When did the Super Saiyan stop becoming sacred for you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: When did the Super Saiyan stop becoming sacred for you?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Trunks when first watching it, now it's a badass moment but the first time I saw it, I was like "This random kid can turn SS ? :think: ". Same with Goten and Trunks but we didn't get to see why and it doesn't feel earned.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm

When the characters start talking and acting on surpassing SSJ. It was trashed so fast, that all the mysticism was quickly lost. We had Tenshinhan and everybody else going insane about how amazing SSJ was, only for a few chapters to pass and be deemed useless after Vegeta lost to Lazuli.

It was never given a chance to be a significant point in the characters progression. Compared it with Super Saiyan God, that is still relevant a couple of arcs in. Super Saiyan should've gotten the same treatment.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:00 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:Definitely when Goten and Kid Trunks got it. Watching Trunks, Goku, Gohan and Vegeta obtain it through rage/tough training, I disliked how those two brats got it so easily.
I agree with you on this. Vegeta's reaction to it encapsulates the entire situation: "When has the legendary Super Saiyan been reduced to a child's play?" and "Naturally, its a Super Saiyan bargain sale."
These are literally the most Meta words ever written.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:It didn't help that FUNimation's "Rock the Dragon" opening used a later animation where Goku drops down and explodes into Super Saiyan, so even if you were blindly following JUST the dub in syndication, you saw it coming a mile away.
You know, I wonder if that in itself actually added to the significance of the moment. You knew what the Super Saiyan was, you knew it was coming, but you didn't necessarily know when or where or how.

As an example: For anyone who's watched/read HunterXHunter, I had been watching the 2011 version mostly blind a few months ago, and...let's just say I had seen pictures of a certain version of Gon many months beforehand. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it would be a part of the series eventually. So there were episodes where I was just thinking, "is the moment going to happen yet? Is it going to happen yet?" And when it DID happen, it felt incredibly significant. Like, something the entire arc had been building up to (even if that wasn't the author's original intention).

It did remind me of what it'd be like for people watching dubbed DBZ. Knowing Goku was going to go Super Saiyan eventually, knowing what it looked like, but not necessarily knowing when or the context behind it. While, for that audience, the transformation wouldn't have the shock factor of, say, the people reading it Jump for the first time. It had something else. Expectations.
That's actually how a lot of things in the series were for me, most notably Super Saiyan 3. I'd seen it on the back of the box of one of the DBZ action figures I'd gotten. Later still, I saw a complete overview of the future transformations in an issue of Beckett. Made me extremely hyped to see the form. So much so that I was expecting Vegeta to reach the form after coming out of the RoSaT and fighting Cell, because his hair was starting to grow a bit during the transformation sequence into his Grade II form. When it finally happened on the air for me, it was amazing.

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 pm

For me it was the introduction of No. 17 and No. 18. Watching future Gohan and Vegeta struggle and get beat down I couldn't help think "damn, these are just two human teenagers with machine parts, and they're beating the crap out of guys even stronger than Freeza". And then came questions of how a single human scientist managed to create technology far more advanced than anything from Freeza's empire, despite the advantages of FTL travel, regeneration technology, etc. I enjoyed the story arc over all, but I feel like it was a step backwards in story telling.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm

^ that's a fair assessment.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:07 pm

The minute future Trunks got it. Didn't take a rocket scientist to realize what it was going to lead to.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:02 am

VegettoEX wrote:It was well before I ever got to that point in the series, because so many types of media and merchandise had spoiled the fact that tons of characters eventually got it. One need only look at the back of any issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly in the mid-90s to have the "secret" or "surprise" ruined.
Right here. Echoing my story again, Iwent through the series with FUNimation's dub, but did not stop watching with any great regularity until just before Buu, and had read about future events in print a little ways before. I didn't have time to form an attachment left to bronze- a bit hard to when the first transformation you saw in context was Super Saiyan 3. Which leads me also to Vegetto's conclusion; never "sacred", but that lets you enjoy the highlights and sideline Goten and Trunks.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:27 am

lancerman wrote:The minute future Trunks got it. Didn't take a rocket scientist to realize what it was going to lead to.
Reallly? I mean, did you figure out Future Trunks would curbstomp Frieza & Cold, only to be curbstomped by some random Androids that far ahead?

Unless your a seasoned anime fan, I dont think you can exactly pin-point the direction Toriyama was headed with Android Arc to be honest

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 am

For me, the Super Saiya-jin isn't as "sacred" as I thought anymore.

Literally DISLIKED how Son Goten and Torankusu (Kid) obtained the form just out of the blue

Now I can see why Son Gokōu, Son Gohan, Bejita and Torankusu (Future) achieved such a form... But them....no...just no.
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:49 am

For me is was as soon as Vegeta got it. I think I felt that there should be only one Super Saiyan in existence at a time since the legend was so hyped up about this powerful warrior. I got the vibe from the story that Goku was a descendant of the first Super Saiyan, which is why not just anyone can attain it. I guess i felt like it was a sharingan - Uchiha thing only type of deal. Meaning it was only possible for Goku's bloodline, but boy was I wrong!

