Toriyama hates GT!!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Toriyama hates GT!!!

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 am

When I found this I just HAD to put it up...
Most people seem to think of GT as the official continuation to Dragon Ball, and in some ways it is.

But in other ways it has been COMPLETELY DISREGARDED BY TORIYAMA
Recently, Toriyama and his studio have begun developing Dragon Ball Online, an MMORPG follow-up to the Dragon Ball manga, with Bandai Namco Games and NTL for release in South Korea and Japan. The game will act as a direct sequel to the manga,

It is worth noting that Dragon Ball Online ignores the events of Dragon Ball GT, and even appears to contradict some aspects of the anime (for example, the Yardratians, who did not appear in the manga, look completely different in DBO and the Dragon Ball Z anime). Due to the high level of supervision from Akira Toriyama, as well as the involvement of Bird Studio and Shueisha, DBO may actually be considered a more accurate continuation of the Dragon Ball manga.
Eat that GT!!!
Wow, unreal, my gosh....This is amazing! I feel incredible! Yes Yes Yes Yes! I can win, I feel great, I can do this eyah!
-Piccolo, the Super Namek

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Toriyama hates GT!!!

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:23 am

Absolutely nowhere in there does it state "Toriyama hates DBGT". Furthermore, you may wish to review some of the material presented in this thread.

Anyone else want to tackle this?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:32 am

Uhh...is this article actually suggesting that an MMORPG of Dragon Ball could be considered cannon? If so, I sense a major influx of ridiculous conversation taking place when DB Online is released...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:38 am

Hm.

Y'know, I never considered GT to be cannon in the first place. I always thought Toriyama's idea about a manga starring Mr. Buu and Mr. Satan would be much more entertaining.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:55 am

USSJed wrote:Eat that GT!!!
Too bad it dosen't actually say Akira hates it. He helped on some designs for GT, so I don't think he hates it, it's just that it wasn't good because of a lot of reasons.

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 am

Canon is whatever Toriyama says is Canon. If he suddenly said Tien was a Saiyan, then Tien is a Saiyan. DBOnline's story is written by Toriyama himself, he has artistic control of the project. Which is already more than I can say for GT. The way I see it, what Toriyama says, goes. And people arguing with that doesn't make any sense to me.

And come on people, GT is completely ignored! I think we should follow their example!
Wow, unreal, my gosh....This is amazing! I feel incredible! Yes Yes Yes Yes! I can win, I feel great, I can do this eyah!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 am

Japan is an ultra-polite society. If you do something like walk into someone's home with muddy shoes they may not complain about you to your face but they will never invite you and will say mean things about you behind your back.

Even in Toriyama did hate GT I doubt it's something he'd ever publicly admit and anyone close enough to him to know his real thoughts would probably only do so anonymously and posthumously after Toriyama meets King Yama. (or however you spell his name)

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 am

USSJed wrote:When I found this I just HAD to put it up...
Most people seem to think of GT as the official continuation to Dragon Ball, and in some ways it is.

But in other ways it has been COMPLETELY DISREGARDED BY TORIYAMA
Recently, Toriyama and his studio have begun developing Dragon Ball Online, an MMORPG follow-up to the Dragon Ball manga, with Bandai Namco Games and NTL for release in South Korea and Japan. The game will act as a direct sequel to the manga,

It is worth noting that Dragon Ball Online ignores the events of Dragon Ball GT, and even appears to contradict some aspects of the anime (for example, the Yardratians, who did not appear in the manga, look completely different in DBO and the Dragon Ball Z anime). Due to the high level of supervision from Akira Toriyama, as well as the involvement of Bird Studio and Shueisha, DBO may actually be considered a more accurate continuation of the Dragon Ball manga.
Eat that GT!!!
Linked thread in EX's post above wrote:Interviewer: So, you recommend GT, then!

Akira Toriyama: Yes! I recommend it. As an ordinary audience member, I'm looking forward to it.
Hmm... You know, I seriously doubt someone who "hates" something would recommend it so strongly.

And, just for the record, the GT bashing you keep doing, Jed? It's getting a bit old. You hated GT. We get the picture. No need to drive the point home so many times.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 am

USSJed wrote:Canon is whatever Toriyama says is Canon.
Toriyama has never said anything is or isn't canon. Canon is a fan concept.

