"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:56 am

I'm almost expecting them to incorporate DBO/XV material into the story, as Future Trunks implies time travel, and possibly bad stuff happening in the future. Toriyama had some involvement with DBO's plot, right?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:01 am

I'm near certain he was involved in DBO's plot. I loved the tragimance ending DBO gave Gokû and Vegeta; pulled all of my heart-strings that did.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:04 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm near certain he was involved in DBO's plot. I loved the tragimance ending DBO gave Gokû and Vegeta; pulled all of my heart-strings that did.
If Future Trunks does appear in Super and it follows DBO Storyline, I actually hope they show this!. like Trunks telling Bulma or anyone else about this. And then everyone wants to advice Goku and Vegeta against this, but they understand they cannot strip them of their last wish so they keep quiet about it and enjoy their time together as much as they can.

That would be so cool
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:05 am

I just saw this tweet and wanted to clarify some misinformation that's going around:

What Rhymestyle said isn't actually accurate. Toriyama really did say that he "figured (he) should save it(white hair SSJ transformation) for another occasion.":

Last edited by SaiyaSith on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:07 am

The only information we have on the matter is that Toriyama had to sign off on every part of Dragon Ball Online. He did designs for at least 5 years, but there's no recorded information about him having anything to do with any of the plot details. Unfortunately, anything about that is speculation with no evidence.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:11 am

Black_Liger wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm near certain he was involved in DBO's plot. I loved the tragimance ending DBO gave Gokû and Vegeta; pulled all of my heart-strings that did.
If Future Trunks does appear in Super and it follows DBO Storyline, I actually hope they show this!. like Trunks telling Bulma or anyone else about this. And then everyone wants to advice Goku and Vegeta against this, but they understand they cannot strip them of their last wish so they keep quiet about it and enjoy their time together as much as they can.

That would be so cool

It'd be an incredible watch, imo. I'd really like to see it if Super does incorporate DBO plot-stuff.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:13 am

I never thought I'd say it, but with Super's current production values...I hope they stay the hell away from Goku and Vegeta's final fight. It deserves better animation than anything we've seen in Super thus far, and do NOT even get me started of choreography.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:20 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I never thought I'd say it, but with Super's current production values...I hope they stay the hell away from Goku and Vegeta's final fight. It deserves better animation than anything we've seen in Super thus far, and do NOT even get me started of choreography.
The animation is getting a lot better than what it was before Toriyama said something. The last few episodes have been really great. We can only hope it gets better now that they're getting used to drawing the characters every week.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:25 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The only information we have on the matter is that Toriyama had to sign off on every part of Dragon Ball Online. He did designs for at least 5 years, but there's no recorded information about him having anything to do with any of the plot details. Unfortunately, anything about that is speculation with no evidence.
Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

It would be nice if we got to know more about what more specific involvement, if any, he had. Unfortunately most of these interviews just ask Super run of the mill questions.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:31 am

"Saving it for another occassion" doesn't imply "oh, we are getting a new transformation soon" -- it seems to imply the opposite. If in the future, sometime long after the "white haired villain" comes along, there is a need for a new transformation, he has white as a color to use. But it doesn't sound like there are any plans for now for a new transformation. Only plans for a villain who would clash with a white haired transformation.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 am

Now I'm ready for Future Trunks. I just realized how much weirdness Future Trunks is gonna be faced with when he comes back. He hasn't seen Gokû and Vegeta since the Cell arc. There is comedic potential in him meeting them as they are in Super now.

Also the Great Saiyaman. Future Trunks needs to meet Great Saiyaman.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 am

Another time-travel story could mean that they don't need to respect EoZ anymore. "History has been changed due to my interference" is a common staple in this kind of stories, and has happened before in dragon ball.
That could be a mess or an interesting development...

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:42 am

irreality wrote:"Saving it for another occassion" doesn't imply "oh, we are getting a new transformation soon"

Nobody was saying that we're getting a new transformation "soon", only repeating what Toriyama said:

Rhymestyle said that Toriyama was referring to the next villain, which isn't accurate:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 am

Isn't Rhymestyle one of those guys who makes money off of spreading false rumors? I feel like he's come up in conversation before in this context.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:11 am

I guess this interview should ultimately show Toriyama-san has no problem with other people writing plot for Dragon Ball.

Seeing how Toyble had his own post-GT story he maybe is even interested in writing something about that as well. But we will see.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:13 am

Holy shit.

Future Trunks, hopefully we will see the mature, ripped and older version of him that we saw at the end of Cell Saga, where he had defeated Cell in his own timeline. I'd hate to see Time Patrol version, that version of Trunks still looks like a teenager and his outfit is fucking ugly.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 am

Araki wrote:Did they just upload the whole interview? That's surprising.

EDIT: Herms is translating bits on his twitter. Some very interesting stuff..

Q: Why is SSB blue?
Toriyama: "First I was going to have it be white, but that would clash with the 'next enemy', so I saved it for later."

Toyotaro: "Having read the new plot, I'm glad a certain character related to the future is getting involved. I'm a big fan!"

Holy shit. The obvious guess would be Trunks, but...
This could also mean a character who is involed in the story now will have a big part in future story arcs.

Future Trunks is not coming back there is no reason for him to. Piccolo fans better hope that my interpretation is right as it cpuld be him.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:58 am

Future Trunks will appear with white SS hair. Calling it now.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:00 am

What does Piccolo have to do with the future? I guess you've interpreted as in the future might contain Piccolo but that's a very strange way to word it. I feel like it has to be Trunks.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 am

Herms posted a look at his rough draft of the full translation over on Twitter via images, not inhibited by the stupid 140 character count.
  • Toyotaro: I've read the plot for the new story, and I'm really happy a certain future-related character is going to be involved. I'm a huge fan!
    Toriyama: That's a pretty popular character! Hopefully the kids will be happy.
With this wording, it's pretty straightforward. While it maaaaay not be Trunks, it's an existing character that has ties to what we deem the "future". The selection for that is pretty limited for Dragon Ball.