Woohoo! More News About The New Dragonball Special!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Xyex wrote:I think that was one of his original thoughts for how to end the manga after Buu. Like, have the last panel be old Goku training up the next generation. I'd have loved that.
Old Goku was one of his ideas for how to end the manga, but one he had sometime around 1989 or earlier, so way before Buu. The picture of old Goku and Toriyama's explanation of it appeared in a short comic he drew explaining his connection to the anime, which appeared in the first DragonBall Z Animation Special (the same thing that "In the Name of Piccolo Daimao" appeared in), published in 1989. It was later reprinted in Daizenshuu 7, as part of the Rare Illustrations section.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:50 am

Big Momma wrote:I'd really like a story where all the bad guys come back from hell, and start beating the crap out of everyone. After this, Vegeta will come in, but will sadly be utterly defeated.Then, Goku gets a splurge of energy at the last second, and destroys the enemy with a super new move that he'll never use again! :P
Are you describing the Super 17 saga ? :?
backthen wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:It'll probably just be standard DBZ animation.
That would be kinda stupid, That animation is old technology, like 10 years plus.. I hope they don't do that. :(
They just can't. They switched to digital permanently in 2002.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:18 am

Wow, I really hope this is not connected to DBO. Please, NO!
I would love to see old goku or another tournement.

I really hope this is not a 40-minute special. Man why doesn't Akira Toriyama
make so much more. He knows everybody loves Dragonball!!!

But I think I know, why Akira Toriyama doesn't show off to much about Dragonball. It's because he knows that it's the anime wich made it insanely popular and not the manga. It's the hard work of the animators and not the manga. He's just the mastermind behind it.

So actually we should say, why doesn't Toei make something new. We know they can. Gt was cool, only poor story. So let them think up something.

Grrrr, I want more Dragonball stuff.

By the way, does anyone know if this special is going to be released on DVD, if it is. Also in the US?Wtih a dub(Funimation)?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:03 am

shotkeeper wrote: By the way, does anyone know if this special is going to be released on DVD, if it is. Also in the US?Wtih a dub(Funimation)?
It's way to early to know.

For all we know the special could be five minutes long, not to mention it's not uncommon for these types of things to never see the light of day after they're screened for the first time.

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:37 pm

No more DUB please, they kill classics!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Toriyama Boss wrote:No more DUB please, they kill classics!
They also release things in the US!(In both languages) God forbid that happens!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I wish they'd tell us more about what this is. The wait is killing me.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:32 pm

For all we know they could do what Beavis and Butt-head did saying they were coming back for a special, but then it was just a infomercial. But a new animated special would be a lot better.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:26 pm

shotkeeper wrote:By the way, does anyone know if this special is going to be released on DVD, if it is. Also in the US?Wtih a dub(Funimation)?
I hope it does get released in America, just for the sake of being able to see it in Japanese with English subs.

Our best bet of getting that to happen is if we e-mail Funimation and (in a civilized manner) request that they acquire the rights to releasing the special on DVD, that way they know that we are interested in getting it, even this early.

support@funimation.com

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:20 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: Our best bet of getting that to happen is if we e-mail Funimation and (in a civilized manner) request that they acquire the rights to releasing the special on DVD, that way they know that we are interested in getting it, even this early.

support@funimation.com
Jumping the gun much?

We know absolutely nothing about it at this stage, besides, Funimation get what they're given from Toei, and for all we know they could have no intentions of releasing it commercially.

Cool your jets cowboy.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 am

Yeah, when we find out more about what it is, then we can start our petitions and e-mail crusades. But it may just be some five-minute, "Hey, it's me, Goku. What're you guys doin'? Well, seeya in twenty years." And that I can be satisfied with on fansub.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:18 am

If they are calling it a special. It can't be shorter than thirty minates. In that case I'm sure Funimation has already bought the rights to it and sacrificed the goats needed to get nw Dragonball animation.

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 am

FORGET FUNIMATION, THEY NEED TO GO BY VOICE ACTORS AND SOUND EFFECTS!

Seriously, they just screwed anything Dragonball related up.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 am

I just want to know what its about, and if Vegeta will be in it. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 am

Shin Moonwalker wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I'd really like a story where all the bad guys come back from hell, and start beating the crap out of everyone. After this, Vegeta will come in, but will sadly be utterly defeated.Then, Goku gets a splurge of energy at the last second, and destroys the enemy with a super new move that he'll never use again! :P
Are you describing the Super 17 saga ? :?
No, I was just jokingly describing the typical filler/fanfic storyline.

But now that you mention it...holy crap, I did summarize the S17 arc! :shock:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:52 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: Our best bet of getting that to happen is if we e-mail Funimation and (in a civilized manner) request that they acquire the rights to releasing the special on DVD, that way they know that we are interested in getting it, even this early.

support@funimation.com
Jumping the gun much?

We know absolutely nothing about it at this stage, besides, Funimation get what they're given from Toei, and for all we know they could have no intentions of releasing it commercially.

Cool your jets cowboy.
We're talking about FUNimation, would they ever let a new commercial opportunity to slip away? I highly doubt so.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:19 am

sangofe wrote: We're talking about FUNimation, would they ever let a new commercial opportunity to slip away? I highly doubt so.
I was referring to Toei.

As I said before, FUNimation gets what they're given from Toei.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:40 am

Funimation offers Toei big bag of money and Toei accepts and hands over special. That is how these things always go.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:10 pm

I find it amazing how you guys "know" how things go between Toei and Funimation.
Here's an idea, wait and see how it goes. Like some people around here say, we don't even know what it is so, just wait and see.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:26 pm

DNA wrote:I find it amazing how you guys "know" how things go between Toei and Funimation.
Here's an idea, wait and see how it goes. Like some people around here say, we don't even know what it is so, just wait and see.
I'll gurrantee you my scenerio is the correct one.