Herms' BoG Strength Run-Down - How accurate is it?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Herms' BoG Strength Run-Down - How accurate is it?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:07 am

Not that I don't trust Herms, but when he made that guide, he didn't have the movie in front of him. I already found some errors there: God Goku didn't deflect Beerus' ki blast, and Beerus comment about having great fighting sense wasn't going to Gotenks, it was going to Vegeta.

But what about the rest of it? Are there any other mistakes? For example, I've checked various fan subs, and I usually see God Goku saying that he couldn't reach that realm on his own, not that he never knew that there was a realm like this. Another example is, Beerus says that he didn't get to see Goku's full potential (which is true, since he fought with 100% SSGod Goku for only a few seconds), but the guide says that Goku has immeasurable latent power. Of course, the subs could be wrong. But are they?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: Herms' BoG Strength Run-Down - How accurate is it?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm

I would also like to know whether Goku said on his own or not because it would help with SSJ3 Vegetto vs Beerus discussion.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 pm

I did make that thing before I'd even seen the movie myself and was just going off of stuff Kei provided...so yeah, it's really in need of an update. That's actually why I never added it to the Guide Guide, since I was waiting until after I updated it. But I just never seem to get around to it. If nothing else I'll make an updated/expanded version as part of Strengtha-palooza...which is another project I need to get back to.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Alright, so I went and checked the movie.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:For example, I've checked various fan subs, and I usually see God Goku saying that he couldn't reach that realm on his own, not that he never knew that there was a realm like this.
He says both of those things back-to-back. The first bit's this:

こんな世界があったなんてよ
kon'na sekai ga atta nante yo

Which is a bit hard to translate literally, but he's expressing surprise that there could be a "world" like this (ie like Super Saiyan God). Then he says that it's a "world" he couldn't reach on his own.
Another example is, Beerus says that he didn't get to see Goku's full potential (which is true, since he fought with 100% SSGod Goku for only a few seconds), but the guide says that Goku has immeasurable latent power. Of course, the subs could be wrong. But are they?
I wrote this in the Translation Thread as well, but he does indeed say that Goku's latent power is "immeasurable" (aitsu no senzai-nouryoku wa hakari-shirenee mono go aru).

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Herms wrote: If nothing else I'll make an updated/expanded version as part of Strengtha-palooza...which is another project I need to get back to.
Oh I almost finished the battle record for that.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 am

Thanks a lot Herms!

What could Goku having immeasurable latent power mean? Except if Beerus can sense how much latent power one has, I guess he means that there is no telling how strong he can get?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:18 am

What could Goku having immeasurable latent power mean? Except if Beerus can sense how much latent power one has, I guess he means that there is no telling how strong he can get?
I think it's simplier than You think it is. We saw Goku was able to absorb Beerus' attack which overwhelmed his power, but Goku was able to absorb it even if he was completely exaused and may be unconscious before transforming into SSJ God for the second time. I don't think it was technique, it was his inner power.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 am

We don't know exactly what Goku did with Beerus ki blast (not even Goku & Beerus do), so I guess we will have to wait for whatever comes next to get the answer. Until then, all we can do is speculate.

But what God Goku did is nearly identical to what he did as a Super Saiyan 4 with Oozaru Baby's Revenge Death Ball.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:What could Goku having immeasurable latent power mean? Except if Beerus can sense how much latent power one has, I guess he means that there is no telling how strong he can get?
I guess almost the same, there is no established limit for how strong Goku can get due to his immeasurable latent power. Toriyama seems to suggest that someday Goku will close the gap between him and Beerus or eventually surpass Beerus.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Herms wrote:Alright, so I went and checked the movie.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:For example, I've checked various fan subs, and I usually see God Goku saying that he couldn't reach that realm on his own, not that he never knew that there was a realm like this.
He says both of those things back-to-back. The first bit's this:

こんな世界があったなんてよ
kon'na sekai ga atta nante yo

Which is a bit hard to translate literally, but he's expressing surprise that there could be a "world" like this (ie like Super Saiyan God). Then he says that it's a "world" he couldn't reach on his own.
Another example is, Beerus says that he didn't get to see Goku's full potential (which is true, since he fought with 100% SSGod Goku for only a few seconds), but the guide says that Goku has immeasurable latent power. Of course, the subs could be wrong. But are they?
I wrote this in the Translation Thread as well, but he does indeed say that Goku's latent power is "immeasurable" (aitsu no senzai-nouryoku wa hakari-shirenee mono go aru).
Doesn't he say that both Goku/Vegeta have immesaurable latent power, or just Goku alone?

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Doesn't he say that both Goku/Vegeta have immesaurable latent power, or just Goku alone?
Just Goku. He says Goku and Vegeta might eventually become formidable foes though.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 am

So he's reached a whole new realm of power then, right? I don't think it's always bad to not be totally literal in your translations!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

Fionordequester wrote:
So he's reached a whole new realm of power then, right? I don't think it's always bad to not be totally literal in your translations!
Well, what do you mean by realm?
Do you mean it as in "he's become so powerful that he couldn't have even imagined it before," or
"he's achieved a different kind of power, that he was unable to comprehend before?"

Both of those meanings work. given what we learn in the movie.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 am

Beerus said that Goku absorbed the realm of the form in the movie, and then Toriyama says the same, but uses the word power instead of realm. So, I guess realm = power in these cases.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 am

Fionordequester wrote: So he's reached a whole new realm of power then, right? I don't think it's always bad to not be totally literal in your translations!
The "realm" thing doesn't necessarily have to be power-specific. It might have to do with the new, godly ki.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Beerus said that Goku absorbed the realm of the form in the movie, and then Toriyama says the same, but uses the word power instead of realm. So, I guess realm = power in these cases.
Goku absorbed both the realm and the power, yes. They don't have to be the same thing at all.

sekzee
Beyond Newbie

Post by sekzee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 am

Are you implying he absorbed the Godly World of the Gods?

No. Dimensions apart and worlds apart have been used previously to demonstrate that the powers being compared are vastly too different, so it is likely that realm is being used synonymously.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 pm

It just means a whole new level of power.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:57 pm

sekzee wrote:Are you implying he absorbed the Godly World of the Gods?
... No?
sekzee wrote:No. Dimensions apart and worlds apart have been used previously to demonstrate that the powers being compared are vastly too different, so it is likely that realm is being used synonymously.
Previously there was nothing else but level of power to be used as a synonym for "realm". In BOG, we now have a different type of power. Surely the superior godly ki could be said to be on a whole different realm than normal ki, without comparing the actual amounts of them.
Last edited by hleV on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 am

hleV wrote:Previously there was nothing else but level of power to be used as a synonym for "realm". In BOG, we now have a different type of power. Surely the inferior godly ki could be said to be on a whole different realm than normal ki, without comparing the actual amounts of them.
But Goku said that he never imagined such a realm (or was surprised it existed, or something like that), while he is extremely familiar with gods.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
hleV wrote:Previously there was nothing else but level of power to be used as a synonym for "realm". In BOG, we now have a different type of power. Surely the inferior godly ki could be said to be on a whole different realm than normal ki, without comparing the actual amounts of them.
But Goku said that he never imagined such a realm (or was surprised it existed, or something like that), while he is extremely familiar with gods.
I'm not sure what being familiar with gods has to do with being unfamiliar with godly ki. Goku had never sensed it before, let alone had it.