Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Not bad. I'm not a big Faulconer fan, but that song is decent. It reminds me a little of Pink Floyd or Dream Theater.

Next: DBGT - BGM #11

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:16 am

Shiyonasan wrote:Not bad. I'm not a big Faulconer fan, but that song is decent. It reminds me a little of Pink Floyd or Dream Theater.

Next: DBGT - BGM #11
That's actually not Bruce Falconer, that's a song called "Prelude" by a band named Slaughter.

Also, that's an iconic track from GT. To me it's THE GT fight music. GT had an amazing soundtrack and that piece is no exception.

My favorite track from my favorite DBZ Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib8gyzj2fu0
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:10 am

Huh ... that wasn't the kind of music that I was expecting to hear from a Dragon Ball Z fighting game. It's a pretty great tune, though. It has a lot of interesting electronic sounds.

Also, "SEXY, SEXY, SEXY"

Next! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAm0JAnk6bg (The opening theme from the Orange Bricks)
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 am

DragonDuck wrote:Huh ... that wasn't the kind of music that I was expecting to hear from a Dragon Ball Z fighting game. It's a pretty great tune, though. It has a lot of interesting electronic sounds.

Also, "SEXY, SEXY, SEXY"

Next! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAm0JAnk6bg (The opening theme from the Orange Bricks)
I really great combination of the JPN opening theme and the classic Rock the Dragon, having the perfect combination of adventure and the "cool factor" though the endings always felt pretty weak to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEitNUVEJ5I (GT Recap V2)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:00 pm

I ****ing hate all of Mark Menza's themes in GT--that one included. They all sound the goddamn same. I may be biased because it's that OST that primarily ruined my experience watching GT, though.

Believe in Tomorrow
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I ****ing hate all of Mark Menza's themes in GT--that one included. They all sound the goddamn same. I may be biased because it's that OST that primarily ruined my experience watching GT, though.

Believe in Tomorrow
A beautiful rendition of we were angels kikuchi really is an excellent composer
Next:Unbreakable Determination!
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I ****ing hate all of Mark Menza's themes in GT--that one included. They all sound the goddamn same. I may be biased because it's that OST that primarily ruined my experience watching GT, though.

Believe in Tomorrow
A beautiful rendition of we were angels kikuchi really is an excellent composer
Next:Unbreakable Determination!
It's my favorite theme from Super, atm. Incidentally, it's the only one that really stands out to me. It's basically a variant of the SSJ3 theme from Final Chapters, and not brilliant by any means, but really exciting and pleasant to hear in the episodes.

Warrior From An Unknown Land
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Awesome atmospheric song, even if it did rip-off the song "Infinity" from Stratovarius. Perfect song to play in the Room of Spirit and Time whenever fighting in that stage. Good combination of keyboard and vocals.

Now for a classic...

Next: Kuchibue No Kimochi

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:19 am

Such a happy tune - one of my favorites. I've actually found myself whistling this to myself sometimes :D I've actually never heard this version with Gohan's vocals, but they're kinda cute - even though Gohan isn't really a vocal genius.

Speaking of Gohan ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu3zW9x ... B&index=12 (Omori Rice Boy)

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Love that song and that Hit Song Collection album. Very catchy with another great performance by Kageyama. I like the guitar and keyboard melodies.

I'll post one of my favorites from that album...

Next: Joushiki Nante NA-I-SA

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:33 pm

It's a nice relaxing song. In fact, most of the songs on this CD are great. I gave it a full listen after hearing the song above. I might buy it soon.

Next:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpzJZSKJIms

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Like you said about the song I posted, "Vegeta's Sacrifice" is pretty relaxing. It sounds sad, but full of hope. I like it, but unfortunately, I remember that, on a normal playthrough of the Budokai 3 story mode, you don't hear beyond the first few seconds of the song since it's in a short cutscene. You generally don't wait around at the end of that cutscene to listen to the full song because you want to get back to playing the game. It's still a good song, but it's placement in Budokai 3 is a bit unfortunate for my aforementioned reasons (though it accompanies Vegeta's sacrifice quite well).

Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking! was released in Japan 10 years ago yesterday. Let's do the opening song for that game...

Next: We Gotta Power! (Short version)

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 pm

One of my favourite opening songs from the series. Really love the build up at the beginning, then the song kicks up and it just becomes awesome. It's really a shame that this song doesn't get as much attention while CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA usually gets the most love, as both songs are excellent in their own right.

Next: M264

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Ah, the very last song in the Japanese version of Dragon Ball. I guess it's meant to be a somewhat nostalgic and bittersweet song since it's the end of Dragon Ball. The beginning of the song is a bit odd to me, being in a wedding scene, but I think it works pretty well overall.

Next: Hironobu Kageyama - Growin' Up Itsuka Mata Aeru Hi Made (The song begins at 5:33 in the video.)

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:42 pm

That one's pretty good. Of course, Kageyama's vocal talent shines through, and the refrain at the end was pretty grand. Kinda like how it feels when you're growin' up.

Next up: I•KU•SA

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Upa's theme is great, except for the boing sound.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:47 am

DragonDuck wrote:That one's pretty good. Of course, Kageyama's vocal talent shines through, and the refrain at the end was pretty grand. Kinda like how it feels when you're growin' up.

Next up: I•KU•SA
Pretty groovy song. Sounds like it came straight out of the 1970s. I often find myself bobbing my head when listening to it.

I like the use of the sitar in the song; it makes the song stand out. And, as always, Kageyama gives a solid performance.

Next: M1826

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 am

A solid piece, and the motif is reminiscent of the cue that plays at the conclusion of The World's Strongest too.

M-9XX-12/full code unknown? (ends at 1:15)

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:52 am

It actually reminds me a lot of Dragon Ball, I can't even remember any gong's used in Z. Love that title card intro. The rest is a nice soothing piece.

Next: One of my LEAST favorite tracks in all of Dragon Ball.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3gPlu33Gg

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:01 am

I find it to be a haunting and memorable rendition of the Tree's theme from Tree of Might. I prefer the shorter and deeper/male choir variants, though.

Next up, one of the much later renditions of the Saiyan/Super Saiyan theme: M1914