Fusion

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Fusion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Just curious what the actual term used by Abo and Kado in the Jump special is for when they merge. It sounds like "gattai", but my ears have never been all that great for picking out phonetics, and foreign languages just make it harder on me.

The main site has "gattai" listed as "combination," "integration," or "fusion" and I assume that "merge" would be acceptable as well, as it is what is used in the special's subtitles and in the manga version, correct? Is this the first time the same term is used to describe more than one of the types of fusion seen in the series? Do we have a full list of romanizations and translations for the fusion terms?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Fusion

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Yeah, it's gattai, which is fairly generic. It's used for when Pilaf's robots merge, for Super No.13, the merging of Hildegarn's two halfs, and to describe Fusion dance and Potara merging. I remember the Daizex transformation guide saying that gattai wasn't used for the Fusion dance, but that's incorrect. "Fusion" (as in the actual English word) is the proper noun name of the technique, while the technique's actual effects are described in Japanese with the word gattai, as well as yuugou.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah, they yelled out "Gattai!!" (合体) It's a pretty generic term for fusing or merging in Japanese. (See: probably any mecha show, such as GunBuster, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, etc.) The kanji literally just mean to join bodies.

The Metamorian fusion ("the Fusion Dance") is called simply フュージョン (fyu-jon) in Japanese. Potara fusion is called "gattai." I think the Nameccian assimilation is called the same. Hell, I think they call the dance fusion the same thing at certain points in the story. Like I said, a pretty standard term for merging.

HERRRRRRRRRRRRRMS! Not again!!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:39 pm

And then Namekian fusion gets referred to as both yuugou and douka.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 pm

融合&同化? Did they ever call it gattai as well, or am I remembering wrong? Too many (generic!) terms to keep track of...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:融合&同化?
Yep.
Did they ever call it gattai as well, or am I remembering wrong? Too many (generic!) terms to keep track of...
Kuririn uses gattai when telling Tenshinhan and co. about the prospect of God and the demon king merging. There might be other times. Overall it seems that when Piccolo merges with Nail, the word used is douka (with one or two instances of yuugou here and there), but when he merges with God it's predominantly referred to as yuugou by then.