Where is the quote in the initial post from, by the way?
GS7X7 wrote:King Yama. (or however you spell his name)
There are a couple of different ways, since he's part of the culture of many widespread regions.

edit: Might as well give a link to this old thread, which has a translation of Toriyama's comments from Dragon Box GT. Mike linked to it in the SSJ4 thread that he linked to above, but I figured another one couldn't hurt.
Last edited by Herms on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 am

Herms wrote:
USSJed wrote:Canon is whatever Toriyama says is Canon.
Toriyama has never said anything is or isn't canon. Canon is a fan concept.

Where is the quote in the initial post from, by the way?
That would be the DBO article on Wikipedia.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:38 am

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:
Linked thread in EX's post above wrote:Interviewer: So, you recommend GT, then!

Akira Toriyama: Yes! I recommend it. As an ordinary audience member, I'm looking forward to it.
Now, I'm a little confused as to the ordinary audience member part, but it lookes(in the bold) like he hadn't seen it yet in this interview. But once again, as an oridinary audience member probably means he saw it before hand, in some secret showing.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 am

What was that about a manga starring Hercule and Mr Buu?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 am

Why'd he make some of the character designs, if he hated DBGT?

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:53 am

Well the thread title was more just to interest people and make them read it. If I knew how I would change the name to "Does Toriyama Hate GT??"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:02 am

USSJed wrote:What was that about a manga starring Mr. Satan and Mr Buu?
Throughout Daizenshuu 4 is a series of one or two page pieces called "Akira Toriyama's Best", which consist of Toriyama being asked about his favorite things from the series and stuff like that. In the character section, he's asked who he would make the protagonist if he were to do another Dragon Ball, and he said that he'd like to do a gag manga starring Mister Satan and Buu. I posted my own translation of all the whole thing back here.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:15 am

Wow, as a bonus that also answered another thing I've heard about: That Android 19 and 20 were originally the bad guys for the android saga, but everyone hated them so they were killed off...Funnily enough, Second Form Cell is one of my favourite villains as well!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:41 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 am

Sorry to steal VegettoEX's post, but this is one that I found interesting.
Interviewer: Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule today to...

Akira Toriyama: No, no, I'm not busy at all. The Dragon Ball Daizenshuu work is just writing a single paragraph, so I'm really not busy at all. (laughter)

Interviewer: In that case, you must be quite well-rested.

Akira Toriyama: Yes, well, I do go to sleep after I see my son off to school every morning. Right now, I'm putting up a new workplace, so, I end up staying up all night working out the plans. I'm pulling more all-nighters now than when I had a weekly serial. (laughter)

Interviewer: Now, with regards to the new anime series, Dragon Ball GT, just how involved are you with it?

Akira Toriyama: I'm only involved with it a little bit. I check the story that gets sent from Toei Animation, and give them some advice. Also, I drew some character illustrations for them. But it's fun! It feels kind of like, 'Ah, so they had this kind of skill'. Everyone at Toei Animation has really wracked their brains, haven't they. I appreciate their hard work. To think they'd make Goku little. With this story, the manga might be able to continue in serialization... but I really have absolutely no desire to draw it. (laughter)

Interviewer: So, you recommend GT, then!

...Ah, come to think of it, It looks like I'll be getting a Macintosh [pub. note: a computer made by Apple] from someone!

Masakazu Katsura: Eh, What are you talking about?
(At this point, Masakazu Katsura butts in)
As we can obviously see, Akira Toriyama absolutely loathed GT.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:21 am

Toriyama seems like a character straight out of Dr.Slump (which is understandable seeing as he wrote it n' all.) I love seeing interviews where he speaks, especially when he does a comic relief and straight man duo with somebody. Anyway as you can see Toriyama didn’t mind GT. I can’t really say anything Kunzait didn’t, he covered everything very well.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

I won't play Dragon Ball Online. Truth be told, I hate those types of games. I hate Warcraft, I hate Starcraft, I hate Diablo. I hate those games. Namely because people that play them get so stupid and worked up over a silly little video game. People that play that crap for hours and hours on in make me feel like I want to puke just thinking about it. "Oh my god I'm level 99!!! And it only took me 3 straight months to do it!" Playing the same game for months and months is really tiring to me.

I wouldn't play it because it will probably be monthly payment, so to me it's not worth it (I don't know much about the game, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry). And I don't want to deal with little bitches online. "HEY! You took three Zeni from me! I'll trade you for a Kame Symbol!"