Why do lots of people like Cell and Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Your saying that Vegeta was always ahead of Goku, and I don't believe that. Vegeta had the crap beaten out of him for most of the fight. And after Goku made his "I can't do this anymore" speech and used the Kaioken anyway. But this is going off of what I was originally saying. All I'm saying is that if one guy is allowed to multiply his power, then why can't the other.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Well, that's what I get for going off of memory that sometimes has trouble differentiating between dub and sub from when I filled in the blanks of my subtitled VHS collection with what aired on TV.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Well, what matters is that Vegeta saw his fight against Goku as a defeat, right?
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Wojak wrote:Well, what matters is that Vegeta saw his fight against Goku as a defeat, right?
How is that what matters? I don't see how that affects whether or not Vegeta has a code of honor, of any kind...

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote: How is that what matters? I don't see how that affects whether or not Vegeta has a code of honor, of any kind...
I don't think Vegeta has 'honor' in the way that we would define it, but he most certainly has a 'bushido' type credo that defines his thinking.

His attitude towards the senzu later in the series confirms this in a way.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I'm sorry, but what about Raditz? When he is wailing on Goku after being told he could leave, doesn't he go on about a true Saiyan warrior doing whatever it takes? Vegeta behaves the exact same way until he becomes a super saiyan. After that, suddenly we get the rules. "A true warrior doesnt need this" or "a true warrior doesn't do that." A stark parallel from the old "whatever it takes" philosophy, seemingly adopted because he felt he had achieved his birthright and at that point felt his shit no longer stunk.
Going back on one’s word is not strange thing for a Saiyan to do, Vegeta did it all through Freeza Saga. Super Ghost Kamikaze hit the nail on the head it is not about who is more honorable but that Broli did not hold to any at all. That was what the original statement pertained to initially.
We argue that he isn't fast because, one round of dodging aside, he didn't do anything fast. The Vegeta line? Is Vegeta an expert on LSSJ as well? That would be amusing considering it isn't even canon. Wouldn't that logic work towards USSJ2, by your logic?
The principle about power still applies regardless of whether you believe that the facts apply or not. The whole canon notion concerning Dragonball is a fallacy and it does not hold any weight because there is no way to develop one so any so-called canon is subjective at best. Regarding Ultra Super Saiyan 2 Toriyama contradicted what Vegeta said previously or you can look at it as an exception to the rule just as Super Saiyan 4 Kakarrot said that Si Xing Long was faster than he was but he held the monopoly on power out of the two.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Going back on one’s word is not strange thing for a Saiyan to do, Vegeta did it all through Freeza Saga. Super Ghost Kamikaze hit the nail on the head it is not about who is more honorable but that Broli did not hold to any at all. That was what the original statement pertained to initially.
My point is that Broli doesn't behave atypically from your average Saiyan. The three main examples we have in the manga of Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta are portrayed as conscience-free genocidal maniacs who did whatever was necessary to score a win. Raditz and Vegeta have been cited. For Nappa, one quick example is his attack on two side-lined warriors, just for shits and grins, after being ordered to stand down from the battlefield.

If we factor the anime, look at Arlia? What is so much more honorable about Vegeta's actions there over Broli's destruction of Planet Shamo out of spite? Saiyans killed weaker beings for kicks. If Broli differs, it's because he lacks structure. He grew up with no interest in the planet trade. His failings aren't in morality. He is actually a perfect example of a "True Saiyan Warrior."
The principle about power still applies regardless of whether you believe that the facts apply or not. The whole canon notion concerning Dragonball is a fallacy and it does not hold any weight because there is no way to develop one so any so-called canon is subjective at best. Regarding Ultra Super Saiyan 2 Toriyama contradicted what Vegeta said previously or you can look at it as an exception to the rule just as Super Saiyan 4 Kakarrot said that Si Xing Long was faster than he was but he held the monopoly on power out of the two.
Yes, this is subjective. That's why I don't get why you treat every source or contribution as being one solid unit. I only say that because we've had a similar discussion in the past. Toriyama didn't write or animate movie 8. So his statements, through Vegeta, weren't pertaining to Broli in any way. That doesn't necessarily mean that we can't apply them. What it does mean is that there is some level of interpretation at work. Toriyama contradicts them within his own story. Just like he had two sagas where you could very strictly calculate everyone's level, only to tell us (through Vegeta no less) that you can't make those calculations. He made and followed rules out of convenience at best. Look at Freeza. He is a prime example of your case- he muscled up and got faster. But by the same token, he contradicts USSJ2, as his muscle mass compared to his normal form was ridiculous. What about Fat Buu? His power was immense, and he had a good top speed, but he wasn't that quick. He had trouble evading blows, and when he faced an opponent of equal power he took far more hits than he dished out.

So we can't take that sentence you quoted and just slap it onto Broli without consideration. I personally think Broli is similar to Fat Buu in speed. He has a good rushing speed. He outran Vegeta when Vegeta tried to retreat (the shoulder ram I mentioned earlier). But the only time he displayed any quickness was when he dodged that one flurry. And anyone who's played a tabletop RPG can tell you that your evasion chances go up if your only action is defense :p
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:47 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:58 am

I think a lot of this "Saiyan code" stuff stems from the way the FUNimation dub depicted (or completely fucked up) the Saiya-jin.

