Dragon Ball Super Seiyuu

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Super Seiyuu

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:03 pm

It's been almost 50 episodes into the series, so I thought this would be a good time to create a thread solely on the Japanese VAs' performance.

What is your personal opinion of their performance? Any interesting thought on their take on certain characters? For instance, what's your insight on Nozawa's take on her Black character? Any pros and cons?

Discussin' away without any restrictions, ye mate! :)
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Seiyuu

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:It's been almost 50 episodes into the series, so I thought this would be a good time to create a thread solely on the Japanese VAs' performance.

What is your personal opinion of their performance? Any interesting thought on their take on certain characters? For instance, what's your insight on Nozawa's take on her Black character? Any pros and cons?

Discussin' away without any restrictions, ye mate! :)
I actually don't mind most of them. Maybe it is because I don't speak Japanese but they emotional tones seem just about right and no-one is too high/low for me in terms of voices...and even the higher voices aren't screeching.

I love hearing Beerus talk BTW. Least favorite voice would be Whis I think but mainly during his OMG FOOD moments.

Only thing is...my favorite Goku will always be Sean Schemmel in Kai.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Derf

Post by Derf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 pm

I grew up with the old school Funimation voice actors, so they'll always have a special place in my heart. That said, the only VA I really actively don't like in Super is actually Nozawa. Her voice doesn't fit Goku in the slightest. I know Goku is supposed to sound kind of innocent and naive, but he sounds like he never hit puberty - especially when compared to Vegeta's (rather excellent) VA.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Sure, they're all right. I mean, they're awesome, but for me, FUNimation is a lot better. My favorite... I'd have to go with Videl or Bulma.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 pm

I have and always will have a ton of respect for the original JPN cast. I haven't watch a ton of super, but most of the original cast is still awesome (sucks that Mr. Satan and Tenshinhan's actors died, they we're two of my favorites).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:46 am

Derf wrote:Her voice doesn't fit Goku in the slightest.
People who grew up with Nozawa will certainly say the opposite, that none of the American voice actors match Goku at all.

Anyway, as with any other Dragon Ball series, voice acting is a highlight in Super. Other than the obvious (Nozawa, Horikawa), i would point out:

Takeshi Kusao - he's showing his Future Trunks is still on point, and seeing him interact with the kid version, while they sound nothing alike (which i always found impressive), makes his work even more awesome.

Koichi Yamadera - Beerus' voice makes for a great part of his charisma, and Yamadera does a voice and character pretty different from his usual fare, he clearly has a lot of fun with the role. I just can't picture the character any other way.

As for the new characters, i think none of them had screentime enough for their VAs to shine, but Vados, Champa and Hit sound pretty good. I'm looking forward to listen to Zamasu and the high profile VA he got.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:56 am

I really miss Joji Yanami. I was so sad hearing his voice as kaio. Hopefully he is doing ok. The guy was excellent in his prime. Right now my favorite VA is Beerus tieing with VA of HIT. Their voice matches their personality really well. Plus I really like deep voices.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:22 am

I used to hate the japanese cast. Now I've grown much more fond of them.

Nozawa: Goku's voice fits him imo, even though I prefer Schemmel. Honestly Schemmel just can't be beat imo. Nozawa's Black Goku is straight up amazing. Really has a menacing tone which suprised me. I don't like her for Gohan though. Just doesn't fit him as much imo. Goten is pretty good, tied with Funimation dub.

Vegeta: I think I slightly prefer him over his Funimation counterpart. I like them both.

Piccolo: Wow I love his voice in Japanese WAY more. He sounds like a brute with Funimation but has a charismatic voice in Japanese. Reminds me of Hit's which I also love.

Beerus and Whis: I slightly prefer Beerus' funimation voice. Whis' voice sounds pretty much the same in both languages.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:45 am

Tsuru Hiromi still refuses to emote, but at least she's doing better than in Dragon Ball Kai. Otherwise, everyone is trying, at least. Yamadera Kou'ichi's work as Beers is still some of the best work in the series, although he hasn't had much of a chance to really shine lately.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:34 am

I despise Super but i will definitely credit the VA's for giving their all. The entire cast while definitely not at their best is still good. Nozawa even though she is what 80 is impressive case in point ep 39 that Kaio Ken x10 scream was mind blowing. I really can't imagine Gokuu without Nozawa like Toriyama.
As an evil Black Gokuu Nozawa for me has given probably her 2nd best performance after Gokuu and Bardock. Case in point that maniacal laugh in ep 48.

