Is Funimation really going to call Cabba "Kyabe"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Is Funimation really going to call Cabba "Kyabe"?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The "kya" is just incidental coming from Japanese due to the way the word was adapted in Japanese. There's no reason for us to spell it or pronounce it that way "in English," just like there's no reason for us to say "Torunks" for "Trunks" or "Cellu" for "Cell".

"Cabe" is a half-step toward a full preservation of the pronunciation and pun source in our alphabet. The full-step would be "Cabba", since (again) the character's name in Japanese is literally just the first part of the Japanese version of our English word "cabbage".
Thanks for the answer. I just looked up the Japanese pronounciation of cabbage, which you obviously already know is: kyabetsu. And then DevilsCorpse posted the entire explanation below, so that also helped.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Would this be a big deal due to being DB fans looking at some things different from other series? For example, in Fairy Tail, the original Japanese has the girl cat's name as "Charle", but the dub has her name as "Carla". Even the fans of that series I know who don't watch the dub call her Carla, as does the English manga which came first.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am

Super Sonic wrote:Would this be a big deal due to being DB fans looking at some things different from other series? For example, in Fairy Tail, the original Japanese has the girl cat's name as "Charle", but the dub has her name as "Carla". Even the fans of that series I know who don't watch the dub call her Carla, as does the English manga which came first.
I can't speak for everyone, but I use "Carla" because I feel like it sounds closer to the Japanese pronunciation "Sharuru(?)" than "Charle".

I don't think Kyabe/Cabba is in the same situation, though. I think whichever spelling/pronunciation they choose will be used in both the subtitles and the dub.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:46 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:I don't think Kyabe/Cabba is in the same situation, though. I think whichever spelling/pronunciation they choose will be used in both the subtitles and the dub.
Not necessarily. We don't have a ton of new characters to go off of just yet (and most have names that work perfectly as direct romanizations, like "Tagoma"), but Simmons stuck with "Beers" as opposed to "Beerus" for the subtitle translations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Not necessarily. We don't have a ton of new characters to go off of just yet (and most have names that work perfectly as direct romanizations, like "Tagoma"), but Simmons stuck with "Beers" as opposed to "Beerus" for the subtitle translations.
I'm assuming Simmons chooses what names he uses? I could see that, then. In that case it would probably be "Kyabe" for the dub and "Cabba" for the subs.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is Funimation really going to call Cabbe "Kyabe"?

Post by simtek34 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 pm

And now, Viz is using Cabbe. NOT Kyabe or Cabba. Let's FUNi hops on the letter C train to the dub.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:36 pm

I'm actually pretty alright with "Cabbe". It's probably because it has two b's.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:38 am

Well, guys - Looks like it's actually Cabba as confirmed by a tweet I saw from Herms (https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/800144050200293376), which is the name I wanted them to go with so I'm happy.