Stupidest action by a character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Stupidest action by a character?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm

It's not dumb because of that. It's dumb because Goku somehow thought it was a good idea to lower his power in front of Freeza.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's not dumb because of that. It's dumb because Goku somehow thought it was a good idea to lower his power in front of Freeza.
He didn't lower his power, his ki wasn't protecting his body because he had left his guard down.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:24 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It's not dumb because of that. It's dumb because Goku somehow thought it was a good idea to lower his power in front of Freeza.
He didn't lower his power, his ki wasn't protecting his body because he had left his guard down.
If his Ki wasn't protecting his body, then he lowered his power. If he has a "ki shield" up at all time, and lowers it in that occasion, then he's being an idiot.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:If his Ki wasn't protecting his body, then he lowered his power.
No, he had just lowered his defenses.
If he has a "ki shield" up at all time, and lowers it in that occasion, then he's being an idiot.
That's the whole point of the scene, that Goku was an idiot for letting his guard down after being too confident.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:54 pm

I know, that's why I said that Goku's decisions was the stupidest in the series, lol.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Doctor. wrote:I know, that's why I said that Goku's decisions was the stupidest in the series, lol.
I didn't argue about that, I argue about the part where you said that Goku lowered his battle power, which actually wasn't the case.

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:36 pm

All decisions made by Goku during the Buu arch, but more in more in particular, sparring with Fat Buu & Kid Buu instead of going for the kill.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:58 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Doctor. wrote:If his Ki wasn't protecting his body, then he lowered his power.
No, he had just lowered his defenses.
If he has a "ki shield" up at all time, and lowers it in that occasion, then he's being an idiot.
That's the whole point of the scene, that Goku was an idiot for letting his guard down after being too confident.
The Whis scene is used to justify this non-sensical garbage but it still makes no sense Goku does not have any natural resilience and yes, even that one can be trained to be stronger (remember when Gohan was punched in Filler but still just was knocked back and that guy hurt his hand because Gohan's face was hard as hell? yes, training, and that toughness also can defend you) and that Goku is "so arrogant" that he does not use ANY of his senses, which was part of his training when he was FIFTEEN years old. You are so relaxed that you are completely vulnerable to something like that? Sure. Then I guess Freeza had so much focus and power and guard when Namek exploded even though he was half the man he was before AND was attacked by Goku - that he still was able to "be on guard" for the explosion (that probably was way stronger than the ring) and it was not just because he was tough and resilient in general? Sure.

You can do a few scenes with fitting situations. That is not one of them. Even more ridiculous considering Sorbet was not even behind Goku (not that it would have mattered) but before him or at the side or something like that.

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: You just don't like the idea, there is no contradiction here, not even by logic. The fact that Freeza survived the explosion of Namek means that he was probably still conscious when that happened.
Yes, there is a contradiction, even by logic. Whether you like it or not, it will not change anything. The entire fact that your explanations are based on assumptions of yours to defend a point that was definitely shown illogical with other scenes shows that. Basically you have done the same thing everyone does: Read a post or listened to something, ignored the stuff (like natural resilience, the natural logic that Goku though being overconfident never was this overconfident and therefore should not be here, et cetera) and then continued to defend the opposite with selective decision to get the argument needed. And that does really not help the argument at all. And no, just because a scene that shows before "oh, Goku you tend to get so overconfident" tries to be an excuse for it does not make it a fact that suddenly ignored the rest. Do please not claim I would dislike something that can definitely be explained and already was explained as I am the one here not being selective but the one neurotically taking everything necessary into account. Everything I said had a base. The assumption that half-dead Freeza is more conscious of his surroundings than Goku and therefore can guard himself better (completely ignoring the fact that in those cases there is the natural resilience for characters as well) is based on what? Nothing.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:16 pm

