Gohan's perceived death in Buu Saga

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dualist
Regular

Gohan's perceived death in Buu Saga

Post by dualist » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:53 am

If Bulma used the Dragonballs to wish everyone who died that day back, why did everyone think Gohan was still dead? He hadn't been wished back by the dragonballs before and Bulma didn't specifically say everyone killed by Vegeta. Does the Manga present this differently?

Thanks!
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Gohan's perceived death in Buu Saga

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 am

It pretty much makes no sense. My only explanation is that maybe Toriyama mistakenly thought Gohan had already died once and been revived.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:08 am

Well, they couldn't sense him.

And was the wish to bring back everyone who died that day, or just people Vegeta killed? Was everyone aware of what Bulma exactly wished for?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 am

Didn't Yamcha make the wish?

And because fuck logic, basically.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 am

hleV wrote:And was the wish to bring back everyone who died that day, or just people Vegeta killed?
Everyone who died that day except for the bad guys; that's why Kibito came back too (and not Dabra).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 am

They couldn't sense him, so the only logical assumption was that he was dead. What else would you think?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:They couldn't sense him, so the only logical assumption was that he was dead. What else would you think?
That he had to be alive (because of the wish) but they couldn't sense him for some reason? It wouldn't take a genius to figure out some possibilities to explain this, like Gohan being knocked out and hurt somewhere.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

Kid Buu wrote: Re: Gohan's perceived death in Buu Saga
Z-Warriors: Losing brain cells since the Freeza Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

rereboy wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:They couldn't sense him, so the only logical assumption was that he was dead. What else would you think?
That he had to be alive (because of the wish) but they couldn't sense him for some reason? It wouldn't take a genius to figure out some possibilities to explain this, like Gohan being knocked out and hurt somewhere.
What are the other possibilities then?

Also, didn't they learn that Gohan was dead after the wish?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm

One, because no one could sense him,
Two, he would've at least showed up at some point.
And wasn't the wish "Undo all the damage by Vegeta at the day of martial arts tournament?"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Maybe Toriyama remembered that Gohan died once but forgot that it was in Future Trunks' timeline.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:56 pm

I can see why a lot of fans dislike the Buu Saga, because of the messed-up logic and the lack of brain cells in the Z-Fighters.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Videl even puts forward the idea that he's not dead, but Goku dismisses it because he can't sense Gohan's energy. Between this and their reaction to the Androids, I think the Z team have become too dependant on their ki sensing abilities over time. As a result, they've been given a sort of tunnel vision that makes them miss something obvious.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote: Re: Gohan's perceived death in Buu Saga
Z-Warriors: Losing brain cells since the Freeza Saga.
Too many blows to the head, it got to the brain.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm

>implying they were any smarter in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm

HA, I'd be a liar if I didn't give you that one.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
rereboy wrote:
What are the other possibilities then?

Also, didn't they learn that Gohan was dead after the wish?
No, Vegeta assumed that Gohan had been killed and Piccolo heard him, so he also assumed he was dead. The wish was after that. If he was really dead, then the wish would have brought him back. If he isn't back, then he didn't die. Why can't they sense him then? The most obvious answers is that he is far away or that he is hurt and unconscious somewhere.

Anyway, these conclusions aren't hard to reach at all. They should have at least wondered about it.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:One, because no one could sense him,
Two, he would've at least showed up at some point.
And wasn't the wish "Undo all the damage by Vegeta at the day of martial arts tournament?"
If that was the wish, then it would make sense that they did not think Gohan was brought back to life.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:21 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:>implying they were any smarter in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas
Well.... I did say "since the Freeza Saga".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 am

But the wish to was bring back everyone except for the bad guys and they thought Gohan was dead before that and even had that scene were Chi Chi and Bulma broke down because of Vegeta's and Gohan's deaths. It jus tdidn't make any sense, they didn't even think about the fact that maybe Gohad should have been wished back with Bulma's wish. It never even comes up. Makes no sense.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721