PLANNING ON VISITING TORIYAMA @NAGOYA

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: PLANNING ON VISITING TORIYAMA @NAGOYA

Post by dougo13 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Yeah, unless you got an invite or he's doing a special event, it's best to avoid trying to meet him. Not meeting Leiji Matsumoto at his house as a few friends did 5 years ago was a big letdown but I've moved past it. Not meeting someone or being disappointed is part and parcel of living anyway...

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Let's just say, for whatever reason, he opens the door and sees you. He's either gonna think that you're some obsessed fan, or that you're trying to poison him with your gift. If I was famous, I sure as hell wouldn't accept wine from a random stranger even if we spoke the same language. Do whatever you want, but I advise you to not approach it the way you are and just mail it to him with a card instead (if he accepts those kind of things).
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:42 pm

The man lives a reclusive life, and is too shy about going out in public and being acknowledged by his own people... a foreigner doing this has got to be a nightmare for someone with his personality.

He wants to be left alone, and whatever kind gestures you may have would only be taken as negatively, self-serving.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:01 pm

If you indeed do it, I hope he calls the police on you for not understanding as a fan that he is a very reserved person.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:02 pm

It sounds like you are screwed. If he's not accepting mail, it would probably still be very rude to knock on the door, drop your gift off, and leave.

And, uh, I don't know anything about gift-giving or gift-getting, but wine sounds like an extremely odd gift for a stranger. He's not expecting anything; he'd probably think you were trying to poison him.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Scenario:

OP: *Knocks door with wine in hand*
Toriyama: *Opens*
OP: Hola, señor Toriyama! Yo soy un gran fanáti--
Toriyama: *Takes wine and closes door*
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Scenario:

OP: *Knocks door with wine in hand*
Toriyama: *Opens*
OP: Hola, señor Toriyama! Yo soy un gran fanáti--
Toriyama: *Takes wine and closes door*
LOL! This is great!
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:51 pm

I wouldn't bother him, If I remember correctly, he said in a past interview that he had to move because he was getting so many visitors. He's a private person, he doesn't even show his face in interviews any more, probably because he doesn't want more people to recognize him in public and approach him requesting autographs.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Don't listen to these naysayers. In fact, take it to the next level. Dress up as Goku and break through one of his windows to show your devotion.
I Imagined someone doing this, and Toriyama just looking at Goku, and thinking his creation came to kill him and well... I laughed for 10 minutes, I'm ashamed of myself. Don't look at me!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:34 pm

*Fan appeared*
Fan: "Toriyama-san, where are you!? Please accept this as my sign of thankfulness!"
*Toriyama-san behind curtain*
Toriyama-san: "Damnit! Not those crazy fans again. That was number 9001 today!"
Fan: "Toriyama-san! Where are you!?"
*Toriyama-san uses Instant Transmission*
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 am

Aritz182 wrote:I get the point of all of you guys, 100%, and it is true, their culture is completely different, he is a shy guy, he has a message asking for privacy and so on.

But tell me, honestly, if you guys were in front of his door with a little present for him wouldn't you try to give him on hand? I just don't wanna come back to Spain thinking that I were at his front door and did not even try to knock once to see if he was there and give him this little present on hand :cry:

PS. And no, I am not gonna go there with any Dragon Ball merchandise with me, just my Vans, my pants, my hoodie and my backpack.
I JUST DON'T WANNA
And there it is. This isn't about doing anything for him. This is about you, your wishes, and what YOU want. This thread has almost unanimously said "It's a bad idea. Don't do it." but you always come back with something like "Yeaaah...I GET THAT....BUUUT...." just stop. The man is very private. He doesn't like a lot of attention. He has notes on his home saying not to bother him. You'd have to be out of it to not get the message after all of this. It would be rude and selfish to try to do this after what everyone in the thread has told you.

