The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:04 pm

rereboy wrote:Giving the context of the scene, it wouldn't make any sense for Gohan to still transform because Yakon would just feed on any SSJ's light and power.
Oh trust me, I know, but this guy's rather insistent that Herms' translation is wrong on the matter, that Gohan was just saying that Goku wouldn't need to transform.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:As such, I could use a write-up of the original text in Japanese for outside source translation.
You have the original Japanese text. It's in the picture you posted.

What this instead reads to me as is "I need the Japanese text to copy and paste into Google Translate"... which isn't a valid "outside source" for anyone to use.

Short of another living-breathing-human-being outside source that you trust that has the same qualifications as the Kanzenshuu staff (in which case you can just give them the same image), there's nothing else we can provide.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Anyone know what Vegetto says here?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Anyone know what Vegetto says here?
It's just "Yossha...!" or "All Right...!"
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:Herms' translation indicated that neither Goku nor Gohan would need to transform, whereas he's claiming the Viz translation is suggesting that just Goku wouldn't need to transform (and that Gohan still would).
I guess arguably the Japanese wording is more ambiguous than my translation in the Strength Checker (probably a case where I should have put the [we'll] in brackets or something), but there's definitely no specific suggestion that Gohan would have to be Super Saiyan to help out Goku. Is the Viz translation really that different on this score? What's it say that makes him think Gohan would need to transform?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:21 am

Herms wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:Herms' translation indicated that neither Goku nor Gohan would need to transform, whereas he's claiming the Viz translation is suggesting that just Goku wouldn't need to transform (and that Gohan still would).
I guess arguably the Japanese wording is more ambiguous than my translation in the Strength Checker (probably a case where I should have put the [we'll] in brackets or something), but there's definitely no specific suggestion that Gohan would have to be Super Saiyan to help out Goku. Is the Viz translation really that different on this score? What's it say that makes him think Gohan would need to transform?
Considering the wording is essentially "he can be beaten without the need to go Super Saiyan", and considering Yakon has the power to more or less turn OFF their Super Saiyan forms, which is the reason Gohan offers to help in the first place... I honestly don't get how it COULD be interpreted differently. Gohan thinks they need a way to beat him without going Super Saiyan because he believes they CAN'T go Super Saiyan against him.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:25 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:As such, I could use a write-up of the original text in Japanese for outside source translation.
You have the original Japanese text. It's in the picture you posted.

What this instead reads to me as is "I need the Japanese text to copy and paste into Google Translate"... which isn't a valid "outside source" for anyone to use.

Short of another living-breathing-human-being outside source that you trust that has the same qualifications as the Kanzenshuu staff (in which case you can just give them the same image), there's nothing else we can provide.
Well, that's the thing. That's what the guy wants. He wants to be able to just throw it into a google translate or whatever and see what comes up, because he doesn't consider Herms' translation of it as legitimate because of Herms and SaiyaJedi having conflicting translations of the Twel-Buu Mysteries.

His exact words on the matter:
No, your Herms' translations do not have credibility because as I proved already, Kanzenshuufan-site translations have NOT been verified by any legit source like VizBig and other OFFICIAL releases of the manga have. ALso, both SaiyaJedi and Herms (the official translators for Kanzenshuu fansite) both translated the 2014 Twel-Buu Mysteries interview and came out with TWO totally different versions - they had to FUSE their translations into a final release.

Get Herms' translations tf atta here.
Herms wrote:I guess arguably the Japanese wording is more ambiguous than my translation in the Strength Checker (probably a case where I should have put the [we'll] in brackets or something), but there's definitely no specific suggestion that Gohan would have to be Super Saiyan to help out Goku. Is the Viz translation really that different on this score? What's it say that makes him think Gohan would need to transform?
Viz's translation, according to him, is "No dad, I'll fight too! You won't have to be a super saiyan!"

And he's arguing that it's strictly Goku that won't need to transform because he's saying "you" and not "we".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:07 am

For someone who knows a little bit inside-baseball about our translation work, they(?) sure like to make up reasons to discredit and disparage.

That one particular Q&A double-over-translation was a rare case of miscommunication where each didn't know the other was translating it. We slapped them together when we liked one turn-of-phrase a little more than the other. That's all. Sorry it's not more exciting and scandalous.

If you want a comparison of Jake's and Julian's translation work and how in-line we all are, here's an example of me correcting someone's mistranslation with Julian's information and Jake simultaneously-yet-separately explaining the exact same thing with the exact same colloquial details.

If your level of Japanese is so low that you can't even transcribe text from an image (one that even has furigana), and then need to have someone else do it (ironically/particularly the ones you want to disparage in the first place) so you can copy and paste it into some other translation source, that says all that needs be said about your critical commentary on someone else's translation work.

Here's the expected response from Asshole Overlord VegettoEX: so basically, nevermind our time, stop wasting your own time with this.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Darkprince410 wrote: Viz's translation, according to him, is "No dad, I'll fight too! You won't have to be a super saiyan!"

And he's arguing that it's strictly Goku that won't need to transform because he's saying "you" and not "we".
The exact Viz dialogue:
"No, dad, I'll fight, too! Then you won't have to be a Super Saiyan!!"
So yeah, that guy is right about what the Viz panel says. However, I think he is being rather obtuse in his interpretation of it.

