Everyone wants to be Goku!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Everyone wants to be Goku!

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Over at AnimeNation's news page (which is now a blog for some reason...), they posted this itemabout how the Japanese magazine Oricon took a survey of which anime character people would most like to be. Goku was the #1 choice for men, the #3 choice for women, and the #1 overall choice. Kind of interesting that he would rank so high up there for women (not to mention that Nobita, the #4 choice for women, is also male, while Doreamon, the #1 choice, is a robot! Are Japanese women not all that fond of being women?...). Anyway, it's neat to see that Dragon Ball is still pretty fondly remembered and influential over in Japan.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 pm

I am confused as to how Doreamon could beat out Usagi Tsukino in this poll. :shock: And confused as to how she tied with Luffy in the women's category.

Personally I would have a blast being a sailor scout. :mrgreen: It just seems like it would be a really fun job.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:47 pm

Even I'm suprised by the poll results. But Dragonball is still a force in Japan, even 13 years after the manga ended.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:36 am

In terms of the most loved/popular character - in Japan it's Goku while elsewhere it's Vegeta, it seems. outside Japan,, i also noticed Gohan is more loved than Goku.
Just Saiyan...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:59 am

Chuquita wrote:I am confused as to how Doreamon could beat out Usagi Tsukino in this poll. :shock:
It's actually not that suprising when you consider the fact that Doraemon is practically an institution in Japan akin to Mickey Mouse in America. It's the longest running anime series ever along with Sazae-san. A show that the average public watches, not just a small sect of anime fans. We're talking grandparents, parents, kids.

Besides, who wouldn't want to be a robot cat that can time travel? :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:34 am

goku is awesome, i think the real question is who wouldn't want to be him

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:28 am

You said it Chuquita. Being a sailor scout would be awesome...and I'm a dude myself. :P