"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by thaman91 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:06 pm

ABED wrote:I'm the exact opposite. I don't know why so many like her Goku, even love it, but hate her Gohan. Her Gohan sounds the most natural (we're talking on a relative scale), but her Goku is atrocious, from the raspy voice, the unnatural up and down delivery to Goku's dialog and that laugh that's supposed to sound cute but sounds more like Woody Woodpecker. Vollmer's voice, sounds best coming from an older Bulma, we're talking a GT era Bulma.
Interesting. Which Gohan voice of hers are you saying sounds natural though? Her original dubbed version, or the re-dub version? Because to my ears, the re-dub version sounds exactly like her Goku, with the difference being that it doesn't suit Gohan. On the other hand, I quite liked Nadolny's Saffron-Henderson-imitation voice, even though the acting wasn't as good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

thaman91 wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm the exact opposite. I don't know why so many like her Goku, even love it, but hate her Gohan. Her Gohan sounds the most natural (we're talking on a relative scale), but her Goku is atrocious, from the raspy voice, the unnatural up and down delivery to Goku's dialog and that laugh that's supposed to sound cute but sounds more like Woody Woodpecker. Vollmer's voice, sounds best coming from an older Bulma, we're talking a GT era Bulma.
Interesting. Which Gohan voice of hers are you saying sounds natural though? Her original dubbed version, or the re-dub version? Because to my ears, the re-dub version sounds exactly like her Goku, with the difference being that it doesn't suit Gohan. On the other hand, I quite liked Nadolny's Saffron-Henderson-imitation voice, even though the acting wasn't as good.
I said it sounds the MOST natural, not that it ever sounds natural, and I have never thought her Goku and Gohan sounded the same. There's a completely different cadence to the deliveries and her Gohan has more rasp.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 pm

I've always preferred Nadolny as Goku myself. Not as good as Masako Nozawa of course, but Nadolny's redub Gohan makes me shudder. Her Gohan is only good during the Cell Games. Clinkenbeard's Gohan fits way better even if I'm not a fan of her Cell Games Gohan. I think that the moment Gohan got out of the Room of Spirit and Time in Kai they should have put Nadolny in as I think with better direction and an accurate script she would be at least decent. Again though my preference will always be Masako Nozawa for both.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I've always preferred Nadolny as Goku myself. Not as good as Masako Nozawa of course, but Nadolny's redub Gohan makes me shudder. Her Gohan is only good during the Cell Games. Clinkenbeard's Gohan fits way better even if I'm not a fan of her Cell Games Gohan. I think that the moment Gohan got out of the Room of Spirit and Time in Kai they should have put Nadolny in as I think with better direction and an accurate script she would be at least decent. Again though my preference will always be Masako Nozawa for both.
Because puberty, right?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I've always preferred Nadolny as Goku myself. Not as good as Masako Nozawa of course, but Nadolny's redub Gohan makes me shudder. Her Gohan is only good during the Cell Games. Clinkenbeard's Gohan fits way better even if I'm not a fan of her Cell Games Gohan. I think that the moment Gohan got out of the Room of Spirit and Time in Kai they should have put Nadolny in as I think with better direction and an accurate script she would be at least decent. Again though my preference will always be Masako Nozawa for both.
Because puberty, right?
That's exactly the case.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:25 pm

Well, getting back on topic, I don't expect any particular announcement of interest at the upcoming panel. Some have been theorizing that Super's getting announced there, which would mean Buu Kai has been skipped. Like I said, I doubt there will be any noteworthy announcement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Buu Kai has been canceled in favor of Super.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Well, getting back on topic, I don't expect any particular announcement of interest at the upcoming panel. Some have been theorizing that Super's getting announced there, which would mean Buu Kai has been skipped. Like I said, I doubt there will be any noteworthy announcement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Buu Kai has been canceled in favor of Super.
But it was already confirmed by Sean Schemmel not to long ago that everyone finished recording it and that we were for sure going to get it. He just finished recording his lines not to long ago.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Well, getting back on topic, I don't expect any particular announcement of interest at the upcoming panel. Some have been theorizing that Super's getting announced there, which would mean Buu Kai has been skipped. Like I said, I doubt there will be any noteworthy announcement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Buu Kai has been canceled in favor of Super.
I highly doubt they'll skip it since the dub seems to be pretty much done at this point. That would be a huge waste of time and resources. Maybe they'll convince Toei to let them go straight to home release so they can premiere Super on Toonami after Cell ends, but completely ditching Boo after putting the time and money into dubbing it? I don't see that happening.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Its not getting skipped. Thats just ridiculous. Way too many people have off the record spoken about it in relatively large detail. And I'm not even trying to come to that from a wishful perspective. I could not honestly see them skipping it.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Yeah I just don't see the logic in not releasing it. This isn't a situation like Ocean Kai where they just can't seem to find a network for the show. FUNi's Kai has a network: Toonami. Dubbing for the show is finished. Actors have been paid. Money has been put into this project. At this point, the question of whether or not they should release the show essentially seems like a question of whether or not they'd be okay losing money on their investment. And I just can't imagine a scenario where they'd be okay losing money like that. Although, I don't work in that industry so if anyone who does thinks differently, let me know where my thinking might be off.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 pm

thaman91 wrote:Yeah I just don't see the logic in not releasing it. This isn't a situation like Ocean Kai where they just can't seem to find a network for the show. FUNi's Kai has a network: Toonami. Dubbing for the show is finished. Actors have been paid. Money has been put into this project. At this point, the question of whether or not they should release the show essentially seems like a question of whether or not they'd be okay losing money on their investment. And I just can't imagine a scenario where they'd be okay losing money like that. Although, I don't work in that industry so if anyone who does thinks differently, let me know where my thinking might be off.
I think it maybe something to do with TOEI possibly gumming up the process.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:33 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote: I think it maybe something to do with TOEI possibly gumming up the process.
But isn't the commonly accepted rumor that Toei wants television deals? FUNi's Kai has a television deal. I mean, even if Toei wants FUNi to skip directly to Super on television, there's still no logic on Toei's part in preventing FUNi from releasing Buu Kai on Bluray since Toei themselves would be preventing a television airing in this hypothetical case.

But, I dunno. Sean Schemmel did let slip that we might be hearing about a Super dub announcement in July. If that's the case, would it air on Toonami? Would it air instead of Buu Kai? Would it air alongside Buu Kai? Would it simply get released on Bluray and then wait until Buu Kai finishes before airing on Toonami? It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out. Either way, I really hope Buu Kai doesn't get shafted. Because right now, I'm more interested in seeing an accurate version of the Buu arc before I move on to stories that take place after that. The current Z dub for that arc is a fun watch, but it really needs the Kai treatment if it's to fit in with the continuity of the existing Kai dub and the upcoming (likely more accurate) Super dub.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Toei do want TV deals but if one cannot be achieved then they will open up to other possibilities ie home video. Now Kai is airing on Toonami so that could explain the delayed Buu Kai announcement (if we get it tomorrow). Super wise it has been a year I cannot see Toei waiting much longer and risk losing interest in home video sales so I would not be surprised if FUNi do announce Super that it'll be straight to BD.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Does anyone else feel like tomorrow might finally be the day we hear something official??? I know we tend to get our hopes up every time one of these conventions rolls around but....I dunno, I have a good feeling about this one.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I want to hear, obviously, the Majin Saga (that's what I call it) of Kai, and generally Super. But I'm probably only gonna watch the TV cuts of both.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

watpoppin

Post by watpoppin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:33 am

Hi guys,

I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, so I thought I would ask here:

In Canada, the blu ray version of Kai has just gone on sale for the first time (Amazon). I've been tracking the prices of the DBZ blu rays for over a year, and this is the first time they've ever gone on sale here (or ever, according to camelcamelcamel's price tracker). I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing or what. I'm extremely tempted to get them.

But my question is: has anyone heard of a DBZ Kai "complete collection" coming once the Buu saga drops? If so, it'd be better to get something like that as opposed to buying the seasons individually.

If not, I'll probably insta-buy the first four seasons because like I said, I've been patiently waiting for over a year for the price to go down and now's my chance. I'd spent 135 on them all instead of 225.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:40 am

thaman91 wrote:Does anyone else feel like tomorrow might finally be the day we hear something official??? I know we tend to get our hopes up every time one of these conventions rolls around but....I dunno, I have a good feeling about this one.
I feel you. I can't imagine many other opportunities to make such an announcement before September rolls around and we start to get closure to Cell. Unless they want to make confirmation like a week before it ends on Toonami which I hope doesn't happen since it wouldn't get as much awareness before launch XD

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:45 am

watpoppin wrote:Hi guys,

I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, so I thought I would ask here:

In Canada, the blu ray version of Kai has just gone on sale for the first time (Amazon). I've been tracking the prices of the DBZ blu rays for over a year, and this is the first time they've ever gone on sale here (or ever, according to camelcamelcamel's price tracker). I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing or what. I'm extremely tempted to get them.

But my question is: has anyone heard of a DBZ Kai "complete collection" coming once the Buu saga drops? If so, it'd be better to get something like that as opposed to buying the seasons individually.

If not, I'll probably insta-buy the first four seasons because like I said, I've been patiently waiting for over a year for the price to go down and now's my chance. I'd spent 135 on them all instead of 225.
I can't make purchases for you but I recommend getting them now if they're on sale. We have no release date for Buu saga yet let alone it airing. If the deal doesn't last that long you might wanna go for that if you really want Kai that bad. Then wait with the rest of us for Buu to be released XD If they ever do a complete collection it'll probably be a year down the road but you never know with Funimation.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:02 am

thaman91 wrote:Does anyone else feel like tomorrow might finally be the day we hear something official??? I know we tend to get our hopes up every time one of these conventions rolls around but....I dunno, I have a good feeling about this one.
Sabat is at Anime Expo, granted mostly for My Hero but he is there. But FUNimation's panels have been pretty dreadful past few years (showing trailers for old products) so not holding my breath.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:20 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Because puberty, right?
Wasn't he still, like, 10 or 9 then? I know it's not the exact same for everybody but 13's the age where your hormones kick into overdrive. Plus, it'd be a pretty jarring switch.