The bigger thing is that at least with Sorbet's little thing, I suppose potentially the others could be of more help possibly. If a mere ray gun can nearly kill Goku at his most powerful, than perhaps Dodonpa from out of nowhere can kill a bad person who is too focused with someone else. Maybe a Makankosappo too. But I doubt that since Dragon Ball is meant to entertain, and a villain dying from something like that would be anti-climatic.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:35 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:The bigger thing is that at least with Sorbet's little thing, I suppose potentially the others could be of more help possibly. If a mere ray gun can nearly kill Goku at his most powerful, than perhaps Dodonpa from out of nowhere can kill a bad person who is too focused with someone else. Maybe a Makankosappo too. But I doubt that since Dragon Ball is meant to entertain, and a villain dying from something like that would be anti-climatic.
Movie 5 did it with Piccolo killing Salza. I can't think of another example, though.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:The bigger thing is that at least with Sorbet's little thing, I suppose potentially the others could be of more help possibly. If a mere ray gun can nearly kill Goku at his most powerful, than perhaps Dodonpa from out of nowhere can kill a bad person who is too focused with someone else. Maybe a Makankosappo too. But I doubt that since Dragon Ball is meant to entertain, and a villain dying from something like that would be anti-climatic.
I'd still like to see Piccolo or Chaotzu take out a villain at this point though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:23 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Movie 5 did it with Piccolo killing Salza. I can't think of another example, though.
Yeah but he was the henchman. I thought of that too, but the minute we saw Salza get shoved aside by Goku like he was nothing, was the minute he was no longer much of a threat. It could be said Piccolo dominating him was enough to not make him credible enough to need a big finish. So him dying like that didn't feel anti climatic since he wasn't the big bad, nor important enough to need a big finale like ending.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:06 am

Cetra wrote:The Whis scene is used to justify this non-sensical garbage but it still makes no sense Goku does not have any natural resilience and yes, even that one can be trained to be stronger (remember when Gohan was punched in Filler but still just was knocked back and that guy hurt his hand because Gohan's face was hard as hell? yes, training, and that toughness also can defend you) and that Goku is "so arrogant" that he does not use ANY of his senses, which was part of his training when he was FIFTEEN years old. You are so relaxed that you are completely vulnerable to something like that? Sure. Then I guess Freeza had so much focus and power and guard when Namek exploded even though he was half the man he was before AND was attacked by Goku - that he still was able to "be on guard" for the explosion (that probably was way stronger than the ring) and it was not just because he was tough and resilient in general? Sure.

You can do a few scenes with fitting situations. That is not one of them. Even more ridiculous considering Sorbet was not even behind Goku (not that it would have mattered) but before him or at the side or something like that.
You just don't like the idea, there is no contradiction here, not even by logic. The fact that Freeza survived the explosion of Namek means that he was probably still conscious when that happened. Goku learned to use his senses from Kami & Mr. Popo back in the day, but that doesn't mean that he is always on-guard because of that. This is exactly what this scene explains: Goku should be able to be more on-guard because of his skills, but isn't because of his overconfidence.

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:27 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Perfectionist-Cell wrote:Goku struggling with 40 tons
That's more like a plot hole.

Ok how about Vegeta not finishing cell right when he had the chance?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am

Blackstripe wrote:
Yeah, apparently there have been subtle hints throughout the series that you can be hurt by much weaker opponents if you let the ki drain from your body.
They weren't subtle. Vegeta consciously drops his Ki in front of Krillin so that Krillin can hurt him badly and Vegeta can trigger a zenkai in the Freeza arc. And it works. The problem is that is pretty stupid for Goku to do that in front of golden Freeza.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 am

I'm surprised no one else commented on Goten forgetting he could fly. TFS used that as a gag for Nappa to exaggerate his idiocy, but the same thing actually happened with Goten.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Perfectionist-Cell wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Perfectionist-Cell wrote:Goku struggling with 40 tons
That's more like a plot hole.

Ok how about Vegeta not finishing cell right when he had the chance?
That's more of being a badass. I'd do the same thing, What kind of saiyan would he be to cower from a challenge? Heck he almost killed cell anyways. The dumbest thing vegeta ever did was go Majin or Fuse with Goku to beat a villain GOku can kill himself.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:36 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:The dumbest thing vegeta ever did was go Majin or Fuse with Goku to beat a villain GOku can kill himself.
What villain are you referring to for point #2? Super Buu was far above Goku and Vegeta at that point.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:25 pm

TKB21 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:The dumbest thing vegeta ever did was go Majin or Fuse with Goku to beat a villain GOku can kill himself.
What villain are you referring to for point #2? Super Buu was far above Goku and Vegeta at that point.
I have ssj2 Vegeta and ssj3 Goku>Buuhan in terms of power level. I know people will disagree but that how I feel. If it was Gokuvs buuhan alone he'd go ssj3 and win,assuming we take away his feelings of saving the others,and vegeta only efed up thanks to goku blinding him with rage. also toei has to follow the manga and have them fuse so thank you badly written plot.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I have ssj2 Vegeta and ssj3 Goku>Buuhan in terms of power level. I know people will disagree but that how I feel. If it was Gokuvs buuhan alone he'd go ssj3 and win,assuming we take away his feelings of saving the others,and vegeta only efed up thanks to goku blinding him with rage. also toei has to follow the manga and have them fuse so thank you badly written plot.
Filler aside, didn't they both struggle pretty badly against him before fusing?