Where Did the Name "Arlia" Come From?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Where Did the Name "Arlia" Come From?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Having just watched the episode, it doesn't seem to appear anywhere within the dialogue itself. Vegeta just refers to it as "a planet." I was beginning to think it was just a dubism, but the Dragon Book in the FUNi Box refers to it as Arlia, so... really, where did it come from?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:29 pm

The episode dubwise is "Trouble on Arlia", I think.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah, I did know that. Thank you, though. I know it is used in the dub, but I can't find it being used anywhere in the original version outside of the translation used for the Dragon Book.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:58 pm

I think it comes from the japanese word for 'ant' ("ari"?), but... I'm not entirely sure where I heard that. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Hmmm...the name is used in the daizenshuu (a direct romanization would be "Aria"), so it's not a dubism. There are a number of characters and other things only named in episode credits and guidebooks but not in the episode dialog itself, so maybe this is a case of that? For instance, the planet which Kid Boo blows up in filler is called "Planet Alpha" in the daizenshuu, but isn't named anywhere in the actual episode.
caejones wrote:I think it comes from the japanese word for 'ant' ("ari"?), but... I'm not entirely sure where I heard that. :?
"Ari" is the Japanese word for ant, but I'm not aware of any official explanation for Planet Aria's name pun. The people of Aria look more like grasshoppers than ants though.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:19 pm

It's always been "Arlia". It's in the original Japanese version of the episode named as such, isn't it? Here are a couple scans from daizenshuu 2 and 7, respectively, where you can clearly see アーリア aaria ("Arlia") spelled out:

Image Image

For the life of me, I actually can't remember what the name pun basis is for the aliens. The named characters are King Moai, Remuria, Atora, and Iedi (was that one just "Yeti"...?). Here are the character profiles from Son Gokuu Densetsu:

"Bug" or "insect" would be something like konchuu or mushi, so it's not entirely direct in that way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:12 am

Lemuria and Atlantis... and the Moai are the Easter Island statues.

Seems to be based of mysterious civilizations.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 am

Adamant wrote:Lemuria and Atlantis... and the Moai are the Easter Island statues.

Makes sense. I saw that "Moai" referred to the statues, but I didn't see anything else on the surface beyond that (and "moai" could have just been anything Japanese flipped around and re-punned) so I couldn't draw the connection. Nice stuff.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the scans, Mike, and for the info, everyone else. Now I'm sure that Arlia is not a dubism. I wouldn't have thought they would have put it in the Dragon Book if it had been, but I just wanted to make sure.

To return the favor, though, no, Mike, the word "Arlia" is not in the title. Like has been pointed out, the dub title was "Trouble on Arlia," but the Japanese title was, "The Saiya-jin, Mightiest Warriors in the Universe, Awaken," one of the few Z-era titles not in two sentences!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:To return the favor, though, no, Mike, the word "Arlia" is not in the title. Like has been pointed out, the dub title was "Trouble on Arlia," but the Japanese title was, "The Saiya-jin, Mightiest Warriors in the Universe, Awaken," one of the few Z-era titles not in two sentences!
Oh, I knew that. I meant that the characters verbally spoke aloud the name of the planet during the episode.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:To return the favor, though, no, Mike, the word "Arlia" is not in the title. Like has been pointed out, the dub title was "Trouble on Arlia," but the Japanese title was, "The Saiya-jin, Mightiest Warriors in the Universe, Awaken," one of the few Z-era titles not in two sentences!
Oh, I knew that. I meant that the characters verbally spoke aloud the name of the planet during the episode.
Oh, whoops. I just reread your earlier post, and, yeah, I guess I just misread it. But, no, I don't think that it's ever referred to by name in the episode itself (which is what prompted me to ask). I just watched it a couple of days ago, and all I remember it being referred to as "this planet," like Vegeta saying, "I thought we'd stop off at this planet," and Atla saying, "Peace will now return to this planet." Of course, if I'm wrong about that, please feel free to correct me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Oh, whoops. I just reread your earlier post, and, yeah, I guess I just misread it. But, no, I don't think that it's ever referred to by name in the episode itself (which is what prompted me to ask). I just watched it a couple of days ago, and all I remember it being referred to as "this planet," like Vegeta saying, "I thought we'd stop off at this planet," and Atla saying, "Peace will now return to this planet." Of course, if I'm wrong about that, please feel free to correct me.
I haven't watched it in ages, myself, and was too lazy to pop in the episode before spluring with all the scans :P. It very well may be that they did not address the planet by name in the dialogue. Those early episodes in the original dub were weird -- we'd have instances like this where they keep the planet name correct, Goku blurts out "Kamesennin style of martial arts"... and then the rest of it is gobbly-gook censored nonsense.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Is the name "Arlia" perhaps referenced in the last episode recap in the next episode, rather than the episode itself?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:33 am

It's also possible that the name was written somewhere in the script FUNimation had for the episode, unless the kind of scripts they had were dialogue-only.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re:

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Adamant wrote:Lemuria and Atlantis... and the Moai are the Easter Island statues.

Makes sense. I saw that "Moai" referred to the statues, but I didn't see anything else on the surface beyond that (and "moai" could have just been anything Japanese flipped around and re-punned) so I couldn't draw the connection. Nice stuff.
I wonder if they're related to Atragon. Atora be a pun on the title, while Lemuria being a pun on the Empire of Mu (MANY believe Lemuria and Mu are different names for the same sunken continent). Meanwhile, the screenwriter for the Atragon movies went on to write a lot of Gozilla and Ultraman stuff.

But yeah, they're probably all related to Lost Lands. Moai = Easter Island. Was once believed that the rock quarry they were made in came from a sunken continent off Easter Island's shore. Lemuria = Lemuria, Atora = ATLAntis, and Iedi = Yeti, the guardians of Shangri-La.

EDIT: Sorry for the necro. For some reason it and some month-old threads are being listed as new for me.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.