900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:20 pm

Last edited by Taku128 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
­

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:Hey guys, I'll have the set in my hands tomorrow so I'll give you my thoughts on it. I'll also be able to watch it on my HDTV with an up-convert DVD player connected by HDMI. That means I'll be able to watch it in the standard progressive scan of 480p and also in 1080i. I'll let you know what i think of the remastering from that setup. I plan on watching it on a regular TV hooked up with composite cables and then in the setup above.
Well heck man, thanks! But, I don't think it's gonnachnage my mind in buying this crappy set. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:28 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1697274

OK... enough of this now! :p
Okay, besides, to get FUNimation sued we'd need a prosecuter who's truley ruthless, but who?>_> I just had to do it
­

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:36 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1697274

OK... enough of this now! :p
This one works better.

Just keeping things slightly interesting... :D
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Guys, seriously... let's please get this back on topic... ;)

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:53 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Guys, seriously... let's please get this back on topic... ;)
Well, okay. o3o

I think the reason there aren't any example clips up yet is because not everyone who has the set already has the ripping software to get them straight from the DVD. I'm not sure if this is exactly the case, but it seems like a reasonable explanation. If you really desperately want to see clips, you'll probably have to wait a while longer before somebody actually makes them... so be patient in the meantime. I'm thinking about giving it a try once I get mine (though it'll probably be mid-to-late February by that time, and somebody might have already put up some clips before then, so I don't know... ).

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:19 pm

I'll be getting mine guarenteed before Friday next week. If there is no clips by then, I'll try to post one.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:03 am

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 am

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:08 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Dragonball Z Perfect - The Definitive Collection? What a stupid stupid name.
What does this mean? Are they releasing it in a larger set now?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:20 am

Are you implying that there might be "White Sword" and "Master Sword" versions of these sets coming out at some point in the future? Same kind of weapon, but packs several times the wallop?

That actually'd be pretty sweet, yo. Now if only they could get those out faster... don't really want to be pushing around gravestones for 'em. :lol:

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:02 am

... What have we done, the objection one has returned. I kind of like the duhduhduhduh thought. But still, why can't they just make changes to the UUE to avoid the widescreen. If they did that, it would have beenm perfect...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:27 am

Because the majority is ingorant even upon viewing the trailers or they just don't give a damn.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Post by 707 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 am

I'm pretty excited for this set, even with all of the pictures posted here. Maybe I've just seen the episodes so many times that I don't care, or maybe I just like the way stuff looks on a widescreen TV way too much.

I had a similar issue with the remastered Transformers movie, recently. Except in that case, they included the original full screen version on a seperate disc. I found myself enjoying the widescreen version better, simply because it looked so much more dynamic on the HDTV. From what I see here, nothing of any importance is lost in the cropping. I wonder if the colors are that bright on an actual TV, though. The Transformers DVD was "remastered" by simply brightening the original frames of animation, and then cleaning up the fuzz. No actual color correcting or digital painting. It seems from these shots that the same technique was used for the DBZ discs.

Still, I can't wait to get my set. I hope Target gets them in, so I can use my discount.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:33 am

Transformers the Movie was FRAMED widescreen

It was known by the animators it was gonna be shown in theaters, so the movie was animated fullscreen, with everything outside the bars made 'worthless' or dead space

That is the case with the DBZ movies also

It IS NOT the case with the DBZ tv shows

TF looked more dynamic in widescreen because that was its 'true' aspect ratio.

also, the film for TF the movie WAS fixed up quite a bit.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:30 am

Every time I mention this to friends, they rudely cut me off and start to explain to me how with wide screen you actually see more of the picture. The average consumer's knee jerk reaction to wide screen nowadays is that it's a good thing. Also, that the company would intentionally chop the bottom and top off to make it pseudo-wide screen is so ludicrous it doesn't even enter their minds.

I'm not sure if this is useful in the discussion but I just think it's funny that I got the same exact conversation from several of my friends.

Me - They are finally releasing DBZ on season sets. *goes down list of all the cool things.*
Them - Cool.
Me - But... the one gay thing is that it's in wide screen.
Them - Hahaha, you're dumb. With wide screen you actually see more of the picture.
Me - No you don't, they chopped the tops and bottoms off.
Them - (condescending, arg!) No they didn't. They are actually squeezing it down so you see everything on both sides.
Me - I'm not a fucking moron. Think for a second, a show animated for standard frame television, there is nothing missing on the sides!
Them - ... whatever. So, last night me and--

Yeah, frustrating. You gotta imagine some of the people involved with this were scratching their heads like "Are you sure?"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 am

My friends either agree with me, don't care in the first place, or have heard it out of me a few times already and are just like "We know" and change the conversation to something relevant like school, work, or Bleach.
(they/she)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 am

I was never much of a pro-widescreen person anyway in general...I like to use my entire TV for viewing stuff.

Anyways, I saw the set at FYE for $44.99. I kinda looked at it and set it back down and went and looked at CD's. If I do get it, Best Buy will have it cheaper next week.

I thought I'd be enthuis'd when I saw it, but it was just kinda like...a personification of bad corporate manuvers.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 am

Wait. FYE having anime?

I've heard of no such thing at my local FYE. They just kind of left the shelves bare for a long time, then they bought Suncoast's anime from them when they were closing and sold it dirt cheap and they haven't restocked since then.
(they/she)