New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Kendamu wrote:You mean asking for 4:3 aspect ratio is ungrateful? All they would've had to do is not mess with the aspect ratio in the first place which would've saved them a lot of effort in re-centering the picture in every freakin' frame so that they would lose as little as possible.

Yep, it would be ungrateful for me to ask FUNi to put less effort into something. Personally, I would've been happy with something similar to the Ocean dubs of the first three movies. Fullscreen, subtitled version, and dub with original music. No need to remaster it for me. It's supposed to be cheap. Why go to all that effort when they could've easily gotten $50 from me just by saving themselves the trouble and making it 4:3
The thing is, if FUNi didn't use this wide-screen method (where we lose overall only 8% of the top and 8% the bottom respectively), then they would've had to perform the "pan-and-scan" issue they did with their diga-beta masters and subsequent previous DVD releases. With the "pan-and-scan", we not only lose that extra horizontal content plus more that you'd see on the Dragonbox, but we lose the top and bottom anyway; with it being barely better than the wide-screen situation IMO. It would either have to be cropping pan-and-scan, or cropping wide-screen. It's a lose-lose situation that we've just gotta accept, because if FUNi could've had the "Glue" cleaned, they would've. They and the remastering studio they hired have done the best job they can in every conceivable aspect outside of buying the actual Dragonbox masters. Really the only thing, IMO, that warrants any complaints anymore is just the manner in which FUNi has been skewing their way around marketing this in the recent trailers by avoiding the "cropping" subject and using footage from the movies, and really, I personally couldn't give a rat's ass about that anymore.

When it all comes down to it, because of the "Glue" issue which FUNi clearly couldn't avoid without cropping in some way, they chose what they think is the best route. What would you have rather had, the pan-and-scan situation (and with wide-screen televisions, it'd be cropped even more), or this wide-screen solution? Me, I'll save my decision for when I'm watching the episodes on my home entertainment system. I'm still no question buying each and every set, nothing is stopping me. You guys do what you will.

And with that, I bid you crackers -- Conan
So, you're sort of offering me this "either or" choice. Here's what I choose: I want to see the series done in the style of this set.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:04 pm

(I made an edit to my previous post to fix some errors)
MajinVejitaXV wrote:You're telling me they could digitally paint 'H-ercule' over signs, underwear onto Goku, and so forth...but they couldn't fix glue damage with digital paint like Toei/Pony Canyon did? I call bullshit, no offense to you.
-Corey
I don't know if that would work as well as how Toei and Pony Canyon pulled it off. They had access to the original of the original film prints and much time on their hands. FUNi simply have a "copy" of the original film, as seen with how the color scheme doesn't match exactly up in the comparisons with the released screen-caps. Attempting to pull their own digital painting technique would take an excessive amount of work as they'd literally have to do it frame-by-frame for each episode. Looking back at their edit dub, a lot of their paint work was pretty crappy anyway, I mean Blue Marron's yellow posterior or Goku's fishful of dollars just looked ridiculous. Well, I'm basically just judging off what I've seen of the digital painting in the days of the Garlic Jr. and original DB edit dubs. If FUNi did attempt to digitally cover the "Glue" in their frame-by-frame method I've read of, I personally think the animation would look very horrible.

And my fault for confusing the "pan-and-scan" term with their different "zooming-in" method for the digi-beta masters.
14 years later

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:49 pm

Um...Just some clarification, the new sets MSRP is supposed to be $49.99 right? According to that Navarre Product Info page, the MSRP is $29.99, was it always $29.99 and I was just mistaken?

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:44 am

Victator Supreme wrote:But pitching over a small portion of the screen being obscured (which 99% of the shows audience will be unaware of.) is very anal retentive.
No, it's the most logical and crucial of all things to bitch over. I mean, I hate the dub, so I mostly just ignore it, but this is insanity in the world of animation. You're right that a lot of people probably wouldn't even notice (I'd say more like 50%, not 99%), but they're still basically ruining the animation as far as I'm concerned. And the thing that pisses me off about it is that us "old-school 19dickity3 fullscreen geezers" are being labelled as wild fanboys. Now don't get me wrong, I am a wild DragonBall fanboy, but this issue has more to do with flat-out common sense above all else.

The problem here is that there's no vocal majority on this issue, so FUNimation can get away with doing whatever the hell they want and nobody outside these uber-nerd message boards will give a damn. DBZ is just some stupid Japanese show where spikey-haired, muscle-bound aliens scream at eachother, so nobody really pays attention either way.

Let's put it this way, can you imagine what would happen if FOX announced that they'd be releasing The Simpsons in widescreen? There'd be blood in the streets! Just looking at the show, you can see that a widescreen release would completely ruin the original intent of the animators, and essentially completely destroy the series. The only difference is, since it's a very popular American cartoon, there'd be a vocal majority speaking out against this and most people would end up jumping on the issue as well. I mean, something like this would probably make national headlines..."The Destruction of an American Classic" (aside from continuing beyond season 10, zing!).

Ugh, it's just so frustrating... I mean, if this were any American cartoon, hell even the obscure shit, they'd never get away with this. But because it's some foreign show, nobody gives a damn...it's sad really.

Whatever, I guess destroying animation for the purpose of pleasing current-gen hardware owners is ok now. Hell, I hope Disney re-releases all their classic cartoons in widescreen, those black bars on the sides are soooo ugly on my HDTV...oh, but that's just crazy-talk, those are classic American cartoons from the Golden Age after all, and DBZ is just some foreign show from 1989, so who gives a fuck... :roll:
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:43 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Attempting to pull their own digital painting technique would take an excessive amount of work as they'd literally have to do it frame-by-frame for each episode.
If I'm not mistaken, this is what the DragonBoxes did anyways though, right?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 am

Ayup. Frame-by-frame restoration. The real question is (and it's a good one at that), did Toei do an HD master or an SD one? People at AnimeonDVD are debating it.

-Corey
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:52 pm

If I remember correctly, FUNi is supposedly also doing a frame-by-frame restoration. So, it's not like it's much more effort than they're already putting into it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:23 pm

For all of you who are curious, this author says that this clip of the Goku VS Turles battle is from Dragon Box The Movies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WDibdY9W9g

Do you see how Goku's shirt looks so bright yet this isn't bootlegged, which proves that the Japanese version doesen't look as bad as some pictures posted here.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:For all of you who are curious, this author says that this clip of the Goku VS Tullece battle is from Dragon Box The Movies...

Do you see how Goku's shirt looks so bright yet this isn't bootlegged, which proves that the Japanese version doesen't look as bad as some pictures posted here.
Make it stop, please Lord, make it stop...

-Corey
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:41 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:For all of you who are curious, this author says that this clip of the Goku VS Tullece battle is from Dragon Box The Movies...

Make it stop, please Lord, make it stop...

-Corey
I wasn't posting it for a comparison, I just noticed that the author wrote "Fight between Goku and Turles(Japanese)from Dragonbox the Movies!!!" so I was asking you now if it was bootleg or real?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:I wasn't posting it for a comparison, I just noticed that the author wrote "Fight between Goku and Tullece(Japanese)from Dragonbox the Movies!!!" so I was asking you now if it was bootleg or real?
Well, first of all, it's been recompressed as a flash movie so it's nowhere near the quality of the original MPEG-2 stream. Could it have been ripped from the DragonBox? Sure. It's still not an accurate depiction, since the first thing to go out the window with compression are colors, brightness and contrast.

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 pm

That, and it was all vertically stretchy. Ew.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:Do you see how Goku's shirt looks so bright yet this isn't bootlegged, which proves that the Japanese version doesen't look as bad as some pictures posted here.
Ugh... here we go again...

Screenshot of what you referrenced

Actual DragonBox Movies scene...

I really don't see anything wrong with the colors in the DragonBox version...

Interesting responses on the YouTube page though:
OMG THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY POSSIBLE ON YOUTUBE!!! you can actually watch this in full screen. thank you so much for this upload. what did you do differently that no one else does?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:17 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:Do you see how Goku's shirt looks so bright yet this isn't bootlegged, which proves that the Japanese version doesen't look as bad as some pictures posted here.
Ugh... here we go again...

Screenshot of what you referrenced

Actual DragonBox Movies scene...

I really don't see anything wrong with the colors in the DragonBox version...

Interesting responses on the YouTube page though:
OMG THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY POSSIBLE ON YOUTUBE!!! you can actually watch this in full screen. thank you so much for this upload. what did you do differently that no one else does?
That's strange why does the colour red and blue colour of Goku's shirt look really brigher then all the rest in the image, is it because the Dragon Box Movies had the grain removed in them unlike their episode DVD's?

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Could you snip the images that are right above your post, please? :?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Gokuden553 wrote: That's strange why does the colour red and blue colour of Goku's shirt look really brigher then all the rest in the image, is it because the Dragon Box Movies had the grain removed in them unlike their episode DVD's?
Could be that a different studio animated the movie. The ink colors are not always going to be the same from studio to studio. This is just my opinion though. :P

P.S. Some of your sentences are kind of hard to understand, just that I'd let ya' know.

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:36 am

ect5150 wrote:Interesting responses on the YouTube page though:
Ah, hahaha *Cough* even someone posted said this aswell...
Thanks for the Request Man! This has Even Better Quality then my FUCKimation DVD!!!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Someone also posted this :D
gokuden553 wrote:
Wow that's amazing quality, I never knew the Japanese Dragon Box Movie releaces got a fullscreen option aswell.
They never got a fullscreen option. It's just stretched to fit 4:3.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Eclipse wrote:Someone also posted this :D
gokuden553 wrote:
Wow that's amazing quality, I never knew the Japanese Dragon Box Movie releaces got a fullscreen option aswell.
They never got a fullscreen option. It's just stretched to fit 4:3.
They all suffer from I. D. Ten T. errors.
ect5150

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:46 am

At the end of the day, and I have given this much consideration.

They didn't do this to promote it as being widescreen.

Outside of their 2 trailers, and their 'technical explanations' they've mentioned widescreen NOWHERE.

As far as we know, it isn't on the box, it doesn't appear in the solicitation, anyone looking around would probably think it is just 'remastered' dbz in a boxset.

It has nothing to do with promotion, it was just them being cheapfucks on the remastering, they can claim 1080p for future HD versions, and they can claim how great it looks without having to deal with 'but there is glue there' or having to actually pay to fix the problems.

And that just makes it far far sadder then even their other bullshit excuse of 'it's more cinematic' because at least then you could say it was an artistic choice, and it has become clearly obvious it isn't even that, it's just them being cheap fucks.