Instead of bloodthirsty space barbarians, they are a mislead proud warrior-people who were corrupted by Freeza.

it's not like Genocide was their fucking hobby or anything. :roll:

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:29 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Wojak wrote:Well, what matters is that Vegeta saw his fight against Goku as a defeat, right?
How is that what matters? I don't see how that affects whether or not Vegeta has a code of honor, of any kind...
On the previous page, the discussion lead to that they thought that Goku won their first fight, describing all the powerups Goku had and also how he "cheated", so for the time, it was pretty much of the subject as the thread had lead to another subject.
So...yeah.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:15 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:And I don't remember any instances where he was ever around any Senzu in the Buu arc, much less had some sort of issue with them.
Majin Vegeta chows down on one after he knocks out Goku.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 am

b

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:19 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Horgus wrote:I don't think Vegeta has 'honor' in the way that we would define it, but he most certainly has a 'bushido' type credo that defines his thinking.
I'm going to ask this again; when and where is this supposed “code” of Vegeta’s demonstrated? Anywhere? Ever? Are there any tangible examples of this that you or anyone else can think of?
No.17 actually refers to Vegeta as following a bushido code when he promises to step into the fight should Trunks or the others interfere with Vegeta and No.18's battle. In this case it seems he means Vegeta's desire to fight with his enemy one on one, which does seem to be a constant Saiyan trait (see Goku and Vegeta's decision to fight Buu without using the Potara again). Though I think Bulma describes this better when she calls it "battle mania".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Again, Vegeta says all of JACK SHIT in the Japanese version of the Cell Game episodes regarding how Son Goku was handling his fight with Cell. In fact he doesn't say hardly ANYTHING at all until near the end when Goku quits the fight, which leads me to think now (as I haven't seen this particular fight dubbed) that the dub basically added in entire inner monolgogues for Vegeta that never existed in the original, that has Vegeta going on and on about a bunch of random horseshit they completely made up for him on the fly. It would by no means be the first, last, or only time they pulled something like that. Not by a long shot.
There is one part, just before Goku gives up.

Page 86, vol 18.
----
Trunks: It's [Cell's] right! We should give Goku a senzu and all turn on Cell - It's weakened enough by now!
Krillin: ...
Trunks: Krillin! Hurry, get him the senzu!
Vegeta: Shut up, Trunks! I guess you don't have a Saiyan's pride. I'm sure he'd rather choose death than win that way. He's no longer fighting just to save the Earth. Remember that.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am

b

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Can I just point out that both of those instances are *after* Vegeta becomes a Super Saiyan? I believe the issue at hand is if typical Saiyan behavior, as espoused by the species as a whole and demonstrated by the few we see in the series is different from Vegeta's code of conduct after his ascendancy into the "Super" Saiyan, and does Broli behave atypically compared to the average Saiyan.

Honestly, I think that Broli and early Vegeta are typical, and faux-bushido Vegeta from the Cell Saga is the atypical case. The "true Saiyans fight alone" attitude didn't stop Vegeta from partnering with his enemies to challenge the Ginyu, or Freeza. In fact, when he goaded Freeza into transforming, he seemed convinced that 3 on 1 odds would keep the fight in his favor. When he found out he was wrong, he tried to run away.

Saiyans were savage. Brutal. The delighted in killing for sport as much as profit. Doesn't Nappa refer to the humans he slaughters as lame dogs, or something to that effect? They also will do whatever it takes to succeed, whether that means teaming up with enemies out of convenience, attacking in greater numbers, attacking from behind, or simply waiting for a full moon. These are all demonstrated in the series. If we want to call that a loose code of ethics, fine. But Broli doesn't really deviate from that, aside from fighting alone. But until Goku juiced up from the others, there wasn't anyone near his level anyway.

Or to simplify- every cruel thing anyone can cite Broli doing, we can most likely show Nappa or Vegeta doing as well.

EDIT: Just read Kunzait's post. To compare assholes with honor codes, let's look at YYH's Hiei and DB's own Piccolo. Both of them are murderers with serious chips on their shoulders. However, they both show that when they commit to an alliance, even if they hate their teammates, it is a full commitment. Their word is bond. Hiei even says this, when questioned about his future intentions after using the Black Dragon Wave. He specifically tells them not to worry, as if betrayal is just something completely beneath him.

Compare to Vegeta, who agrees to side with Goku against Ginyu, only to book off as soon as the fight begins to try and swipe the dragon balls. He also makes it very clear (via inner monologue) when he puts Goku in the healing tank that he is only using his current allies as fodder against Freeza, and that he will very much enjoy killing them all afterwards.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 pm

I just wanna say how fascinating this discussion turned. It's all stuff I always wanted to talk through, and it's great that the thread turned that way. I briefly mentioned a bit of it during the manga review for the next podcast episode, too :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Onikage725 wrote:In fact, when he goaded Freeza into transforming, he seemed convinced that 3 on 1 odds would keep the fight in his favor. When he found out he was wrong, he tried to run away.
Not in the manga, he didn't. He stayed there and tried attacking Freeza from behind while he was distracted with Gohan.
Compare to Vegeta, who agrees to side with Goku against Ginyu, only to book off as soon as the fight begins to try and swipe the dragon balls. He also makes it very clear (via inner monologue) when he puts Goku in the healing tank that he is only using his current allies as fodder against Freeza, and that he will very much enjoy killing them all afterwards.
Piccolo was the same way, remember? It was supposed to be only an alliance to kill Raditz and afterwards he and Goku would go back to being mortal enemies.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Rocketman wrote: Piccolo was the same way, remember? It was supposed to be only an alliance to kill Raditz and afterwards he and Goku would go back to being mortal enemies.
The turnaround on that was INSANELY fast.

"MAKANKOSAPPO!

OKRADITZISDEADWEAREENEMIESNOWHAHAHAHA OOOOOOOOOOOOOH Goku's dead."

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:Piccolo was the same way, remember? It was supposed to be only an alliance to kill Raditz and afterwards he and Goku would go back to being mortal enemies.
I'd have to disagree because (if my memory is correct) Piccolo made it clear to Goku that it was a temporary alliance where as Vegeta just smooth ditched Goku a second before the battle began.
Last edited by Mike D on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.