Some of the new additions are the highlights Mitsuo Iwata is a great addition to the cast. Kouichi Yamadera is amazing as always. Kazuhiro Yamaji as Hitto was good too. Natsuki Hanae as Jaco is my favorite among all the new VAs. The one i am most excited for is Shinichorou Miki he is yet to make his debut.

As for the cons while it has been only 3 episodes since the Trunks arc began so my opinion could change but Takeshi Kusao has failed to leave a mark as Mirai Trunks so far. Toru Furuya is so underwhelming maybe cause he knows Yamcha won't be doing anything important. It feels like he isn't even trying. Masami Kikuchi as Monaca doesn't impress me even slightly just like the character itself. I still haven't got used to Naoki Tatsuta as narrator no one can ever replace Jouji Yanami.

But overall Super atleast in terms of voice acting has been good for the most part.

- Travis

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 am

I grew up with Japanese/Cantonese VA's, and I have a strong feeling that the Japanese voice actor's have been instructed to act less seriously and more childish in Super. I didn't have that feeling with Kai.Anyway, I think the performance are a lot better in this new arc especially Nozawa performance with Black.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Echoing the sentiment of Nozawa as Black being stellar. Just, wow, she sounds so amazing like that...reminds me of her Burdock voice, which I always found sexy.

Mitsuo Iwata as Champa was really a treat. The way he switched between smug asshole to whiny brat was fun to listen to, and a great match for Kouichi Yamadera's serious/silly Beerus. And both attendants are superb, as well (Masakazu Morita cracks me up whenever he's doing any "alien language" stuff with Whis).

I know many people are annoyed by the Pilaf Gang's presence, but at the very least, Shigeru Chiba is hilarious to listen to, even if the humor itself doesn't always hit.

Takeshi Kusao as double Trunks is giving it his all. Future Trunks is a bit subdued, perhaps, but his kid Trunks has been really great ever since Kai (I think I said back when Boo Kai was airing that I liked it even more than his Z performance).

Shit, I think what I'm saying is I love pretty much everyone :lol: And I'm highly anticipating one of my all-time favorites, Shinichirou Miki, joining the cast.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 am

I really love Beerus for the most part from the new characters. How he changes his pitch when he is angry is pretty menacing and then he moves on the fun side again.
Also, Whis is totally enjoyable. I wouldn't recognize the modern voice of Seiya and Tidus from Final Fantasy (also Tarble) if I didn't read it's him.
His performance is charming and funny. You could have recognized his more usual voice from Copy Vegeta in the Superhuman Water arc.
I simply love the voice.

On the other hand, I grew up with the Japanese cast, so Kai nor Super didn't bring me any novelty into the series, but I would love some thread to discuss the Japanese actors.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 pm

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with Tatsuta's ability to channel Yanami's voice. If you weren't already aware, I can absolutely buy you wouldn't be able to tell that Kaio and the narrator's voices changed at all.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 pm

That Kaioken scene must've brought Masako Nozawa back 20 years, because holy cow she laid down the gauntlet. Her evil voices will always be my favorite. I still like how they gave Hit a more older voice, that's pretty cool. Mitsuo Iwata and Kou'ichi Yamadera are probably my favorites in Super, though.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Each episode I get through, I love Horikawa more, he's a delight to hear and was the first of the Japanese cast I instantly attached to.

I love the God of Destruction and their Attendant siblings, though I'm not that far in with Champa and Vados yet, they're my favorite already, though before that their brothers have been great.

I said in another thread that Super is finally what made Nozawa click for me (in all the roles I've seen thus far, which is Goku and his sons, I'm getting there...!) so I won't go on about that again here. Everyone else is good, but Goku, Vegeta and the God characters are my favorites.

I guess that's easy since they get the most screentime here, but. :lol:

I'll post again once I'm farther and I can say more on it, but I hope this added to the conversation enough... :wink:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Mitsuo Iwata killed it as Champa and I pray he returns at some point again in Super. He was just wonderful to listen to.