So what about the universes?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

So what about the universes?

Post by Kishido » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:48 pm

I really hoped after BoG and Beerus statement we would go to the other universes fighting there the other "gods"... The hype was crushed with now frieza returning.

Do you still think there is hope for more about it or was it just talk?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: So what about the universes?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Maybe they will do something with later, but who knows for sure.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm holding out hope it'll be covered in the movie after this movie. If they do one after F, that third new movie will be the 20th one; they'll have to do something really special for the 20th one. Going to some of the other universes sounds like it'd work well for that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm holding out hope that the other universes will still come up in RoF somehow or another, even if it's simply another mention of "hey, there's 11 other universes out there!" If not, then maybe in a third movie. Or maybe they'll just forever be left as a tantalizing hint of what else could be out there.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Well nothing yet obviously. If I was going to guess, The Universes would be based on Toriyama's other properties. For example, he did a Star Wars parody one shot starting out as a mangaka; that could be a universe maybe. If I'm right, of course Dr. Slump has to be it's own universe. I think he did a Sentai parody once as well so hey a whole universe of them too maybe. And Kajika, and Sandland, And Cowa! Perhaps Dragon Quest too.

All speculation of course.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Guys, we aren't talking about planets or even solar systems. These are universes. What's the point of visiting them? It's no different from exploring Goku's universe. :?

If we do go that direction, I want a multiverse tournament with all the gods of destruction. A godly tournament that actually ends. That'd be awesome for a final movie or arc.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm hoping that the ending of Revival of F somehow ties into this subject and maybe ends with a cliffhanger or something. They go out of their way to call this a sequel to Battle of Gods and even include the Oracle Fish, so I find it hard to believe that they would just drop that plot point that just came out of nowhere at the end of the first film.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Herms wrote:Or maybe they'll just forever be left as a tantalizing hint of what else could be out there.
I fear that. I wouldn't want to get such an information just for catch me thinking about it all the time. I want to see this franchise growing bigger as though there wasn't an end.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Kishido wrote:I really hoped after BoG and Beerus statement we would go to the other universes fighting there the other "gods"... The hype was crushed with now Freeza returning.

Do you still think there is hope for more about it or was it just talk?
If Toriyama's scenario for the movie really is as good as Torishima has told him it is, then I expect RoF to end with Freeza being sent to another universe setting up a 3rd movie, where Goku and Vegeta will have to explore that universe.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Goku and Vegeta exploring another universe is quite literally the same as Frieza running off into his own universe and them chasing him there. The only difference would be the "other worlds" and gods of each other universe.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:49 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Well nothing yet obviously. If I was going to guess, The Universes would be based on Toriyama's other properties. For example, he did a Star Wars parody one shot starting out as a mangaka; that could be a universe maybe. If I'm right, of course Dr. Slump has to be it's own universe. I think he did a Sentai parody once as well so hey a whole universe of them too maybe. And Kajika, and Sandland, And Cowa! Perhaps Dragon Quest too.

All speculation of course.
Rain Jack (the Star Wars one) shares continuity with Dr. Slump. Dr. Slump shares continuity with Dragonball (there's even a crossover in the Red Ribbon saga).

However, I think the guides states Neko Majin Z is another universe, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that's one of them, then. It could also be that the world of GT is another universe.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Dayspring wrote:However, I think the guides states Neko Majin Z is another universe, if I'm not mistaken.
Not exactly, it says that it takes place in a parallel world, not a different universe. Meaning that Neko Majin takes place in an alternative Universe 7.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Dr. Slump shares continuity with Dragonball
...sort of. The world Dragonball is set in and the world Dr. Slump is set in don't really match up that well; Dragonball's world uses the "Age" system for years while Dr. Slump's uses BC/AD like real-world Earth, for example. I've read they also both have a "God/Kami" character and it's not the same guy between the two (if I recall correctly, Dr. Slump's version more closely resembles Roshi? he's definitely not Namekian at the very least), even though we know Dragonball's Kami has been in his position for quite a while. And just about everything in Dragonball's Earth is more heavily shifted away from real-world Earth (to the point of having completely different landmasses, one world government with a dog guy in charge, etc.), not just their calendar system. Dr. Slump seems to be set in something more like "slightly altered gag-manga version of real-world Earth" rather than a completely different Earth with almost no resemblance to the real-life version.

