What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:59 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 am

Kid Trunks wrote:
Scarz wrote:Most recent purchase? Dragonball H doujinshi by Rehabilitation, it 126pg long. No regrets, only deep seeded shame.
I just did a Google search on "Dragonball H"...now I see why your ashamed lol.
I'm ashamed that he paid for something so terrible.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Oh that… now that I certainly have often noticed and poked fun at. :P

See the thing with that is… there’s a lot, and I mean a LOT of anime out there, not just Dragon Ball, that are guilty of that very same logistical glitch. Ever see an anime that takes place in any sort of foreign/non-Japanese country?
I know, I know...I'm a big fan of Noir, another one of those globe-trotting anime with the same problem, and I also like Tenchi Muyo, which has the problem on a galactic scale. But with DragonBall and Namekian, it's a bit different. If everyone spoke the same language all the time, I'd be fine with it, because like you said that's a common bit of illogic that can be ignored. I just have a problem with the fact that everyone speaks the same language except one group of people, who only themselves do it off and on. With all those examples you gave, wouldn't it bug you little if there was just one, and only one, character or group of characters who spoke their own language? Like with Genma Taisen, what if the people from India, Nevada, New York, and China all spoke perfect Japanese all the time, but the Romanians were shown speaking Romanian? And what if the Romanians had some computer or something, and you had to enter commands in Romanian, but the computer itself displayed messages in Japanese? It's not the fact that it's unrealistic that gets me, so much as that it's internally inconsistent. It's like the movie adaptation of the Broadway version of Phantom of the Opera: I don't mind that it's set in France but has everyone speaking perfect English, but why the hell does that one music teacher lady have a French accent?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 pm

My most recent purchase was the Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan DVD that I got from a used movie place for $4.00!
It was my first time seeing to movie uncut as before I only had the edited VHS tape. I must say, I enjoyed the movie a lot better raw.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Hero 004 wrote:My most recent purchase was the Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan DVD that I got from a used movie place for $4.00!
It was my first time seeing to movie uncut as before I only had the edited VHS tape. I must say, I enjoyed the movie a lot better raw.

That's understandable, no one (in their right mind) would want to listen to Disturbed or any other shit-band that sounds like them while watching Dragon Ball.
Trans rights, now!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't think Legendary Super Saiyan was one of the movies they experimented with that in. If I remember correctly it was Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge that had the disturbed music.

And I must not be in my right mind because on very rare occasions, and I do stress the word rare, I actually enjoyed the different music in the background.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
Hero 004 wrote:My most recent purchase was the Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan DVD that I got from a used movie place for $4.00!

That's understandable, no one (in their right mind) would want to listen to Disturbed or any other shit-band that sounds like them while watching Dragon Ball.
I actually didn't mind the rock music in that movie. It's the only animated piece of DB that that is an exception to me. Maybe it's Broly's personality.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:51 pm

Alright, so maybe it's a bit unfair of me to say, but I just can't seem to get into it. It's just like...they're trying to make Dragon Ball all "RAAAH HARDCORE!!!" to appeal to the masses, and that's just not how I view it I guess. I mean, sure, some of the fights are pretty crazy, but this isn't the WWF or E, or whatever it is these days.
Trans rights, now!

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 pm

SonEric84 wrote:Alright, so maybe it's a bit unfair of me to say, but I just can't seem to get into it. It's just like...they're trying to make Dragon Ball all "RAAAH HARDCORE!!!" to appeal to the masses, and that's just not how I view it I guess. I mean, sure, some of the fights are pretty crazy, but this isn't the WWF or E, or whatever it is these days.
I've never understood that comparison. I hated wrestling, I thought it was really dumb. I never saw dubbed DBZ in that fashion.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:56 pm

SonEric84 wrote:Alright, so maybe it's a bit unfair of me to say, but I just can't seem to get into it. It's just like...they're trying to make Dragon Ball all "RAAAH HARDCORE!!!" to appeal to the masses, and that's just not how I view it I guess. I mean, sure, some of the fights are pretty crazy, but this isn't the WWF or E, or whatever it is these days.
LOL yeah I get what your saying there with the whole WWF ( or is it E? I never watched that garbage anyway ) feel you might get from the music, but they didn't have it constantly throughout the whole movie so it was really cool to me when they had the song start during a Goku "badass" scene.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:59 pm

I just meant the BGM choice (I've never really made the wrestling comparison in reference to characters or VAs), since they tend to use that kind of stuff...plus I think in America we have a different mindset where if there's a crazy battle going on you have to have some kind of hard rock music to properly portray it (as seen in various movie trailers, battles, etc.) With the original DB though, there are fight scenes with more upbeat, even happy sounding themes. I don't know why they feel the need to change that, but whatever I guess. I've never really felt like the original BGM didn't fit the mood.
Trans rights, now!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I've never really felt like the original BGM didn't fit the mood.
That's the exact opposite way I feel when I hear the original BGM sometimes. Then again, sometimes I think it's perfect so it's hit or miss with me.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Personally, I'll take the "thiz iz extreeeeeeeme!" ( which was a funny description by the way ) power up scene any day over the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" thing they do in the Japanese.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Personally, I'll take the "thiz iz extreeeeeeeme!" ( which was a funny description by the way ) power up scene any day over the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" thing they do in the Japanese.
I agree. However. I think the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" makes more sense to me, given that whenever the characters make that sound they're trying to tense up their muscles and increase them right? Well, when I try to tense up my muscles, and do the "AAAHHHHH" sound that the Funi voices do, my muscles automatically start to relax a bit. So its kind of counter productive. Whereas the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" sound doesn't relax my mucles, and it actually comes more natural...just what I think though.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Faulconer's music just makes me feel like I'm at a really bad rave. I half expect the characters to bust out with glow sticks sooner than start throwing punches. I never really considered glorified trance to embody the “hardcore-ness” of a grueling fight, so to me it fits even less than “real” hard rock would (which is to say, not at all).

Closest comparison to wrestling I can draw from it would be the kind of generic, forgettable drek they usually play during a wrestler's "titantron" intro.

Well, I was talking about their usage of bands for BGM in the movies. I know what you're saying about Faulconer's stuff though.
Trans rights, now!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Whereas the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" sound doesn't relax my mucles, and it actually comes more natural...just what I think though.
"Kuh-kuh-kuh" is more like the sound I make when having to hawk some mucus out.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:43 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Whereas the "Kuh-kuh-kuh" sound doesn't relax my mucles, and it actually comes more natural...just what I think though.
"Kuh-kuh-kuh" is more like the sound I make when having to hawk some mucus out.
How would you accurately put these sounds into text?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