If you respected Toriyama, you wouldn't do it. Period.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 am

Si de verdad eres fan suyo, y sabes que quiere que le dejen tranquilo, déjalo tranquilo. Es el mejor favor que le puedes hacer.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:56 am

Well, it seems that most you guys know Toriyama better than himself for what you have read in a interview made many years ago, or what he is gonna think, like I am trying to poison him or whatever... maybe is what you you would think, but let me get the point of this, you guys are not Toriyama, so let see what happens, if he kicks my balls are gonna be my balls, not yours.

I am sure he is a shy person, and he is not going to open the door if he sees himself "attacked". But come on, I am sure he had crazy visitors back in the 90s, not now a days. I find it way crazier stoping him while he is walking on the street than knocking on his door.

I do wanna seem any kind of rude to all you guys, I've share my idea, you can be OK with it, or not, doesn't go any further. Even if I knock his door I do not think I am kind of disturbing somehow his nirvana. He just gonna say NO, and that's it. (or thank you)

Anyway, I am gonna keep moving on with my plan, I let you guys know what happened, maybe I end up in Guantanamo.

PS.
Big Momma wrote: It would be rude and selfish to try to do this after what everyone in the thread has told you.
I did not ask any permission to you, I just shared my idea, I will do whatever I wanna do, even if 10.000.000 people tell not to. It seems kind crazy, cause in an spanish forum everyone is telling me that is such an awesome idea, and worst case scenario, he is not gonna open de door and I will leave the package at his front door.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:03 am

Dress up like a Pizza delivery person and say you were told to take the Pizza and whatever else to that address. :D

After he takes it and turns his back,knock him out and run inside and steal Super's script and post it here. :twisted:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:37 am

sintzu wrote:Dress up like a Pizza delivery person and say you were told to take the Pizza and whatever else to that address. :D

After he takes it and turns his back,knock him out and run inside and steal Super's script and post it here. :twisted:
This is pure genius. He won't see it coming. :lol:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:48 am

Aritz182 wrote:I get the point of all of you guys, 100%, and it is true, their culture is completely different, he is a shy guy, he has a message asking for privacy and so on.

But tell me, honestly, if you guys were in front of his door with a little present for him wouldn't you try to give him on hand? I just don't wanna come back to Spain thinking that I were at his front door and did not even try to knock once to see if he was there and give him this little present on hand :cry:

PS. And no, I am not gonna go there with any Dragon Ball merchandise with me, just my Vans, my pants, my hoodie and my backpack.
No, I wouldn't, because I can imagine myself in the place of a successful writer, like Toriyama, and I would absolutely HATE fanboys disturbing me in the privacy of my home. Therefore, I wouldn't do that to Toriyama.

It's one thing to approach people like Toriyama in conventions and things like that, and another completely different thing to do it in their private life. Thinking that that's ok is the same as thinking that it's ok for them to not really have a private life without being constantly disturbed by fanboys and fangirls. They don't deserve that just because they are famous writers so, no, that's not ok.
Aritz182 wrote:Well, it seems that most you guys know Toriyama better than himself for what you have read in a interview made many years ago, or what he is gonna think, like I am trying to poison him or whatever... maybe is what you you would think, but let me get the point of this, you guys are not Toriyama, so let see what happens, if he kicks my balls are gonna be my balls, not yours.
Your logic is that he might not mind and might even enjoy being disturbed in his house, despite him apparently being a very private person, and if he doesn't, there's no real problem because it's "your balls", not anyone else? You do realize that if everyone followed that logic, people like Toriyama would be constantly harassed by fans in his home and wherever he was, right? What did Toriyama ever do to deserve that?
Last edited by rereboy on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:49 am

Relevant for the topic at hand.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:16 am

I get the feeling we will never see you ever again if you do that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am

Cetra wrote:I get the feeling we will never see you ever again if you do that.
Didt't know Toriyama's doorbell had a 100.000 volt bottom attached to it. :o

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:38 am

How exactly do you think an older Japanese man will react to a foreigner slamming on his door with a bottle of alcohol in his hand?

Don't be an asshole. Leave the man alone.

Although, from what I'm getting from this thread, you are an asshole, and you will do it anyway because "you wanna." Way to stick it to the man, I guess.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"