Honestly, the only reason anyone thinks for a moment that the two take place on the same world is the random crossover bit in Dragonball. Nothing else seems to link the two series together aside from being written/drawn by the same guy... there's so many things that don't match up, and once the brief crossover segment ends it's like the two worlds are completely separate again.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:56 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Guys, we aren't talking about planets or even solar systems. These are universes. What's the point of visiting them? It's no different from exploring Goku's universe. :?
It might be, if the other universes were totally different than No.7. Like, maybe one is on the back of a giant turtle, or one is a Flatland-style universe where Goku and co. become literally two-dimensional, or there's one where it's impossible to use ki, so Goku and co. have to adapt to that and fight using other means, or one where the fighters all have Jojo-style Stands or some such thing. Not sure if Toriyama would really go down any of those routes, but it would be incredibly easy to take the "other universes" idea as an opportunity to do something radically new with the series, if Toriyama or anyone else were so inclined. I mean, if the next universe over is pretty much the same as the one Goku and co. live in except there's a big 8 written on the side, then sure, don't bother with a movie exploring it. But there's no reason they'd need to do something so boring if they didn't want to.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:54 am

Herms wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Guys, we aren't talking about planets or even solar systems. These are universes. What's the point of visiting them? It's no different from exploring Goku's universe. :?
It might be, if the other universes were totally different than No.7. Like, maybe one is on the back of a giant turtle, or one is a Flatland-style universe where Goku and co. become literally two-dimensional, or there's one where it's impossible to use ki, so Goku and co. have to adapt to that and fight using other means, or one where the fighters all have Jojo-style Stands or some such thing. Not sure if Toriyama would really go down any of those routes, but it would be incredibly easy to take the "other universes" idea as an opportunity to do something radically new with the series, if Toriyama or anyone else were so inclined. I mean, if the next universe over is pretty much the same as the one Goku and co. live in except there's a big 8 written on the side, then sure, don't bother with a movie exploring it. But there's no reason they'd need to do something so boring if they didn't want to.
I was thinking about that too. But then I thought, you can just make planets or segments of the galaxy where those same sort of things apply. Well, maybe not as exaggerated as becoming completely 2D.

Nintendo went wild in Mario Galaxy games with planets. Don't see the need to explore other universes when you can just creatively expand the one you already have. =P

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Pantalones wrote:
...sort of. The world Dragonball is set in and the world Dr. Slump is set in don't really match up that well; Dragonball's world uses the "Age" system for years while Dr. Slump's uses BC/AD like real-world Earth, for example.

The Eastern Country in the Dragonball world uses that calendar system, reuses some of our country names, as well as currencies different from the Zeni. Wonder Island, Detective Tomato, Today's Highlight Island, Doctor Slump, Cashman, Kintoki and Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman are all set here (or, more accurately, Kintoki claims to go there after the one-shot ended, with cameos of them found there later in Jaco). The biggest reason for the differences is that much of the country consists of a bunch of small, isolated island chains.
I've read they also both have a "God/Kami" character and it's not the same guy between the two (if I recall correctly, Dr. Slump's version more closely resembles Roshi? he's definitely not Namekian at the very least), even though we know Dragonball's Kami has been in his position for quite a while. And just about everything in Dragonball's Earth is more heavily shifted away from real-world Earth (to the point of having completely different landmasses, one world government with a dog guy in charge, etc.), not just their calendar system. Dr. Slump seems to be set in something more like "slightly altered gag-manga version of real-world Earth" rather than a completely different Earth with almost no resemblance to the real-life version.
The presence of that god contradicts nothing once we find out there are numerous gods in Dragonball beyond just Kami. In fact, the type of god he is gets referenced during Kaio's explanation of what Beerus is and how Beerus pertains to the Kaioshin. This guy is a god of destruction. His name of "Kami" would imply that his rank among the gods of destruction is to Dende as Beerus is to the Kaioshin.

