A question concerning the Mafuba

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

A question concerning the Mafuba

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Why do you think that the Mafuba wasn't used on any villains after Ma Junior?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

bkev
I Live Here

Re: A question concerning the Mafuba

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:46 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Why do you think that the Mafuba wasn't used on any villains after Ma Junior?
Because if he could dodge it, then surely the newer, stronger ones could.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm

- Not everyone knew how to use it

- It was a fatal or a near fatal technique for the user

- It could be reversed/resisted like Ma junior showed us.

And it would be boring using it again, story-wise.
Last edited by rereboy on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm

It kills you.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I would say that, based on its name, it could only seal away demons, but since it worked on Kami-sama...

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Rocketman wrote:It kills you.
Well, Tenshinhan kinda did that without the Mafuba :D
Because if he could dodge it, then surely the newer, stronger ones could.
Well, if the Kamehameha gets better as the user does, I would assume the same for everyone else, so I think this is bunk.
- It could be reversed/resisted like Ma junior showed us.
Ma Junior had prior knowledge of it and time to develop a counter, which no one else did (except Cell).
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm not sure about Japanese 'ki', but Chinese 'qi' seems to facilitate distinguishing "positive" and "negative"...
Daimao was purely evil, by the nature of his creation. Mutaito was the sort of master who would be able to use that against him.

I'm not entirely convinced that T'en's version of the Mafuuba would have worked... Meh... it probably would have. XD.

But yeah. I'd say it only works on demons. Sure, it worked on Kami, but I think that was a rather special case, what with Piccolo taking control of it.

I think it would have worked on Buu, though, if Buu didn't get out of it before it was too late. T'en couldn't have grabbed a Denshijar on the way out... grumble...
... Unless Buu specifically targeted Ricecookers in his genocide attack. :P
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 pm

caejones wrote:T'en couldn't have grabbed a Denshijar on the way out... grumble...
No, because that would've left his buttbuddy all alone.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 am

There was a GBA game where Piccolo used the Mafûba on Boo.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:26 am

Puto wrote:There was a GBA game where Piccolo used the Mafûba on Boo.
That was the first Super Sonic Warriors game.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:05 am

Herms wrote:
Puto wrote:There was a GBA game where Piccolo used the Mafûba on Boo.
That was the first Super Sonic Warriors game.
Never played that one... what happened when he used it against him?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:38 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Never played that one... what happened when he used it against him?
He didn't die, but he did throw the container into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Then Gotenks burst in from another universe and released Buu.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, when you think about it, there was no one strong enough to kill Piccolo before Goku came along, hence why the Mafuba was the only way to take him down. Goku basically proved that, with enough training and determination, you can overcome any villain.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Lance Freeman wrote:Well, when you think about it, there was no one strong enough to kill Piccolo before Goku came along, hence why the Mafuba was the only way to take him down. Goku basically proved that, with enough training and determination, you can overcome any villain.
With the Saiya-jin portion of the cast, I can see that explanation working fairly well, but with everyone else..... well, let's just say I don't understand why Ten used the Kikoho instead of the Mafuba on Nappa and Vegeta. I don't buy the Mazoku argument because of the aforementioned Kami conundrum. Therefore, wouldn't the Mafuba have a better chance of success against Nappa than Kikoho, while still making you wind up just as dead?

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:36 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Lance Freeman wrote:Well, when you think about it, there was no one strong enough to kill Piccolo before Goku came along, hence why the Mafuba was the only way to take him down. Goku basically proved that, with enough training and determination, you can overcome any villain.
With the Saiya-jin portion of the cast, I can see that explanation working fairly well, but with everyone else..... well, let's just say I don't understand why Ten used the Kikoho instead of the Mafuba on Nappa and Vegeta. I don't buy the Mazoku argument because of the aforementioned Kami conundrum. Therefore, wouldn't the Mafuba have a better chance of success against Nappa than Kikoho, while still making you wind up just as dead?
Maybe because there's Nappa AND Vegeta. Vegeta acts big, but he did warn Nappa to avoid Kuririn's Kienzan so it's possible if Tenshinhan tried to Mafuba (I have declared it to be a verb now) Nappa he would have got involved.

If Vegeta was at risk, I'm 100% Nappa would have got involved too. What would happen if you were Mafubaing and someone whacked you in the head with a fist? I assume the attack would fail and Tenshinhan would die or collapse or something.

Two on one is really not the place to break out your vital concentration high fail rate instant death attack.

(Yes, the other humans and Piccolo are there too but lol at them being able to stop either Nappa or Vegeta from interfering)
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Its been a while since I've read this part of the manga, but I don't recall it flat out killing the user. I thought it took a certain amount of energy to use, and if you didn't have enough it would kill you. Kind of like what Roshi said when Tien first used the Tri-beam/Kikoho (sorry if thats not the technique he was using at the time but like I said its been a while).
Proud to be a S<3NE.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm

verto wrote:Its been a while since I've read this part of the manga, but I don't recall it flat out killing the user. I thought it took a certain amount of energy to use, and if you didn't have enough it would kill you. Kind of like what Roshi said when Tenshinhan first used the Tri-beam/Kikoho (sorry if thats not the technique he was using at the time but like I said its been a while).
No. It is stated to flat out kill the user.

However, Kami seemed to be able to perform the technique without dying. Maybe he perfected it.

(Tenshinhan never got to use the technique in the manga)

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:42 pm

For Tien, I meant the first time he used Tri-beam or whatever it was he used at the tournament, not the Mafuba.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:53 pm

I know, I was talking about Tenshinhan using the Mafuba.

He used the Kikoho at the tournament, but the kikoho was stated to be overpowered and dangerous for the user, not fatal. It could be deadly but not necessarily.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm

rereboy wrote:I know, I was talking about Tenshinhan using the Mafuba.

He used the Kikoho at the tournament, but the kikoho was stated to be overpowered and dangerous for the user, not fatal. It could be deadly but not necessarily.
Oh, shit. Sorry about that. I only reread the 23rd Budokai, but not Piccolo Daimao, and was only thinking about the anime when talking about Tenshinhan.

Still, Tenshinhan trained on the Lookout, so Kami COULD have taught him how to do a Mafuba without dying. That is IF it has anything to do with the user's ability, rather than their lifespan.