Is Masako Nozawa the only one to voice Goku in Japan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Is Masako Nozawa the only one to voice Goku in Japan?

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:05 am

Goku appears in such a huge variety of media, so my question is, has there ever been a commercial or scene of anything that someone else was used for.

I'm only going on animation and games here. I'm not counting Dragonball Evolution. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Re: Is Masako Nozawa the only one to voice Goku in Japan?

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:35 am

As far as I can tell, Ms. Nozawa has been the only one to play Goku. In every episode he's in, every movie; Although not the Z specials, in one he's dead, in the other, he's a baby.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:06 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Although not the Z specials, in one he's dead, in the other, he's a baby.
Don't we hear baby Goku cry in the Bardock special?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

mrzisawesome

Post by mrzisawesome » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am

Nope, I can't imagine them using a Goku replacement.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

Herms wrote:
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Although not the Z specials, in one he's dead, in the other, he's a baby.
Don't we hear baby Goku cry in the Bardock special?
Yup, we get to hear an irritating Nozawa cry in the Bardock special.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:08 pm

mrzisawesome wrote:Nope, I can't imagine them using a Goku replacement.
Nozawa has a very distinct voice. A replacement would be hard to find.
(Hmm...Rica Matsumoto...Romi Park...I wonder...)
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Hmm... Although if there ever had to be a replacement for Nozawa, it'd certainly be difficult to actually pick someone, I actually could perhaps see Rica Matsumoto or Romi Park working. Particularly Matsumoto, as I could see something in the vein of Satoshi (Ash) from Pocket Monsters working.

While I don't believe anyone other than Nozawa has ever officially portrayed Dragon Ball's Son Goku (Other than Kappei Yamaguchi in Evolution), I know that Luffy was portrayed by Urara Takano in an OVA about a year before the actual One Piece anime started. (With Wataru Takagi as Zoro and Megumi Toyoguchi as Nami.)

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Hmm... Although if there ever had to be a replacement for Nozawa, it'd certainly be difficult to actually pick someone, I actually could perhaps see Rica Matsumoto or Romi Park working. Particularly Matsumoto, as I could see something in the vein of Satoshi (Ash) from Pocket Monsters working.

While I don't believe anyone other than Nozawa has ever officially portrayed Dragon Ball's Son Goku (Other than Kappei Yamaguchi in Evolution), I know that Luffy was portrayed by Urara Takano in an OVA about a year before the actual One Piece anime started. (With Wataru Takagi as Zoro and Megumi Toyoguchi as Nami.)
Espically when Matsumoto screams. Her screams are very Nozawa-like.

You know even long before DBE, I once said if Toei had decided to recast Goku for a man post-Daimao, I could always see Kappei Yamaguchi working out. He has that boyish innocence to his voice.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:26 am

Very much agreed about Matsumoto's Nozawa-ish screams. For those of you unfamiliar, I present the "Pikachuuu!!" at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGTKQrhWdSw

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:05 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Very much agreed about Matsumoto's Nozawa-ish screams. For those of you unfamiliar, I present the "Pikachuuu!!" at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGTKQrhWdSw
Yeah, that.
Hell that sounded very Mayumi Tanaka-ish as well.

mrzisawesome

Post by mrzisawesome » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Cowboy Dev wrote:
Or maybe Megumi Ogata. Her Shinji Ikari screams sound similar to Goku's.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Matsumoto would be the only replacement I could accept right off. Her Satoshi has Goku-like qualities.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:25 am

I'd feel odd re-casting Goku's voice while Nozawa's still alive; like I'd be tempting bad luck or something. :?

That "Pikachu" scream in the YouTube clip was pretty close. I don't think I've ever really heard Satoshi in Japanese before. I'll probably have to find a clip of his speaking voice to tell if it'd be close to Goku's though.

It does give me the mental image of Goku holding a pokeball made to look like the 4-star ball sneaking up on Kinto'un to try and catch it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:39 am

I certainly wouldn't want anything to happen to Nozawa, after all she's a fabulous actress whose work extends far beyond Dragon Ball. (Personally, I'm rather fond of Guilmon and Dr. Kureha.)

As for a bit more listening to Satoshi, about 2 minutes into this song, she briefly stops singing and just starts talking a bit of Satoshi. And he talks a bit at the start of this too.

"KINTOUN was caught! Would you like to nickname it? Y/N?

Y. NIMB--*shot*

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 am

Listening to those two clips there are definitely some similarities in there. Satoshi's VA's voice definitely sounds closer than Ed's VA's voice does to Goku, at least in my opinion.

Also, I checked it on Wikipedia (so I'm not sure how accurate it is), but Pokémon's up to episode 657?! She's been voicing Satoshi for a LONG TIME now. O_O
(Judging by this episode list, I stopped following Pokémon around the early 120's.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:57 am

I guess I could see Ash's Japanese voice voicing Gokū, but I just wouldn't want two of my favourite cartoon characters to have the same voice. Good thing Nozawa's here to stay.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:15 am

Chuquita wrote:Also, I checked it on Wikipedia (so I'm not sure how accurate it is), but Pokémon's up to episode 657?! She's been voicing Satoshi for a LONG TIME now. O_O
(Judging by this episode list, I stopped following Pokémon around the early 120's.)
Yeah, 657 sounds like it'd be about right... The show started on Japanese TV back at the start of April '97, so that's over 13 years ago now. (Just imagine poor Ikue Ohtani! She's been repeating the same three syllables all these years as the little yellow thing!)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Chuquita wrote:Listening to those two clips there are definitely some similarities in there. Satoshi's VA's voice definitely sounds closer than Ed's VA's voice does to Goku, at least in my opinion.

Also, I checked it on Wikipedia (so I'm not sure how accurate it is), but Pokémon's up to episode 657?! She's been voicing Satoshi for a LONG TIME now. O_O
I stopped watching it before Johto started, but I do keep up with it a bit to watch some of the legends be animated (which basically means I glance over the movies.). But yeah, they are at 657 episodes as of now, with an entire new saga on the way which will probably run another 200ish episodes for Black and White.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'd feel odd re-casting Goku's voice while Nozawa's still alive; like I'd be tempting bad luck or something. :?

That "Pikachu" scream in the YouTube clip was pretty close. I don't think I've ever really heard Satoshi in Japanese before. I'll probably have to find a clip of his speaking voice to tell if it'd be close to Goku's though.

It does give me the mental image of Goku holding a pokeball made to look like the 4-star ball sneaking up on Kinto'un to try and catch it.
Yeah I don't think any of us were implying we want her replaced, just who could fill in for her.

mrzisawesome

Post by mrzisawesome » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 pm

mrzisawesome wrote:
Cowboy Dev wrote:
Or maybe Megumi Ogata. Her Shinji Ikari screams sound similar to Goku's.
Once again, Ogata is a far better replacement than the Ash person.