I haven't seen the original I don't know which was more accurate. I just thought Tokyopop's translation was funnier.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:15 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:The Usagi references caught me off-guard when I saw this episode, kept reminding me of Usagi Tsukino, from Sailor Moon.
Well "Tsuki no Usagi" does literally mean "Rabbit in the moon". (Though the kanji used is slightly different...) The manga even had a joke about that once where they actually go to the moon and Venus points out that "Now you literally are 'the rabbit on the moon!'"... Or something like that. Tokyopop and Kodansha translated that joke entirely differently and as I haven't seen the original I don't know which was more accurate. I just thought Tokyopop's translation was funnier.
I own the Kodansha release, can you tell me what chapter that was? Or was it from short stories, which I own but haven't read?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:28 am

Kid Buu wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
I own the Kodansha release, can you tell me what chapter that was? Or was it from short stories, which I own but haven't read?
Chapter 10. Though looking again I see that I also got the character who said it wrong, but eh.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Funny how the dub calls him Monster Carrot, but the title is Boss Rabbit's Magic Touch. This applies to the old dub, too.
I wonder, how is his voice in the original? He has a mobster wannabe voice in the dub, not too deep, but not too high like the old dub.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Funny how the dub calls him Monster Carrot, but the title is Boss Rabbit's Magic Touch. This applies to the old dub, too.
I wonder, how is his voice in the original? He has a mobster wannabe voice in the dub, not too deep, but not too high like the old dub.
Blue Water dub refers to him as Grand Master Rabbit and the title is "Grand Master Rabbit's Magic Touch!" Hes portrayed as a gangster and I find it interesting how they decide to go with that route. I kinda like it though xD.

Before he slaps Bulma's hand he says "Yo sister, lay me some skin."
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm

The Spanish manga calls him Boss Rabbit.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Funny how the dub calls him Monster Carrot, but the title is Boss Rabbit's Magic Touch. This applies to the old dub, too.
"Boss rabbit" does make sense, since it's his title as leader of the Rabbit Gang, and like you said it's what he's called in the episode title (both Japanese and Funi). For years I assumed "Boss Rabbit" was his Funi dub name, so it was weird when I first saw people call him "Monster Carrot".

He's got sort of a mocking/threatening politeness thing going on in Japanese, somewhat like Freeza. Seems typical of that kind of crime boss/evil head honcho role.
SaiyaJedi wrote:Actually, they're separate kanji.

鳥 (chō / tori, 11 strokes) means "bird", while 烏 (u / karasu, 10 strokes) means "crow". They look identical apart from the extra cross-stroke in the former, and actually share the same pictographic origin, but have come to represent different pronunciations and meanings.
D'oh, that was stupid of me. Thanks! Fixed now.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:24 am

Well, not to double post, but here's episode 10:

Episode 10
The Dragon Balls are Stolen

--It’s another episode where the Japanese and Funi episode titles are the same. There’ve been a string of those lately.

--The amount of filler really seems to ramp up for this episode. I can’t get enough Pilaf, so I’m not complaining. In this episode we learn Pilaf uses robotic crows and spiders as spies. How cool is that?

--I still can’t get over how Yamcha is tailing Bulma and co. from about 10 feet behind. How can they not notice him? I do however love Yamcha’s big maniacal laugh over how he’ll soon be able to keep his cool around girls.

--Bulma calls Oolong a “brat” in this episode. Since Oolong never physically changes very much and is such a pervert, it’s easy to overlook that he’s supposed to be a kid at this point. When he first appears, he describes himself as a “piglet” and refers to Bulma as older than him when he learns she’s 16. Plus he’s supposed to have gotten his powers from a shape-shifting “kindergarten”, though it’s not clear exactly how long it’s been since he was expelled. Officially he’s 9 years old at this point in the story, per Daizenshuu 7 (though exactly what that means in Pig People terms is anyone’s guess).

--Finally, Pilaf and co. get their long-awaited dragon radar...right when it’s probably least useful, what with Bulma heading their way with her six balls. The filler even has Pilaf learn her approach via the above-mentioned robot crow, so the radar’s not even helpful there. Anyways, in the manga it’s not clear when exactly Pilaf gets his dragon radar, though the implication is that he’s had it the whole time and that it’s how he found the 1-star ball.

--Pilaf threatens to feed Mai to some crocodiles if she doesn’t finish the radar by the time he counts to 10. These crocodiles look completely bizarre, like they’re half bug or something.

--Anyone who’s played Startship Titanic should find this bit where Mai constantly distracts Pilaf so that he’ll start his countdown over from scratch very familiar.

--One highlight of the radar building filler scene is Mai describing the new girl at the local supermarket as having “breasts that go boing-boing”. The Funi subtitles render this as “large bosoms”. Somehow it’s not the same.

--The transition from all this filler to the manga scene where Mai and Shu attack Bulma et al is a little jarring. One moment Mai and Shu are inside the castle with Pilaf, the next they’re outside in position to attack. It’s not horrible by any means, but you can kind of tell that the outdoor scene didn’t originally have all that other stuff preceding it.

--Which means of course that we’ve finally reached the point where Pilaf, Shu, and Mai actually debut in the manga. While overall I like this story arc’s huge amount of Pilaf filler, I still love their manga introduction, with Mai just standing out there on that mushroom all mysterious. The anime version of the scene itself is exactly the same, but because of all the preceding filler we already know exactly who Mai is and what she’s doing there, so it ends up feeling like a very different scene.

--Possibly my favorite scene in the series so far is Goku shouting at the empty robot suit. Don’t ask me why.

--Speaking of robots, in the anime Pilaf has a framed picture of this weird boxy robot with flashlight eyes hanging on his wall. What’s that all about? He also has various space-themed pictures.

--The anime shows a room full of skeletons in Pilaf’s castle. So apparently he’s lured many people to their deaths. Unless he bought the castle from someone else and the skeletons were already there.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 10)

Post by Darknat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:49 pm

No new episodes? Even though I don't post that much, this post is among the ones I enjoy the most. I hope you continue analizing all episodes.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Pig people will rule the world some day :? And the jews will hate it. :lol:

helsinkirocks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by helsinkirocks » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:56 pm

You've inspired to me watch episode 10 of Dragon Ball purely to see this breast scene.