New time travel rules (contradictions or not)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: New time travel rules (contradictions or not)?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Grimlock wrote:Where exactly it is stated? I don't remember seeing that explanation during the course of the game.
It's established during Trunks' discussion of Parallel Quests.
  • "Compared to the Scroll of Endings and Beginnings, the fragments are small and can't directly travel time. So we go to that space with a time machine. The time machines were made with the Time Kaioshin to prevent more timelines from being created. Other Time Patrollers in Toki Toki City all do Parallel Quests. You're chosen by Shenlong, so I'm relying on you to do jobs using scrolls. If you have time, also do PQs. They comes from distortions in history, so many impossible things occur. It may feel scary at times, but it's fun once you get used to it."
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:51 pm

That explains why I missed it. Thanks a lot, Devils. :thumbup: Do you know if there's more tidbits like that during the game?
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Geekdom101
Regular

Re: Is nobody gonna mention the new time travel rules?

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:52 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The show established back in Z that if you back into the past, and you change something, that timeline splits off and becomes a new one.

But last episode, and in this episode again, Beerus and Whis explained the butterfly effect, alluding that perhaps it will have an effect in the future of the arc. This is a retcon and completely different from how time travel worked before.
Wrong. The butterfly effect has always happened with time travel in the series. When Trunks first travelled to the past, he changed the timeline he arrived in and because of that, everything happened differently. By going back to his with a solution to his problem, he also changed his own timeline from the future it was supposed to have.
This! Yes! Exactly~!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:09 am

Doctor. wrote: Beerus and Whis explained the butterfly effect, alluding that perhaps it will have an effect in the future of the arc.
That's exactly what happened when he did it last time, everything about Cell and the entire Buu arc wouldn't have happened if he didn't go back in time and change what he did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.