Suggestion: If you like GT, read Young Jiji's DBAF

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Suggestion: If you like GT, read Young Jiji's DBAF

Post by successoroffate » Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

I've just finished reading Jiji's DBAF. For a fan made job, it's really good. He does reuse some panels from the DBZ Manga but the storytelling is solid in my opinion. Every character gets some love, I cried a little ( a lot) when Goku came back. Here's another suggestion, I read it while listening to the GT Japanese BGM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBSwDnuG7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xis_kD ... D16B7DC8AE

I was able to mark down different tracks for different situations (Someone gets a power up, Someone dies, something funny happens, Something really sad happens, New enemy) and it made my experience 100 times better. When Goku came back I've used this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcUFEfbrQc

If you already read it, I wouldn't mind if you want to discuss or talk about it!
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Suggestion: If you like GT, read Young Jiji's DBAF

Post by Zenkai » Thu May 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Where do you read it at?

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 pm

I bought it from Amazon....But if you look for it to read it online, you'll find it.
-----
-----

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 19, 2016 7:02 pm

You bought an unlicensed copy of an unlicensed fan project with an unlicensed translation. Please don't do that :(
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 pm

I agree with VegettoEX. I don't purchase any unlicensed or bootleg items. Another fan manga (DB Multiverse) sells some copies at conventions, but at least that one is readily available to read for free online.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You bought an unlicensed copy of an unlicensed fan project with an unlicensed translation. Please don't do that :(
Oh come on, don't give me that look. I support the official release as well, I still buy official licensed merchandise whenever I can to even things out.

Zenkai wrote:
"I agree with VegettoEX. I don't purchase any unlicensed or bootleg items. Another fan manga (DB Multiverse) sells some copies at conventions, but at least that one is readily available to read for free online."

It's the same...and people really love DB Multiverse. I used to be a fan until it got convoluted. It's $4 each and to be honest, I don't know why but it wasn't sold to me by a third party, it was sold directly by Amazon...which is.."Fishy" cause they're making money out of it.
Also, I don't know if this applies to some fans as well, but when I was kid growing up as a DB fan in a 3rd world country, most of the toys you find were bootleg or "not licensed." Now I'm aware that it was wrong but me buying these copies, I didn't do it with malice since I love anything post GT. Take Absalon for example, even if it's free, they're probably making some money out of it so, they get a pass?

The other reason why I got them is because I mistakenly thought I was supporting Jiji at some level. I mean, Look how far Toyotaro got from doing the same. He got TOEI/Toriyama/Shueisha's attention and he has a job with them now.
-----
-----

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 19, 2016 8:45 pm

You're misunderstanding.

We have no idea who it is that's publishing this version of Young Jiji's comic. It's not them. The actual artist isn't doing it.

Furthermore, they're publishing it with Herms' translation.

Someone is literally profiting off of Young Jiji's comic and Herms' translation - both of which are done and available for free - without any party's consent.

Please be more cognizant of what you're all doing out there when purchasing things.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu May 19, 2016 9:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You're misunderstanding.

We have no idea who it is that's publishing this version of Young Jiji's comic. It's not them. The actual artist isn't doing it.

Someone is literally profiting off of Young Jiji's comic and Herms' translation - both of which are done and available for free - without any party's consent.

Please be more cognizant of what you're all doing out there when purchasing things.
Yeah, Once I got it, I did find out it wasn't Young Jiji's selling it and I also didn't know it was Herms who did the translation until I was actually holding the copy. So, I won't apologize for it because I did have fun reading it and I did it without knowing all the facts (I mean, it's my money), but you're right, I'll be more careful next time.

Edit: One more thing, Just out of curiosity...have you at least read it? Or Fan projects are not something you like?
-----
-----

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 pm

I wonder which party would actually have to complain to Amazon to get them to stop selling it. Viz? Shueisha? Young Jiji? Herms? ...Funimation?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri May 20, 2016 12:49 am

You can get all AF volumes here, free: https://nwoscans.wordpress.com/dragon-b ... ung-jijii/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 am

Doesn't this belong in the fan works section?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 20, 2016 6:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:You bought an unlicensed copy of an unlicensed fan project with an unlicensed translation. Please don't do that :(
It's been there for a few years now so if it was unlicensed wouldn't viz, Funimation or someone official have requested it to be taken down ? is there a chance that whoever's selling it got a license from someone to sell it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 20, 2016 6:52 am

There is zero chance that someone acquired the rights to publish a Japanese fan manga based on another property with someone else's translation on Amazon.

It's done through the self-publishing channels which don't really have any oversight. Asking why this one thing in particular isn't taken down is like asking why (________ insert bootleg website here ________) isn't taken down yet: there are generally bigger fish to fry. It would be great if enough people to raise a stink by reporting on the Amazon page to do something about it, because that's all that will work.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri May 20, 2016 6:57 am

I am pretty sure that even if they would have gotten the license we would at least know that they also asked Herms as Herms has also to be asked for that, as he was the translator.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri May 20, 2016 8:34 am

You know, I was trying to get a debate about the content itself...
-----
-----

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 20, 2016 8:40 am

successoroffate wrote:You know, I was trying to get a debate about the content itself...
Might be better for the mass thread? - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=16235
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 am

Ajay wrote:
successoroffate wrote:You know, I was trying to get a debate about the content itself...
Might be better for the mass thread? - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=16235
Oh, you're right. Thanks.
-----
-----

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am

This is a good point, but the fact is, it exists, it's in demand, and it's a lot nicer to have a hard tangible copy of something to display on a shelf, hold, flip through, than just digital images on an electronic screen.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 pm

TenshinFan wrote:

This is a good point, but the fact is, it exists, it's in demand, and it's a lot nicer to have a hard tangible copy of something to display on a shelf, hold, flip through, than just digital images on an electronic screen.
Thank you.
-----
-----

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Fri May 20, 2016 3:03 pm

I'd be willing to wager the majority of posters on this forum have bootleg/knock-off action figures or such, this is hardly a difference I think.

Maybe throw Herms 5 bucks as a "thx babe"? Ha ha.