How Trunks and Gohan should interact

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

How Trunks and Gohan should interact

Post by Kishido » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 am

Gohan: Hi Trunks... long time no see. I heared everything what is going on but do not worry my dad and Vegeta will help you out.

*Trunks punching Gohan straight into a wall*

Trunks: What happened to you Gohan!? Have you forgotten everything what happened at the Cell saga and after it?

Gohan: But Trunks... Do not worry this time around

Trunks: AND WHAT IS IF GOKU AND VEGETA ARE NO MORE!?

Vegeta/Goku/Piccolo: ...

Trunks: You can't always rely on them! You don't know what the future brings for you... I heared about Buu. If not for your dad been brought to live again, AGAINST HIS WILL at the Cell saga, the world would have been gone! Your dad and everyone had such high hopes in you that he entrusted you the safety of the earth after Cell.

Gohan: But I have family... I'm not a born fighter... And actually from time to time I'm still training with Piccolo-san

Trunks: And who will protect your family and even my family in the future!!! I never wanted to fight as well but I see the horror of the future... Same as for my master... Who has been YOU!

*Vegeta/Goku/Piccolo are smirking*

*Gohan looking at Pan and the rest of the family*

Gohan: Videl... Take care of Pan... I will be back soon... Dad please bring me to Whis-san...

PS
Trunks: Same goes for Goten and the little me over there!

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Re: How Trunks and Gohan should interact

Post by JimmyRustam » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:00 am

I don't think that Gohan will ever train with Whis, that isn't something he would do.
But of course i can be wrong about this.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:55 am

Knew it was going to be one of those threads just by the title. How predictable. And Trunks looks like a hypocrite given that he couldn't handle the problems in his own time and to run to the past for help, again. Plus, I bet even a weakened Gohan can easily handle Future Trunks, especially if Trunks can't even go Super Saiyan 2.

Honestly, Trunks will be happy for Gohan since he is allow to live in peace in a world that he helped create. He has a family, a job, and even his father back, while his Gohan is got a dog's death and is buried somewhere.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 am

HeroR wrote:Knew it was going to be one of those threads just by the title. How predictable. And Trunks looks like a hypocrite given that he couldn't handle the problems in his own time and to run to the past for help, again. Plus, I bet even a weakened Gohan can easily handle Future Trunks, especially if Trunks can't even go Super Saiyan 2.

Honestly, Trunks will be happy for Gohan since he is allow to live in peace in a world that he helped create. He has a family, a job, and even his father back, while his Gohan is got a dog's death and is buried somewhere.
It's not about this but over the fact that Gohan has again forgotten to not rely on Goku.

It happened after Cell saga even with Goku sacrificing for him and now after Z.

As smart as Gohan is he should now his potential and that he can't hope that Goku will be always there.

At the Buu saga it even has been pointed out that Goku wanted to leave it for the next generation to handle but at the end it needed him.

He even get back to life against his will from the Cell saga.

Trunks can be happy at Gohan living with his family but still point out what the future may bring... And it would be nice throwback seeing as Gohan is nearly the same age as Badass future Gohan.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:17 am

Kishido wrote:
It's not about this but over the fact that Gohan has again forgotten to not rely on Goku.

It happened after Cell saga even with Goku sacrificing for him and now after Z.

As smart as Gohan is he should now his potential and that he can't hope that Goku will be always there.

At the Buu saga it even has been pointed out that Goku wanted to leave it for the next generation to handle but at the end it needed him.

He even get back to life against his will from the Cell saga.

Trunks can be happy at Gohan living with his family but still point out what the future may bring... And it would be nice throwback seeing as Gohan is nearly the same age as Badass future Gohan.
And Trunks still looks like a hypocrite since he couldn't handle the problems in his own time despite being the last defender, and Gohan will still most likely be stronger than him despite slacking off. So, Trunks telling Gohan off comes off as shallow, especially if he couldn't reach Super Saiyan 2.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:16 am

They'll probably use it as an opportunity to have Trunks say a throwaway line basically mocking Gohan's loss of strength or how he's pathetic compared to his future counterpart.

Either that or something similarly demeaning like him being effortlessly KO'd in a scuffle. Toei are very predictable when it comes to Gohan's handling in Super, which is always bad.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:51 am

I mean, they could handle Gohan deciding not to fight in a way that wasn't embarrassing to his character...if this wasn't Dragon Ball, the story where your sense of worth is directly related to your fighting ability, with perhaps Bulma as the only exception. This isn't just a fandom thing, this is how the story treats its characters. With actual dismissal and mocking in Gohan's case.

Although I don't think he'd need Future Trunks lecturing him for him to understand if he already had that revelation in Episode 27. At that point, it'd start getting repetitive. Unless Toei forgets that little set-up they made.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:57 am

HeroR wrote:Honestly, Trunks will be happy for Gohan since he is allow to live in peace in a world that he helped create. He has a family, a job, and even his father back, while his Gohan is got a dog's death and is buried somewhere.
Exactly. If Trunks were a more bitter person, I could see him being jealous as well, particularly of the life his own younger counterpart is living in the past timeline, but more likely he'd just be happy for them all.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 am

Everyone needs to let Gohan enjoy his retirement. It's not like he's going to eclipse Goku and Vegeta again anyway. Instead let the fighters get stronger. When's the last time Piccolo got a power up? In any case, they now have Beerus and Whis. They don't need to interrupt Gohan's retreat.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:32 am

Shinomori wrote:Everyone needs to let Gohan enjoy his retirement.
Retirement? Pretty sure he's only in his 20s. He's supposed to be in his prime right now just like Goku was.

We can't have that though, that would make far too much sense.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 am

I don't Trunks will be disappointed/mad or anything like that, HeroR said it best. I think they'll actually work together in the new arc, which could tie back nicely to Future Gohan - something Toriyama kind of dropped the ball on previously.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:14 am

There are many ways on how they should interact, I just hope they do interact with each other in a good way. After getting that weak Jaco and Goku relationship that doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact Jaco was sent to Earth to wipe it out from Goku, I'll keep my expectations low.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:16 am

Trunks while surprised by Gohan's change, should be happy after seeing how far he has came.
Gohan has his own family and he's doing what he likes, while Future Gohan died without fulfill any dream he could have, because they lived in a era that didn't allow it.

Trunks should come up with a matured speech about how the greatest battle Gohan won, was not against Cell but having his own family.

Both should still talk about Gohan's lack of training.
Gohan realized in ROF arc ending that he should get in shape, in order to protect his loved ones in the future. But he still doesn't know that Trunks just lost everything.

I'm hoping for some serious and emotional conversation between these two and I'm curious to see how they will deliver it, but my hopes are low.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:17 am

Power wise Gohan isn't too weak by Z standards. In fact, Trunks would probably appreciate that Gohan's started his own family more than the fact that he's still buff and still is the best at hitting people.
Last edited by nite_jay on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:18 am

Trunks will probably be happy to see Gohan with a family.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Hopefully to both get stronger. Gohan's character picks up where the beginning of the Champa arc left him off. They both share the motivation to protect their worlds, and both try to make the world a better place. Trunks to make his future better, and Gohan to give Pan and Videl a peaceful future.

How will it go down? Probably Gohan devolving yet again, and Trunks being happy at least the other Gohan settled down. Trunks is allowed to be someone who fights for others despite not being a fighter at heart, but not Gohan for some reason.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:18 pm

NitroEX wrote: Retirement? Pretty sure he's only in his 20s. He's supposed to be in his prime right now just like Goku was.

We can't have that though, that would make far too much sense.
Goku is still in his prime. It doesn't just cut off after 30 for Saiyans. If anything, Goku is in the "best prime" of his life right now because that's how Dragon Ball works.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Trunks probably stopped training himself.

He's not Goku or Vegeta. He's not allowed to in Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Nine years has passed since he defeated Cell, if he had continued his training, he would get at least Super Saiyan 2, which it didn't seem to be the case.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Trunks slowly realizes this is not the past he came to when he fought Cell, instead he finds himself trapped in a world with hollow caricatures, a talking cat, and a Goku who beat the heart virus but is suffering from retardation.