Piccolo Daimao's Chant

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kiyza
Regular

Piccolo Daimao's Chant

Post by Kiyza » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 pm

...Involves a racial slur? I believe there was brief mention of it on the site's podcast by Julian once, but I forgot about it until today. Apparently, one of the seemingly nonsensical words he was using, "pocopen," is a derrogatory term that was used to describe China at one point, and it's apparently not allowed to be used on television.

So, was Toriyama just making up words, or is this perhaps in there on purpose? And further more, was it actually used in the anime broadcast? I haven't actually seen this portion of the series in anime form.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Piccolo Daimao's Chant

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Daimao wrote:It comes from a game where one child is chosen to be "it," and turns his back to the other children playing. The others then chant "Chinaman, Chinaman, who's poking you?" as they come up and jab him in the back. Depending on the style being played, "it" then has to guess who was the first or last to poke him. If "it" is right, that person then becomes "it."

"Pokopen" is apparently derived from the Chinese "Bu kuang ben" (不囈本), meaning "prohibited" or "taboo." It's an ethnic slur, so be advised.
I have no real answers to your questions, just extra background info till Herms or someone more qualified than me gets here. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Well, Daimao pretty much covers it, as you'd expect. I guess just to clarify, Piccolo's birthing chant is "Pokopen pokopen...Daare ga tsutsuita, pokopen. Pokopen, pokopen. Daare ga tsutsuita". As said, this essentially translates to "Chinaman, chinaman...Whoo's been poking you, chinaman? Chinaman, chinaman, whoo's been poking you?" In the manga though, the chant is written entirely in katakana, unlike a mix of hiragana, kanji, and katakana like it generally would be. Apparently, drawing out the 'dare' ('who') into 'daare' is part of the usual chant, or at least that's what I gather from Japanese Wikipedia.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 pm

As a brief aside the Sargent Frog manga had planet Earth be deemed Pokopen, this was changed in the anime. Is this kind of thing just old Japanese men remembering the game from their youth and not really realizing it was derived from something derogatory?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Blue wrote:As a brief aside the Sargent Frog manga had planet Earth be deemed Pokopen, this was changed in the anime. Is this kind of thing just old Japanese men remembering the game from their youth and not really realizing it was derived from something derogatory?
That's exactly how I found out about this. For some reason, I'm pretty sure the term is banned from TV. Did this apply when Dragon Ball was airing?

Also, thanks Herms! ^^