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 am

When they decided to give it to everyone else not named Goku. With him it was a looong but tense buildup. You felt it. The others ? Felt like Oprah just giving everyone one for the sake of it.

Which is a shame.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:49 am

When Gokuu got his arse handed to him in the legendary form by a random clown robot built on Earth. For me, that was when the mystique kind of faded.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am

Vijay wrote:
lancerman wrote:The minute future Trunks got it. Didn't take a rocket scientist to realize what it was going to lead to.
Reallly? I mean, did you figure out Future Trunks would curbstomp Frieza & Cold, only to be curbstomped by some random Androids that far ahead?

Unless your a seasoned anime fan, I dont think you can exactly pin-point the direction Toriyama was headed with Android Arc to be honest
Well to be far Trunk pretty much stated everyone was going SS in his timeline.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:48 am

TheMikado wrote:
Vijay wrote:

Well to be far Trunk pretty much stated everyone was going SS in his timeline.
Really? Trunks only said the Androids killed everyone, with only Son Gohan escaping but even him..whike Goku never even fought the Androids as he died from heart disease.

Where did the everyone going SSJ line came from?

To add to the topic, its not that SSJ stopped being sacred or anything at all for me. Its a majestic state. Most iconic & distinguishable state in anime history. Just one glance at Naruto or Ichigo or Adult Gon & you can instantly recollect the borrowed traces of SSJ

With that being said, I kinda felt this sometime when watching M8. Looking at LSSJ Broly's form & display of brutality (an obvious trait of Saiyan race), kinda felt other "regular" SSJ states as ASSJ, USSJ, FPSSJ to be "less sacred".

Maybe dats got to do with my general perception of LSSJ form being represented by Broly so perfectly, while with Goku & others it was watered-down.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:57 am

When Vegeta got it. Not because he achieved it, but the fact he got it while having a hissy fit about being weak just showed that it wasn't that big a deal to do it.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Interesting question.

The Super Saiyan transformation has always been memorable for me; it's simplicity yet significant change in a character's personality/strength was something that I deeply loved when I was young.

Growing up watching both anime, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, at the same time, I got to see bits and pieces of all the sagas that were ever made years after their original syndication. DBZ's Android Saga opening and the Latin American commercials already "ruined" the surprise for me, but not knowing the chronological context behind it made me curious as to when/where/how Goku and Co. would eventually achieve it. I was surprised and pleased watching the Frieza saga for the first time and finding out that it was during that time when the transformation first occurred. Storywise, it made sense. "Of course Goku would transform during his fight with Frieza" was my thought process at the time. :)

I would have to say, however, that it was Super Saiyan 4 that made me feel that the transformation became "cheap". The design, while looking cool, was too radically different. That and combine it with GT's storyline made the experience worse.

As for Goten and Trunks, I never found it to be cheap. I reasoned that they were most likely conceived when their fathers were already stronger than Frieza. Stronger sperm=stronger child? :oops:
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:04 pm

It was probably around the time that Vegeta became a Super Saiyan. I'd actually say that the Super Saiyan form stood out the most during the early Android stuff; I'd kind of become desensitized to Goku's new form by the end of the Frieza battle, but seeing SSJs among the much brighter and more varied color palate of the Cell arc rather than the murky greens of Namek and amongst a wider variety of characters restored much of the luster and appeal for me. So for me, the Super Saiyan form probably seems its most impressive and special during the return of Frieza to SSJ Goku vs. Android 19 and 20 stretch. By the time Gohan becomes a SSJ, the form seems about as mundane as it does anywhere else in the franchise ala the movies, GT, or Super. "Yeah, it's Dragon Ball, of course there's going to be Super Saiyans, whatever."

Of course, the impact would be muted somewhat eventually by sheer episode count, even if Goku had remained the only Super Saiyan. Vegeta's transformation kind of diminishes things for me because all eyes are no longer on only Goku and Trunks, but the impact might have started becoming diluted not too much longer afterwards because the SSJ form was already about 35 episodes old by that point, and probably maintained its freshness only as long as it did because most people had gone through close to 250 pre-SSJ episodes.

On a random note, I always liked Vegeta's role in the Garlic Jr. arc. Served as a nice extension to his Frieza self's villain status and a small bridge to the android arc. Garlic Jr. actually helped the SSJ form to feel more impressive to me by expanding the amount of time that Goku was the only SSJ, and returning the focus to characters who'd never seen a Super Saiyan and could only wonder what it was like and feel lesser in comparison.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:58 pm

Vijay wrote:

I mean you have this big power up. Only 1 character can do it. Another character shows up confirming that anybody in the race can do it. The next bad guys are worse than the old bad guy who you needed the power up to beat. There are two other people that have the capability to do it and one of them is obsessed with it. Not hard to see the tease there.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 am

I'd say I stopped caring when Vegeta, Trunks, and Goku did it all in a row during Rock the Dragon.