Honestly, the only reason anyone thinks for a moment that the two take place on the same world is the random crossover bit in Dragonball. Nothing else seems to link the two series together aside from being written/drawn by the same guy... there's so many things that don't match up, and once the brief crossover segment ends it's like the two worlds are completely separate again.
Well, for starters, them "randomly" crossing over would strongly suggest they share continuity in of itself. As for other instances, keep in mind this occurred during the Red Ribbon saga. Prior to the 22nd Budokai, Dragonball was a gag-manga just as much as the later books of Doctor Slump were. DB continued to be a gag-manga until Nappa and Vegeta arrived, just less zany. It returned to being a gag-manga on par with the pre-22nd Budokai as of the Great Saiyaman arc.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:40 pm

I think/hope the other universes will be explored in the sequel to FnF.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Pantalones wrote:
...sort of. The world Dragonball is set in and the world Dr. Slump is set in don't really match up that well; Dragonball's world uses the "Age" system for years while Dr. Slump's uses BC/AD like real-world Earth, for example. I've read they also both have a "God/Kami" character and it's not the same guy between the two (if I recall correctly, Dr. Slump's version more closely resembles Roshi? he's definitely not Namekian at the very least), even though we know Dragonball's Kami has been in his position for quite a while. And just about everything in Dragonball's Earth is more heavily shifted away from real-world Earth (to the point of having completely different landmasses, one world government with a dog guy in charge, etc.), not just their calendar system. Dr. Slump seems to be set in something more like "slightly altered gag-manga version of real-world Earth" rather than a completely different Earth with almost no resemblance to the real-life version.

Unless I"m mistaken, I do believe we also see that Dragon Ball exists as a fictional work in the Dr. Slump universe, so they exist in some weird state with one another. It's similar to the old Batman and Green Hornet TV series, where the Green Hornet appeared on more than one occasion in person in the Batman TV series, but Batman exists only as a TV show in the Green Hornet series.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Pantalones wrote:

Unless I"m mistaken, I do believe we also see that Dragon Ball exists as a fictional work in the Dr. Slump universe, so they exist in some weird state with one another. It's similar to the old Batman and Green Hornet TV series, where the Green Hornet appeared on more than one occasion in person in the Batman TV series, but Batman exists only as a TV show in the Green Hornet series.
Considering when DB came out compared to Slump, I think you're mistaken. However, anime Gohan has a poster of Arale in his room, for what it's worth.

It's worth noting, though, that Dragonball exists as a fictional series in the Dragonball universe as well. Right off the bat, I can recall a character getting kicked into the ceiling of a panel and the Boo saga has Krillin calling out Toriyama for re-hashing the same few panels during Goten and Trunks' fusion attempts, with Tori-bot breaking the 4th wall in order to tell his editor to ignore Krillin's accusation.

It's not that Dragonball isn't a gag-manga, it's that it's just not as over the top as Slump is, with the gag elements having been dropped almost entirely from the battle against Nappa to the arrival of Mr Satan.

A big problem with making my arguments is that you only really see it when you've read a ton of Toriyama's works and when you marathon read the entire DB series. How serious books 19-35 got is actually rather shocking, especially since he went back to his gag-manga roots.

-Edited because DAMN, I need to get in the habit of proofreading before clicking submit. :oops:

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:26 pm

In the Dr. Slump remake, Arale and Akane play a DBZ video game, and Arale puts the last Dragon Ball manga inside a machine, and then a black-and-white Goku and Kid Buu appear in the "real" world fighting.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra