"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:29 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Noah wrote:Also about Mr. Satan, well... He's intended to be a joke character, not like Yamcha and Krillin that are/were serious fighters which are marked in the series by their constant deaths and defeats.
Goku, Vegeta, and almost all the other characters are constantly defeated too. True, they go on to have a victory in the end more often than other characters get to sadly, but if we're going to count losing a fight against a character's coolness factor, than Goku and Vegeta should be pretty low on that listing by now too. As should Piccolo, given that he's lost to Goku (twice if you want to count Daimao), Raditz, Nappa, Freeza, Android 17 (talking about before the Kami powerup), Cell, and Super Boo.

If winning a fight is all it takes to make a character cool or engaging, then nobody in the series is that 100% of the time.
I think you missed my point either that or I didn't say clearly. Goku and Vegeta had their defeats for plot development purposes, we can't have a series where the main characters always win. What I meant to say about Yamcha and Krillin is not only about their losses but in fact the way that they lose. Their portrayal (specifically in the anime and specifically Yamcha) that they're worthless in the series now, just serving for gags and comedy reliefs.

dbzfan7 wrote:He'll fail of course cause LOLGOHAN and probably curse himself for not being able to do anything to avenge Piccolo. Then he'll immediately forget about that once all is said and done to go back to his job doing..........er.......some dumb thing apparently because it's not important enough for us to know what that is.
I would pretty much enjoy if we actually see Gohan character development after his former mentor death. He could start thinking about how useless he was and that he can't rely on his father power forever, maybe then starting to train again and back to his prime. It's not like Gohan is a fight hunger like full-blooded Saiyans, but is that he must be aware that he is one of those in charge to protect his family and the whole planet.

Oh I can dream of something like that actually happening in this series :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Are you kidding? Super has only made Goku MORE in character and MORE in line with what Toriyama believes it to be. Goku here is more selfish about getting stronger than ever before.
In Super, while Goku is still dissatisfied that he became stronger with the help of others, he is also excited with the kind of power he obtained. In BoG, he disliked the power of SSG, until he managed to absorb its power. Toriyama also said that Goku doesn't like the power of SSG because he doesn't think it's fair to become stronger with the help of others. And don't forget that whatever his involvement with Super BoG & FnF arcs is (assuming there is any), he isn't more involved with them than he was with the movies, where he personally wrote their entire scripts.

As for Kuririn, this is definitely Toei's Kuririn, since he keeps getting treated like trash. In BoG, he is treated as a joke like in the movies (when he eats that spicy food with his usual "why is it always me?!" catchphrase from the anime), he is scared to fight Beerus and finds silly excuses in order not to fight, and he is scared of fighting Freeza's weak soldiers, even though he is was the 3rd strongest of the Z-Warriors.

That was the shittiest moment in the franchise IMO. At first, I got excited with the idea that Kuririn is scared of Freeza, since he killed him. But it turns out he is actually scared of the soldiers... And everyone acts as if he is in danger, and he needs encouragement from Kame-sennin, who tells him that their movements appear slow because Kuririn has seen the fights with Cell, Boo, and Beerus. No, that's not the reason they appear to be slow, it's because Kuririn is too strong for them! They are treating the strongest Earthling as if this is Saiyan arc Gohan, which is really disappointing.

And as for the scene you mentioned in FnF, where Kuririn hits a tree and gets saved by Gohan, that's Toei's work too. That scene isn't in Toriyama's script.

The movies are also written, according to Toriyama, as if the manga was still in serialization. Super BoG/FnF are written as continuations of the anime, which is why Gregory, Mr. Satan's crew, and Frog Ginyu from the anime appear in Super. The Champa arc from the Super manga fits fine with the original manga & the movies so far, so we'll see how the Champa arc of the anime fits as well, but the Super BoG & FnF arcs don't fit with the manga.
They-uh... they do. Mr. Satan's crew are nods to the characters, but they're not even outright named, and nothing about them directly references the time they tried to fight Cell. Ginyu as a frog was in the manga too, nothing contradictory there. And what he showed in flashbacks is also not contradicted by the manga, but DOES run contradictory to the anime's depiction of what happened to him afterward.. Anime had him becoming some sort of Frog King. Also you're kinda taking the term "observed" as being literally the word "seen', and that's not the case. It's saying he's gained experience from fighting alongside and against all of them at one point. It's also playing into an ongoing character arc wherein Krillin's self-confidence has taken a massive hit. I mean really, when you're minimally impactful in a fight, when you're so much stronger than normal but the next guy up is leagues above you, your own wife is, your best friend who you trained alongside achieved god-tier power and a single punch almost hospitalized you... yeah, you begin to very much doubt your own ability. ...and frankly, Gregory is nitpicking. Toriyama actually liked Gregory a lot when he first saw him, and all this would mean is he decided to actually introduce the character into his series. So far I'm not seeing anything super canon-breaking about it either.

Also, where the hell are you getting Super being as a continuation of the anime over the manga? He said that the series was a complete continuation of the Majin Buu saga. Complete. As in total. As in "not a spinoff".
Since we have a thread for this now, I'll take my reply there.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:02 pm

So this is the actual ending theme of db super from light crimson right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6Pas-Tj0E

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:24 pm

Nope. A lot of Japanese youtubers tend to upload videos that say the song in them, but just use some royalty free song and talk about the news of the song

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:They're not going to permanently kill off Piccolo. Even if we didn't know about the tournament, it's exactly the same thing that GT did. And one thing Super is trying to do is distance itself from GT.

And Piccolo has barely done anything this entire series. Killing him off now wouldn't be the best send-off to his character.
If they kill off Piccolo for good in Super then a lot of fans will be mad. I remember a lot of fans got mad that GT killed off Piccolo since they didn't like how he died by having him die when the Earth blow up from the Black Star Dragon Balls. The Super manga mention him joining the U7 team against U6. They would be lying to a lot of fans hoping that he would have a bigger role in Super if they have him die. Not to mention, we saw him at the end of DBZ. So we know he will be back sooner or later.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:40 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... pot/.96352

Oh, there's some awesome stuff in this lottery! Majin Buu's Head as Candy Pot was a great idea. :)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... pot/.96352

Oh, there's some awesome stuff in this lottery! Majin Buu's Head as Candy Pot was a great idea. :)
Is that supposed to be the shell of Cell's larva form in the background of Gohan's shot glass? Very nice prizes all around! :D

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:19 pm

SSGSS Goku wrote:Nope. A lot of Japanese youtubers tend to upload videos that say the song in them, but just use some royalty free song and talk about the news of the song
This. that's not the song, these new song announcements always use random music.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:52 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... pot/.96352

Wow, those prizes are awesome!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:10 am

Sounds like I'll like the new ED more than the current one but not the 1st
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:01 am

Sodhi wrote:So this is the actual ending theme of db super from light crimson right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6Pas-Tj0E
No, thats just a random music they put to announce the new ending, its not the actual music.
Also, if you click in the first link in the description is another announcement with the same music playing :P
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:34 am

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:29 pm

While waiting for the Episode 23 thread, Vegeta had finally killed off Ginyu.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:35 pm

In the BD/DVD, is Yanami still Kaio in the first episodes or his lines were remade by that other guy?
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Sandubadear wrote:In the BD/DVD, is Yanami still Kaio in the first episodes or his lines were remade by that other guy?
Still Yanami.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 pm

If Yamcha did join the fight against Freeza in Super then do you think Toei would have Yamcha and Tien do the fusion dance against Freeza's army?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:49 am

Sandubadear wrote:In the BD/DVD, is Yanami still Kaio in the first episodes or his lines were remade by that other guy?
It would be seriously disrespectful to redub Yanami. Fortunately that's not how they operate.
Seriously, Japanese fans would rage.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:37 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Yamcha did join the fight against Freeza in Super then do you think Toei would have Yamcha and Tenshinhan do the fusion dance against Freeza's army?
It took us forever to get Gotenks to join the fight. I don't think we'd see Tiencha any time soon.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:21 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If Yamcha did join the fight against Freeza in Super then do you think Toei would have Yamcha and Tenshinhan do the fusion dance against Freeza's army?
It took us forever to get Gotenks to join the fight. I don't think we'd see Tiencha any time soon.
Am I missing something is it officially stated anywhere that tiencha be really a thing or is it made up fan service??
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:00 am

Tenshinhan and Yamcha never learned fusion dance, so no.