Android 19 and Major Metallitron in GT

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Android 19 and Major Metallitron in GT

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Is it ever explained why 19 and Metallitron are in hell during the Super 17 saga? They're robots, so it doesn't really make sense.

Also, how were Gero and Myuu able to take control of the Android 17 on earth? I read somewhere that Gero slipped a mind-controlling probe through hell, but I dunno if that's ever said in the series or in the Perfect Files.

Thanks.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Major... Metallitron...?

You mean Sergeant Metallic? :?

Well, since they're complete machines, they shouldn't really be anywhere... I think that the only answer to be given here is...

IT'S GT! :D
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:38 pm

Muu and Gero figured while they were remaking 17 why not 19 and Sergeant Metallic?

Actually that's stupid, I think Tori-bot's answer is right though.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Alright, but what about my second question?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:21 pm

When's it ever said that robots don't go to the afterlife?

The Perfect Files say that No.17 was manipulated by New No.17's resonance energy and became evil. I think that's more or less the same explanation they gave in the series (basically that New No.17 brainwashed No.17), but I can't check now.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:35 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Major... Metallitron...?

Is it really worth correcting? The character was only in 1 episode...
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Satan-Sama wrote:

I'm just wondering where the Hell that came from. :?

But he was in three chapters...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:08 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Satan-Sama wrote:

I'm just wondering where the Hell that came from. :?

But he was in three chapters...
It's the dub name

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Geez, guys, seriously. Everyone knows his name is Full Metal Jacket.

:P
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, since they're complete machines, they shouldn't really be anywhere... I think that the only answer to be given here is...

Now, let us wait until Saiyan Professor comes in with one of his whack job theories regarding how we have no imagination and how GT is awesome.
[quote="Dub Vegeta"]I am a freaking genius[/quote]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:59 pm

Pitzu wrote:Now, let us wait until Saiyan Professor comes in with one of his whack job theories regarding how we have no imagination and how GT is awesome.
I'm going to ask you one last time to refrain from posting this sort of inane nonsense. There's absolutely no reason for you to outwardly attack someone that hasn't even shown up in a discussion, yet. This is unacceptable.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Pitzu wrote:

Now, let us wait until Saiyan Professor comes in with one of his whack job theories regarding how we have no imagination and how GT is awesome.
I love it when Saiyan Professer does this. You can suck an egg, bro.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I love it when Saiyan Professer does this. You can suck an egg, bro.
You don't need to defend people, and you don't need to stoop down to the same level and go into attack-mode.

Everyone, please remain on-topic, or don't bother posting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Geez, guys, seriously. Everyone knows his name is Full Metal Jacket.

I always did wonder why Viz opted to call him that. Maybe they wanted to make his name less blatently robotic sounding, so as to increase the surprise when his true nature is revealed.

It's weird that while I'm pretty sure I saw the dub episode with Metallic, I don't remember him having had a different name in the dub.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Herms wrote:I always did wonder why Viz opted to call him that. Maybe they wanted to make his name less blatently robotic sounding, so as to increase the surprise when his true nature is revealed.
Think you might be reading too much into it. They probably just thought it was funny, like "the JIGGLER!". This is the same localisation that proclaimed "Is this the end of our hero? Then how do you explain Dragon Ball Z!?", after all.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Think you might be reading too much into it. They probably just thought it was funny, like "the JIGGLER!".
The JIGGLER! is funny, good sir. :lol:

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Think you might be reading too much into it. They probably just thought it was funny, like "the JIGGLER!".
"The Jiggler" is really just an attempt at translating his name though. Buyon comes from buyo buyo, which means soft, flabby, or spongy. Things like that tend to jiggle, hence "Jiggler". But I suppose to really keep close to the original name, he should be "Jigglen" or something.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:11 pm

I don't remember when his name was mentioned in the dub of the TV series, but in DB Movie3's dub, he is called Major Metallitron in his first appearance (Ur, in the restaurant place where Upa and Bora first run into the heroes + Lunch?).

Beh, if 19 and Metallic come back, they were either rebuilt (pointlessly... XD ), or 16 has to come back with them. :mad:. Never mind that he'd have to actually get there.
Wait...
... GT following the anime where Goku could access Hell without being damned... but Piccolo had to screw himself over to get there... and... ... Pfargtl...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Re: Android 19 and Major Metallitron in GT

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:18 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Is it ever explained why 19 and Metallitron are in hell during the Super 17 saga? They're robots, so it doesn't really make sense.

Also, how were Gero and Myuu able to take control of the Android 17 on earth? I read somewhere that Gero slipped a mind-controlling probe through hell, but I dunno if that's ever said in the series or in the Perfect Files.

Thanks.
You can find a lengthy discussion on Dragonball GT and its so-called plot-holes here and here. We address some of the things you mentioned and as a bonus treat you will get an oppurtunity to read some of my "whack job theories". :roll:
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:13 am

Herms wrote:
Sprite Satan wrote:Geez, guys, seriously. Everyone knows his name is Full Metal Jacket.

I always did wonder why Viz opted to call him that. Maybe they wanted to make his name less blatently robotic sounding, so as to increase the surprise when his true nature is revealed.
I thinks it's because (at that time at least) VIZ was into pop culture references (Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket [1987]). I remember on one of the podcasts (it was between 75 and 100) Mike listed a few of VIZ's such references in their Dragonball releases, one of them being the "Hey you, get off of my cloud" line, which really seems like a poke at the Rolling Stones song.