Saiyan Battle Armour question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Saiyan Battle Armour question

Post by Vegeta Jr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:50 am

Is it ever specified whether the suit is of Saiyan origin but adopted by Freeza for his army, or whether it was Freeza's to begin with and Saiyans are just in his army?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Re: Saiyan Battle Armour question

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I think it depends on the source. In the manga, they don't say anything either way, just that the Saiyans were annexed into Frieza's Empire, so there's no reason to think that the armor didn't originate from Frieza and the Saiyans were just issued it.

The anime says otherwise. The anime outright says the Saiyans adopted what technology the Tuffles had, which was the scouters, and then met another alien race called the Acrosians who gave them the armor. When Frieza conquered them, he ended up adopting the armor.

However, I've questioned the Acrosian thing simply because nearly everything else about the Saiyans and how they came to conquer planets was retconned; meteor destroyed their planet, they make their living clearing out planets for highest bidder, etc. to Frieza annexing them into his empire and destroying them out of fear of a Super Saiyan.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Toriyama's character design for Broli says that the armor typically associated with the Saiyans was just something handed out to all of Freeza's forces, and that's why Broli and Paragus don't wear them. It's not in the manga, but that's Toriyama's thoughts on the matter. His memo to the anime staff on the Saiyans and Tsufruians also doesn't show either race wearing that kind of armor.
Travis Touchdown wrote:The anime says otherwise. The anime outright says the Saiyans adopted what technology the Tuffles had, which was the scouters, and then met another alien race called the Acrosians who gave them the armor. When Freeza conquered them, he ended up adopting the armor.
The "Acrosians" are just another thing the dub invented out of whole cloth. In the Japanese anime the Saiyans have dealing with various nameless rich alien races, a random sample of which is shown onscreen.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Herms wrote: The "Acrosians" are just another thing the dub invented out of whole cloth. In the Japanese anime the Saiyans have dealing with various nameless rich alien races, a random sample of which is shown onscreen.
I see! Very interesting. I never liked that sub-story and always felt it just made their history even more inconsistent. Thanks for clearing that up!
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 am

Wasn't the armor originally created for the tiny people of planet Lit?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

caejones wrote:Wasn't the armor originally created for the tiny people of planet Lit?
No, that was only a small model of armour that Vegeta chose for Gohan and Kuririn.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.