Considering the context of the scene, it's fairly evident that Gohan is telling Goku that if they both attack Yakon in their base levels, it would not only guarantee a win, but it would also prevent him from absorbing their SSJ auras. Obviously Gohan wouldn't have been gung-ho about attacking Yakon as a SSJ, given that he'd just seen him eat Goku's SSJ aura like a piece of candy.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:Well, that's the thing. That's what the guy wants. He wants to be able to just throw it into a google translate or whatever and see what comes up, because he doesn't consider Herms' translation of it as legitimate because of Herms and SaiyaJedi having conflicting translations of the Twel-Buu Mysteries.
*Shrug* Well, against my better judgement:

おとうさん
ボクも闘いますよ
ふたりでなら超サイヤ人にならなくても勝てます!!

But like Mike said, this guy really doesn't sound like someone worth having a discussion with.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Herms wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:Well, that's the thing. That's what the guy wants. He wants to be able to just throw it into a google translate or whatever and see what comes up, because he doesn't consider Herms' translation of it as legitimate because of Herms and SaiyaJedi having conflicting translations of the Twel-Buu Mysteries.
*Shrug* Well, against my better judgement:

おとうさん
ボクも闘いますよ
ふたりでなら超サイヤ人にならなくても勝てます!!

But like Mike said, this guy really doesn't sound like someone worth having a discussion with.
I've sadly invested far, far more time into it than I should have, and every time the initial trigger argument comes up, he just jumps to counter my response and it always devolves from there. It's my stupid pride on the matter that keeps me from just walking away this time, cause the last time I did, he just picked it right back up the next time.

Thanks Herms and Vegetto. The help's appreciated.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:02 am

Darkprince410 wrote: Well, that's the thing. That's what the guy wants. He wants to be able to just throw it into a google translate or whatever and see what comes up,
Google Translate wrote:Dad
Also fight me
You win even if they do not Super Saiyan If in Futari! !
I don't really get how this will be of use to him.

(also, I found the discussion in question, and... yeah, don't bother)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:53 am

Can someone translate this page for me, please? My intent is to see if there's something in the original not properly translated in the Viz version of it. Sorry for bothering you. Thanks in advance.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

カカロット···すごいヤツだよおまえは···
Kakarrot... You are one incredible guy.

···あの 魔人ブウはオレにはとてもかなう相手じゃなかった···
...I was absolutely nothing against Majin Buu.

あいつと闘えるのはおまえだけだ···
You are the only one (capable of) fighting him...

···なんとなくわかった気がする···
I think I finally realize...

···なぜ天才であるはずのオレが おまえにかなわないのか···
Why I was never able to surpass you, despite my natural talent.

守りたいものがあるからだとおもっていた···
For awhile, I thought that maybe it was because you
had something to protect...

守りたいという強い心が得体の知れない力を生み出しているのだと
...That your fiery passion for defending something helped give rise
to some sort of mysterious power deep down...

たしかにそれもあるかもしれないがそれは今のオレもおなじことだ···
While that may be part of it, I too have the same... (something/others to protect)

···オレは オレの思いどおりにするために··· 楽しみのために···敵を殺すために··· そしてプライドのために闘ってきた···
I... I (fought) to get my way... For my own enjoyment...
To kill my enemies... and for my own pride...

だが··· あいつはちがう··· 勝つために戦うんじゃないぜったい負けないために限界を極め続け闘うんだ···!
だから 相手の命を絶つことに こだわりはしない···
However... You are different... You don't fight in order to win,
you fight for the sake of pushing your limits to the extreme, so that you never lose.
That's why you don't worry yourself over taking your enemy's life...

----
Bonus Full Color Buu bite:
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 pm

During the scene where Vegetto is beating on Buu, and Elder Kaioshin is explaining Vegetto's strength, what is the exact wording he uses? The Strength Checker has this:

Chapter: 504 (DBZ 310), P9.2-3
Context: as Vegetto beats up on Gohan-absorbed Boo
Kaioshin-Kibito: “H-he’s strong!!! Majin Boo there is helpless!!! To think that merging with the Potara would be this incredible…!!”
Elder Kaioshin: “Idiot, it’s because it was those two that they were able to go so far. Two of the top 3 masters in both the living world and afterlife have merged, after all. What’s more, two rivals have joined together. That’s definitely strongest.”

Is the "rivals" comment referring to them being rivals in the sense that they're around the same strength? Or is it referring to their personalities?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:40 pm

What’s more, two rivals have joined together. That’s definitely strongest.
That's about the only way to translate it.
しかもライバル同士か組んだんじゃ そりゃ最強きまっとるわい

「ライバル」is just the English word Rival.
「組んだ」is joined/teamed/paired

Elder Kaiōshin is saying that the two of them are rivals that have joined together,
not that their strength rivals each other's.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Chapter: 423 (DBZ 229), P4.1
Vegeta: “Your body’s gotten rusty. No matter how peaceful it may be, you should still train just in case.”

What's the Japanese word translated as "rusty" here? Does it mean that Gohan's body is weaker or...?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:52 pm

You're reading a scanlation.
The official translation is clearer.

カラダがなまってるぞいくら平和だからといっても訓練はしっておけ
Your body looks dull (you look out of shape)
Even though we're in peacetime, you should keep training.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:03 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:You're reading a scanlation.

Thanks for the Viz pic. I couldn't remember how it was worded there. Actually the quote I posted is from Herm's strength checker.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:11 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:You're reading a scanlation.

Yeah, that's not a scanslation version of the dialogue. Herms took a slightly different approach to translating it, but it still essentially comes out to the same meaning.